Nexus 7 3g issue

shammrock

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have just ordered the nexus 7 3g , i have my micro sim ready , but im not sure how it will work on the tablet..... never had a 3g tablet before. appologies if these are silly questions!

How does it work on the tablet if you want to use 3g when outdoors?
do you have to switch 3g on and turn wifi off or something?
and when using wifi , do you have to turn 3g off? is it called 3g on the tablet or is it called mobile roaming or something?
can you pick which connection you want to connect to (3g or wifi)?
need to be careful if i'm thinking i'm on the sofa using wifi when really iv'e been using 3g by mistake , that would be painful!

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have also never used a 3g enabled tablet and received and activated mine a few days ago. Similar to my phone, it seems to default to saved WiFi networks, so while I'm sitting at home, I'm on WiFi. Mobile (3g) data only kicks in when I'm away from my network. That seems to be the case thus far. Also, I never turn WiFi or the mobile data off. I keep them both on all the time, and it seems to adjust accordingly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

shammrock

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
thats great , thanks alot

what did you do to activate it , did you have to put the apn settings in or does it automatically do it itself?

also what battery life are you getting with wifi and 3g on?

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I followed the instruction card that came with the packaged At&t SIM. That worked reasonably well, although I did have to complete setup at my computer since I ran into an issue doing so in Dolphin browser on the tablet. It wasn't a problem, since they provided a web address in the instructions, and everything else about setup seemed to work as outlined in the instructions. You'll need the device's IMEI number (but you shouldn't have to change any settings for use with AT&T).

Currently at 43% battery life, with 25 hours of usage, GPS, WiFi, mobile data all on, push gmail, other email polling every 5 min, Facebook polling every hour. For most of that time, I've been on WiFi, but spent 8 hours or so yesterday fully on mobile data (which seemed surprisingly fast in my area). I'm probably looking at 1.5 to 2 days battery life for my particular usage pattern. I use it a lot, often instead of my phone or computer, buy wouldn't consider myself a " heavy user". Probably a moderate user (but not light).

admkrikt

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
mysterygirl, did you get the 3Gb plan for $30 a month from AT&T? How long did it take you to activate and was there an activation fee?

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
mysterygirl, did you get the 3Gb plan for $30 a month from AT&T? How long did it take you to activate and was there an activation fee?

I did. No activation fee. Process probably took 10 min and mobile data was available almost immediately.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
So to clarify it. Nexus 7 is not 4G aka LTE tablet. Only 3G ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Yes. The Nexus 7 with cellular does not have 4G LTE.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

4G != LTE ie, 4G is not LTE.

T-Mobile and ATT call HSPA+ as 4G or enhanced 3g

every carrier call it different. so according to their claims Nexus 7 has 4G but no 4G LTE.

GuilderlandNY

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus 7 3g operates at HSPA+ - not LTE, even though it ships with a AT&T LTE sim, if ordered for that network.

My N7 3g has been in the process of activating since 9 AM Sat and still is not activated yet. The N7 AT&T activation routes through AT&T Premier and that division is not open on weekends. So when my automated activation process hung, the 24/7 AT&T support group can see the activation as "pending", but can't do anything about it until Monday when the Premier division opens.

Just hope you don't have N7 activation problems on weekends with AT&T - My longest activation ever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz