Nexus 7: Loose Micro-USB port!

CL LAI

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Loose Micro-USB port!

Over the years I have experiences with some micro-USB devices, they invariably fail, from iffy to very iffy and then to total failure. I don't know how it comes to be some sort of a standard. I don't care how great the Android device is, how great the screen is. If it's a micro-USB, no thanks.

dougkramer

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. I think you are right on all counts -- except that the micro USB port is designed poorly on purpose -- it's just incompetence.

My Nexus 7 microUSB port is loose, but still charges reliably, but only after replacing the OEM cable. I think the cause was a child pulling too hard on the device while charging.

Buffaloyann

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

I am a Belgian Nexus 7 user and arrived at this forum when I googled my problem.
It's a litte bit reassuring that I am not the only one facing the problem with the charger/usb port.
We have two Nexus 7-tablets and it's the same thing with both the tablets. You have to hold the connector in a certain direction (for exemple I put a book on it when it is placed in the port) to charge the tablet. When you slightly touch the connector, the tablet doesn't charge anymore. Very annoying problem! I am really disappointed in the quality of these connectors/ports. In fact: because of this problem, I wouldn't recommend the tablet to anyone!

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

I am a Belgian Nexus 7 user and arrived at this forum when I googled my problem.
It's a litte bit reassuring that I am not the only one facing the problem with the charger/usb port.
We have two Nexus 7-tablets and it's the same thing with both the tablets. You have to hold the connector in a certain direction (for exemple I put a book on it when it is placed in the port) to charge the tablet. When you slightly touch the connector, the tablet doesn't charge anymore. Very annoying problem! I am really disappointed in the quality of these connectors/ports. In fact: because of this problem, I wouldn't recommend the tablet to anyone!

Have you tried a different cable? I tried a different one and it charged fine and when I used the dodgy cable with my phone, I had the charging problem.

Sent from my HTC One :)

Buffaloyann

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried a different cable? I tried a different one and it charged fine and when I used the dodgy cable with my phone, I had the charging problem.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I tried the charger with the cable from my Nokiaphone and ... it charged fine!! So apparently the problem is neither the connector nor the charger but the cable. Problem solved and thanks again.:D

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I tried the charger with the cable from my Nokiaphone and ... it charged fine!! So apparently the problem is neither the connector nor the charger but the cable. Problem solved and thanks again.:D

Fantastic! I'm so glad this worked for you! I hope other people who have a problem see this and the same solution works :)

jey_253

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I decided to take it a step further today. I too my tablet apart, broke the metal end off of an OTG cable, and manually placed each individual contact on the pins of the N7.............nothing.......
I have the same issue. It charges with a significant amount of pressure applied downward on the cable. Have tried several cables all with same symptom. Im no tech guru....but im pretty sure placing the individual wire eliminated the alignment concern. If I didn't love the OS and the challenge to repair this thing, I would toss it in the trash and not look back. Sadly disappointed by google on this one. I know its Asus who's really at fault....but if I had a vendor who was putting out crappy products....that relationship would definitely be severed and I would expect the wrong to be righted

chiPersei

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

FIXED mine. The first time I knocked it off the night stand (while charging) the port loosened up some but the looseness was from a combination of distortion of both the cable and port. A different cable helped some but it was still looser than it was originally. Second time I knocked it off the stand (again while charging) it really loosened up and none of my various cables would make a difference.

To fix it I removed the back cover (following online instructions from iFixit) and, using my thumbnails, pressed gently on the port to squeeze it's opening a little. Voila! Turns out the ports are made with fairly soft metal and can be distorted (conversely reshaped) easily.

Good luck.

Alan

Luq07

May 8, 2011
Visit site

I agree. It's why I think that the iPhone lightning port is far superior. I wish it wasn't proprietary and everyone would move to lightning connectors.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

I agree. It's why I think that the iPhone lightning port is far superior. I wish it wasn't proprietary and everyone would move to lightning connectors.

I agree, the lightning ports seems to be fantastic quality, and being reversible and magnetic just makes them that much better to use. But I have to say, the micro USB on my HTC One, seems to be quite strong. It's surrounded by hard plastic and an aluminium frame, so if anything will give, it should be the cable.

Tom

SeanBG

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

FIXED mine. The first time I knocked it off the night stand (while charging) the port loosened up some but the looseness was from a combination of distortion of both the cable and port. A different cable helped some but it was still looser than it was originally. Second time I knocked it off the stand (again while charging) it really loosened up and none of my various cables would make a difference.

To fix it I removed the back cover (following online instructions from iFixit) and, using my thumbnails, pressed gently on the port to squeeze it's opening a little. Voila! Turns out the ports are made with fairly soft metal and can be distorted (conversely reshaped) easily.

Good luck.

Alan

Seems to have worked for me as well! Thank you..

gitsNshiggles

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Hey! I had the same problem, but managed to fix it on my own.
Here's a link to a post I made on how I fixed it.

[LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Lo-Fat

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

These complaints, too many, falls under the lemon laws of ASUS incorporation state, use the lemon law and replace the unit everytime the charging port becomes loose on each unit. That is the only viable option at this point, don't bother with the warranty, you wont need when using the lemon law anyway.

I am seriously considering using Illinois' lemon law for the Droid 4 (same issue, loose, and very clean, micro-usb port - third one, too!)

tentmaker1

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

I am having the same issue with my HTC One. I can still get it to make contact but have to place the phone carefully to keep it charging.

Jason Bourne4

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

I recently started having the same problem of not charging. Tried different cables, but no luck. So I sacrificed a USB cable by cutting the micro end off and just taping the stripped wires to the POGO pins (black to top pin, red to bottom pin). Not the nicest fix, but will suffice until I get my Nexus Dock in.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

John B4

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site

I have same problem with having to put pressure on the cord to get it to charge ...... and it charges slow as I have read many others have had happen to them, after software update.

FYI: Tape the ends of your cord so it won't break and bend, they will last longer.

Camo Green

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
i've had this problem for a long time. i just took my cover off and examine it and i think the port is set back too far and it makes the cable wobble. the rubber on the cable connection might be able to be trimmed back just a tad. also, if they made the port flatter, the plug wouldn't be able to wobble. this needs to be redesigned so the plug stays in and stable. i think the constant turning on and off of the charging by this causes the table to turn on by itself and then stay on while charging which keeps it from making a fast and thorough charge. i'm gonna try and tweek it.

ericjung1212

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem with the port and the cord and with the push-down-to-charge thing. What i did was get a new cord and when i looked in the port i saw that the metal outline of the port was slightly bent upward and i bent it down with a paper clip and POOF! It worked. We might not have the same problem so don't do it right away and check if your metal outline part is slightly bent upward. Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz