Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Turn off 3G and still use wifi on Nexus 7 3G

Is there some way to turn off the 3G and still be able to use wifi? I would like the assurance that I'm not wasting any of my limited 3G data plan where there is wifi. Airplane mode kills both 3G and wifi so that doesn't do it. I could just remove and replace the SIM card, but that's painful to do all the time. Is there no switch in settings to toggle 3G?

Default Re: Turn off 3G and still use wifi on Nexus 7 3G

Easy. Go to Settings>More>Mobile Networks and uncheck "Data Enabled." This should turn off just your 3G radio.

Power Toggles is an excellent toggle bar widget that includes a 3G toggle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    liljew likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by AMTrombley0924 View Post
    Easy. Go to Settings>More>Mobile Networks and uncheck "Data Enabled." This should turn off just your 3G radio.
    Thanks. I knew it has to be something easy. My mistake was to call Google support and be told "no".I have found several widgets that purport to check/uncheck it as well.

I cant anything to work other than airplane mode. should be an easier solution.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by AMTrombley0924 View Post
    I've done that and also used some of the widgets that allegedly toggle it. The problem is that the Nexus 7 sometimes turns it back on for no apparent reason. Most ofter noticeable when coming out of sleep. The icon for the toggle is on.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jlo8720 View Post
    I cant anything to work other than airplane mode. should be an easier solution.
    I can't get airplane mode or unchecking data enabled to work consistently. It still keeps turning back on.

Quote Originally Posted by ocostich View Post
    I can't get airplane mode or unchecking data enabled to work consistently. It still keeps turning back on.
    ^this

Have had the same problem, tried the power toggle app but did not work. went with the right hand side drop down menu, toggle flight mode and switch wifi on as it automatically turns off in flight mode.

if you have wifi ON and if there is a wifi available, nexus 7 will always use wifi rather than data
    liljew likes this.

ROM
    MeanROM ICS; may change

Quote Originally Posted by ocostich View Post
    I think we might have a bug on our hands. I have a WiFi-only model and am still on 4.1.2 (my choice), but my mom just got a 3G model with which I've helping her. Yesterday she activated an AT&T SIM card/account. I showed her how to turn off mobile data, but then once our home WiFi went out , it still used a lot of data updating apps (darn these limited data plans!). We looked, and mobile data had turned back on again! To avoid that, we turned off the auto-updating in Google Play, but I'm afraid that other apps may consume more data in the background. We also turned on airplane mode. I only hope that worked, as she has a 250 MB data cap for the month.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yes I am having same issues. I have AT&T on my Nexus 7. Hard to turn life and on with above methods. Bug or design: who knows.