Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7: Loose Micro-USB port!

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my Nexus 7. Over the last few weeks, the charging port has become loose/faulty. To get it to charge now, I have to apply a light bit of downwards pressure (when the face is up) to get it to charge. This is a pain because now when I charge, I have to put weight on the cable to connect it. Also, I think this is related, I'm having trouble connecting to my computer. Even when it shows it's charging, it won't connect as a USB device anymore and might come up with an error.

Does anyone else have these problems and do they have a fix?

BTW, I can feel a bit of play with my port but it doesn't look particularly bent or out of shape...

Sent from my Nexus 7 :-)
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-22-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Default Re: Loose Micro-USB port!

I had that problem when I accidentally knocked the N7 down from my nightstand. I realized it wasn't the port but the cable itself when I used another USB cable. Hopefully it could be on the cable end and not the N7.

Sent from a tablet on a crappy OS, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by jairusz View Post
    I had that problem when I accidentally knocked the N7 down from my nightstand. I realized it wasn't the port but the cable itself when I used another USB cable. Hopefully it could be on the cable end and not the N7.

Sent from a tablet on a crappy OS, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.
    Thanks for replying! I had thought that it might be the cable but it doesn't seem to wobble too much. Was yours loose?

Sent from my Nexus 7
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Anyone else?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Bump!

Sent from my Nexus 7

I have the opposite problem..
    I find my connector a tad hard to insert -N7 is quite new, bought it two weeks ago. Can't wait to have a charging dock, using the side pins, instead of the USB connector.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by sampoodle View Post
    I have the opposite problem..
    I find my connector a tad hard to insert -N7 is quite new, bought it two weeks ago. Can't wait to have a charging dock, using the side pins, instead of the USB connector.
    I did have that problem but it has worked it's way loose!
    A charging dock would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yup ... same issue ...Had to wobble and/or use weight.

Have to replace port, but repair guy can't source parts yet!

Found these breakdown guides

Have you popped the rear cover and looked at it yet? Could just be a loose screw has let the connector work loose.

btw, in checking for loose screws, I like to try backing (unscrewing) the screw to see if it's loose, not tighten...

Also the pic is with the speaker module (3 screws) removed...
    trxckster and liljew like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Barstow View Post
    Found these breakdown guides

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Have you popped the rear cover and looked at it yet? Could just be a loose screw has let the connector work loose.

btw, in checking for loose screws, I like to try backing (unscrewing) the screw to see if it's loose, not tighten...

Also the pic is with the speaker module (3 screws) removed...
    Thanks for the help. Funnily enough, when I took it apart, the actual USB port didn't seem loose. This made me suspect the USB cable and when I tried my friends cable, it seemed to be normal. I'm confused though because my cable doesn't seem loose either.
    I think I'll try a new charging cable. Do any of you know where to get one?

Tom :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by TomsAndroid View Post
    . Do any of you know where to get one?
    try anamax or other from this list -- i got 2 from anamax and they both work fine, higher quality than the Asus supplied cable too...

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: USB to Micro-USB Cable - 6 Ft.
    Thanked by 2:
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by richareston4 View Post
    Does anyone else have these problems and do they have a fix
    Have you tried a different cable?

Tom

Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-19-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

The cable that came with my N7 32gig came apart at the device end. The part you grip slid right of the connector. I used some superglue to fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I've got the same trouble and it is the port, not the cable.

Same issue this morning
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by GuillaumeAndro View Post
    I've got the same trouble and it is the port, not the cable.
    That sucks! How do you know it's the port?

Tom

I'm not happy, exactly, to see that other people are having the same issue - but I am glad to see a teardown link. We've tried every micro-usb charger in the house on our Nexus 7 since yesterday and nada.
    Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by voxangelus View Post
    I'm not happy, exactly, to see that other people are having the same issue - but I am glad to see a teardown link. We've tried every micro-usb charger in the house on our Nexus 7 since yesterday and nada.
    I'm really confused because I tried a USB OTG and it works fine. I'm thinking that I might have to buy a dock now, just so I can charge via the Pogo pins :-(

I'm really confused because I tried a USB OTG and it works fine. I'm thinking that I might have to buy a dock now, just so I can charge via the Pogo pins :-(

It'd be great to get a dock - if any of the stores could keep them in stock. But I'm offended that I'd have to pay another $40 just to charge my device when it shouldn't be having this problem in the first place.
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Loose is right! By the time I sent mine in for RMA the torque needed to just get a blink connection was almost at a level to damage the device. However don't depend on ASUS repair to find it any time soon My first RMA they sent back in just over a week! I was super happy... til I opened and tried the unit which hadn't even been looked at! A call to ASUS confirmed there had been a "mix up" and they had done a revolving door on the unit. Didn't cost more than gas to re-ship as they gave me a fedex auth for the return return included taped to the unit my explanation that the unit had a loose micro USB connector , that was done on 1/31/13 ASUS signed for the unit on 02/04/13 and still has the unit 02/20/13, conversation with ASUS online chat support last night a Daniel there told me that thus far the tech has been unable to find a fault with the unit. which is what the status of the unit has been showing on the RMA checker since the 6th when they updated it's status online. Now if ASUS still has a tech working on this unit after all this time... take my advice and sell your ASUS Stock! Complete insanity that the Nexus 7 which costs ASUS $152 to produce and has already cost them one Fedex shipment, is according to ASUS still costing ASUS Tech time each day for over 2 weeks???? Unit was shipped to Texas which has a Minimum wage of $7.25.....
    Just to be safe however when I purchased the unit from J&R I also bought their 2 year support which I called before contacting ASUS, last night I called J&R Sales to find out if they could handle this situation and received a call from J&R Support that they would be in contact with ASUS and give me a call back today. I'm not expecting this to take much longer, as I mentioned to J&R that if the unit was that messed up I would be happy with a store credit against one of the $319 IPad Mini's *LOL*

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my Nexus 7. Over the last few weeks, the charging port has become loose/faulty. To get it to charge now, I have to apply a light bit of downwards pressure (when the face is up) to get it to charge. This is a pain because now when I charge, I have to put weight on the cable to connect it. Also, I think this is related, I'm having trouble connecting to my computer. Even when it shows it's charging, it won't connect as a USB device anymore and might come up with an error.

Does anyone else have these problems and do they have a fix?

BTW, I can feel a bit of play with my port but it doesn't look particularly bent or out of shape...

Sent from my Nexus 7 :-)
    Hi
    I have the same problem, and I know it's not the cable, I have tried a lot of cables and I have came to the conclusion that it's something in the mini USB port inside the tablet.
    I won't take the risk to open it and check the screws by myself, but I plan to take it to warranty to see if the fix it.
    Moreover, I bought 2 Nexus 7, one for me and one for my girlfriend, and they both were fine for the first month, and they started to develop the issue at the same time, so I guess it has to do with the material of the mini USB port itself... like it's not hard enough and after the first month of use, when you have probably used the device while it's plugged-in causing small movements to the cable which apply small forces to the walls of the port, making it to start distorting slowly over time and become loose... I cannot see any gross bends or distortion in it, and neither me nor my girlfriend have dropped the unit, but I feel it's loose, when right after the unboxing, it was not...

Had any of you find a way to repair this?

Thanks!
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.

I have also experienced the loose port issue. I suspect my kid also knocked it to the floor while it was charging. Tried two stock cables, and other cables, none of them worked. The only way to charge my device is by TIGHTLY back bending the cable underneath the unit, and even then, the charge would occasionally be lost. I would have to monitor it for several minutes without touching it. What a PITA Asus! An IT colleague checked the port and said it looked bent. So, using a screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit, I *very gently* and *incrementally* worked the port tab to be positioned in the center of the port. I was also very careful about not bending port case/sides as I did this, FYI. After each manipulation, I tried the cable. Once I got it centered again, it would still not charge. BUT! I jiggled the cable side to side a little and voila. Charging like a champ. I may need to do a little more tweaking as certain cables I have are still a little loose, but at least I have one now that has a relatively snug fit and is successfully charging. This was easy to do, I suggest it to anyone having this issue.
    Thanked by:

Mine stopped charging today--

I thought it was loose cord--was manipulating it in place to get the charger to connect and now it won't do it at all.

It is NOT the cord, because I have switched three cords out and my phone charges with the same cords.

I need to fix this before I get to zero--what can I do?

Thanks!
    Matt

Mine was the same way--a kind of tight back bend on the cable to get it to go but now it won't even do that. I am scared to work it too much.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast