Pulling hair out with N7 and constant wi-fi dropping

carnivalpaul

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
All - I have looked everywhere and have yet to find a resolution for the constant wifi dropping on my N7. Running stock, 4.2. Router connects without issue to all laptops, iphone, ipads, etc. My N7 connects no issue and stays connected for a while but then randomly drops (mostly while I am trying to surf the web) and then takes a minute or two to reconnect.

I read several ideas and I configured a static IP for this device and have set the strongest channel.

Sorry, but it makes my skin crawl as the whole purpose to have enjoy using it. Yet now its a question of "when will it drop"

This cannot be normal as (again) ALL of my other devices have no problem. I am out of my time to return and it is really turning me off to Android

Please tell me someone else has seen and resolved this? Any.all help is greatly appreciated! :mad:

Thanks in advance.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Had mine for a week and not having this issue and I use it constantly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things to try if you haven't already:

1. "Forget" your home wifi network on your Nexus 7, and then reconnect.

2. Reboot your router by unplugging it, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back in again.

Do you have this problem if you connect to public wifi at some place like Starbucks? If not, then it's probably something with your home router.

Blkacesvf41

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
What are the security settings on your router? I know on mine I had to go from WPA to WPA2. For some reason the N7 just won't play nice with WPA settings. Hope that helps.

bmalloy

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
have two N7 tablets and both had the issue. One seems to be better. The other one is completely unusable. I flashed it back to stock 4.1.2 and it was the same. It took 18 hours to restore the apps and such from the wireless just not working because it drops constantly. It is horrible and the tablet at this point is a doorstop.

prior to upgrading to 4.2 I had zero issues and loved the tablets despite little issues. Now, it is time to move onto something else at this point since it is completely unusable without the wireless working. I have tried forgetting network, tried just leaving it clean and manually installing the apps back after flashing a second time back to 4.1.2 - nothing. Absolutely nothing brings the wireless back for me at this point. It seems whatever 4.2 did it broke the wireless completely for me.

And Asus and google are no help whatsoever. I am so disgusted with their lack of support and help at this point I simply don't want the tablets any longer. I would rather move on to something else that when something goes wrong I won't get a runaround and am told I must have broke them - BOTH no less.

Good luck with yours. I hope they find a solution for you and the countless others seeing major wi-fi issues. I myself would wait for some patch to fix it but after being told it is my fault - I just don't care for that kind of "support".

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
have two N7 tablets and both had the issue. One seems to be better. The other one is completely unusable. I flashed it back to stock 4.1.2 and it was the same. It took 18 hours to restore the apps and such from the wireless just not working because it drops constantly. It is horrible and the tablet at this point is a doorstop.
Does this happen on every wireless network you've tried, or have you only tested them on a single network?

bmalloy

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Happens on any network on the one tablet. My second tablet seems to be fine suddenly. First couple days they both had the issue, wiping the cache on the second tablet seems to have fixed it. Still stops now and again, but is usable at least. But the first tablet is unable to do anything on wireless at this point. Did a factory reset again and didn't restore but it still has the same issue.

firenation001

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Had the exact same problem a week fews back and i was pulling my hair out because all my devices like my ps3 and ipod touch were working perfectly fine but my nexus 7 wifi connection kept dropping. Looked on this forum for help and a user recommended to use a Credit card and pop off your nexus 7 back cover and on the back there are three labels one is for wifi next to it there is 3 small pins jst pull them alittle up as they are used to connect to the wifi pannel as they are normally flat and they have a problem touching the pannel and getting a connection. I tryed it and literally in seconds i got full wifi connectivity and since then i have Had no problems whats so ever.

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Do you happen to have Juice Defender installed? There is a known bug that causes regular and frequent WiFi drops rendering both WiFi and Juice Defender useless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance