Swype keyboard is a bust.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or does the new swype keyboard just plain suck? I've been using swype on my cell phone for years and love it but on my nexus not so much. It seems I cannot add words I type into the dictionary on the fly, it doesnt show suggestions on certain pages, it will spell out different words then the ones I type out and it will not swype most of the time and only put in the first letter of a word. I have reinstalled swift key for the moment but would really like the swype to be fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Works pretty well for me. I agree that it would be nice to have the option to add a word to the dictionary on the fly. It's also a bit sensitive to releasing pressure on the touchscreen, which makes it think you only wanted to type the first letter sometimes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I only like the floating text, it makes my flow seem fun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Mine doesn't float even though I have that option on.

Never mind I see what you mean now. I thought you meant only the letter you're over will float but a whole bunch of letters float. Although I don't see what they say because I concentrate on my typing and then it just disappears

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Word prediction is worse than Swype Beta but Swype beta has its own share of issues (like spewing words out when you try to type one character at a time or typing bunch of 'Z's when you try to cap lock).
I mean, when you use Swype Beta, you can swipe all over the place and it still manages to get the words right (even if you screw up spelling). Google keyboard has to see you swipe it nearly perfect.
The worst though is the lack of "press to get to numbers" feature. This is plain stupid not to have it.

Anyway, I hope and I know that Google will improve it. Google is one of the best at predictions, etc.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I mean, when you use Swype Beta, you can swipe all over the place and it still manages to get the words right (even if you screw up spelling). Google keyboard has to see you swipe it nearly perfect.
The worst though is the lack of "press to get to numbers" feature. This is plain stupid not to have it.

Anyway, I hope and I know that Google will improve it. Google is one of the best at predictions, etc.

Yeah swype beta is weird but awesome in the sense that sometimes I will swype without looking at the keyboard just hoping that I get the letters right and somehow it still manages to spell out whole sentences correctly even though my finger never touched certain letters.

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I love the new swype keyboard, I can type faster than I can write now, that might be because I can touch type anyway so maybe I'm more accurate because I know exactly where all the letters are so don't really have to think about it and it's so much faster not having to keep taking my finger off the screen between each letter. It gets 5* from me.

xQuencher

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any problems with it so far, I'm using it to type this message. Sure, it gets words wrong on occasion, but just delete it and type it again.

spiritofradio71

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Frustrated. Been using my new S3 for two weeks now, my old i9000 was wayyy better in regards to the swype kb. Funny, I tell my kids not to use the terms "dumb" or "stupid" referring to inatimate objects, but thats exactly the terms that come to mind for me for this program. When it can't figure out the word "job", e.g., THAT is stupid. I want my old swype back!!!!

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, the default keyboard has a gesture control function (swipe) which I have found to be terrible and requires adding simple words like "that" into the dictionary manually. I get the feeling that some of you may be referring to that and calling it "swype."

I finally broke down and loaded Swype Beta onto my N7. Much better.