Nexus 7 - HELP - won't startup, static screen/sound shown and auto-shutdown loop

Marlon_s

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 7 for a couple of months now, with no problems.
Yesterday, I got a battery warning message of less than 1% power left, so went to plug in to charge.
It's been charging overnight.
However, it's in an automatic startup / shutdown cycle it appears....it trys to startup, presents a screen full of static (with a static/hiss sound), then auto-shutsdown again. And it seems like it's doing this 'cycle' of startup/ static / shutdown every few minutes.
I saw some article about Wifi, and turned off my WIfi router (since I can't get into the Nexus 7 settings to turn off the wifi setting, since it goes to static / shutdown too fast for me to do anything).
I can't seem to figure out what happened and why it just started failing.
Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this happen in the past when I hadn't really charged the device. Did you use the Nexus charger? I've seen some phone chargers that don't charge properly.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Damien Pruitt

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey there, I just ran into the same problem with mine tonight. Have you figured out a solution to it yet? I only had mine for about 3 weeks now. Its in this infinite start up/shut down loop and I cant figure out how to fix it. I took off the wifi since I only had a few seconds to do it before it shut off and its doing the same thing. Let me know what you find out and it being Saturday, probably can't call Google support until Monday. I also got all the way to the factory reset screen before it shut off on me and I couldnt complete the process. Sucks because I was really liking this thing! Let me know what you found out! I appreciate it!

DP

Marlon_s

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Solution. Issue related to low battery, and wifi.
Connect to pc
Shut down nexus 7
Hold volume down and power
At the next screen, press up until it says recovery mode
Press power
You then get the Android with red exclamation
Press power, hold it and then press volume up
This should give the recovery menu.
Then once in recovery mode, plug in and fully charge (overnight).
Then shutdown.
Then restart.
All okay! ;-)

At least this worked for me....phew! Thought I had a 'dud' there for a sec'!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue and called Google customer support and they sent a replacement at no cost.

You're lucky. Mine did that and I called Google - they said call Asus and wait for them to fix it. I'm glad it was only $200. This on top of the pre-order fiasco makes me not have much confidence in how they will back their product.

SammySDS

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Bizare.. it just happened to me too.. What the hell is this..
I really can't get it passed the recovery menu and only if it remains plugged in.

scottieGGGG

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Mine is doing the same reboot cycle as others here.. but I wonder if it's the charger. I know I've been using "other chargers" from phones and such to charge my Nexus 7 over the last week... just because it was more convenient. One at work.. a few different spots in the house (office desk.... bedroom).. leveraging the numerous chargers from old / current phones.

Yet, I hear now that I should just use the charger that came with the Nexus 7. I might start to do this and see my results. I'm sure the manual states to "always use the provided charger"... but sounds like something I would ignoring thinking it was just a guideline. :)

Conradia

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Same loop for me today, power at zero, and won't power up properly, always restarts once aty home page,including strange "static noise screen" each time it shutdown. Thanks for the method to get out of this. I did this slightly differently, as for some reason I was convinced there could be no need to connect to pc! But it led to maybe a different solution.

So for me, with tablet still connected to original asus power supply, I tried to shut down the tablet before it automatically shut down (not sure if I managed it or not as it only ever stayed on home screen for a couple of seconds before shutting itself down each time). With tablet seemingly off, I then tried holding down power and volume down button for 10 seconds or so....nothing. Tried holding them woth down again for another 10 seconds....nothing. So then disconected it from the power supply andd plugged the usb cable into my pc. It immediately came up with the large "battery charging" icon. I left it for 2 hours like this, then unplugged it and it started up as normal, with 30% power...hurrah! But interesting that it only worked when plugged into pc, but also good you may not need to go into the recovery state etc...

Thanks for the help here though, it definitely got me there.

---update: same problem over on this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-forum/228885-strange-boot-loop.html . Solution similar to mine, but he managed quickly going into airplane mode on startup.

Last edited:

Steven Xu

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 7 just went to blank because of the flat battery. I then charged it for a couple of hours, and checked with quick start manual to try to start the Nexus pressing power button for more than 10 second. It then starts with Google logo but stuck at displaying the static cross screen.

Had a quick search on the web and realized this happened to many Nexus 7 users. To me, this is more like a firmware bug or design issue that Google and Asus should sort out. This low battery issue has never happened to me on my Ipad2.

jcoppola33

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with google play support, they told me it was a measure to protect the battery from being ruined at 0% it was a very easy fix actually only took about 5 min on the phone and then they emailed me instructions for if it happens again.

Thank you for contacting Google Play.

As we discussed your Nexus was not powering on. Your device went into a sleep mode to help protect your battery. Here are the steps that we did to get your device to power back on:

Updated workaround instructions for Nexus 7 not charging

If customer has let Nexus 7 battery run all the way down and it will no longer charge, have customer try the following:

1. Plug Nexus 7 to a wall charger.
2. Immediately press Volume Down and Power at the same time to reach the bootloader
3. From bootloader menu, press Volume Down until you see ?Power Off Device.?
4. Press the Power button to select the 'Power off device' option
5. Once your device is off, unplug the charger and then plug it back into the device.

The device should now begin charging.

rustd408

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for posting this. I cannot seem to find the Google customer service number. Can you give it to me, or redirect me.
Thanks

rustd408

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried to "call" customer service and they redirected me to a web site that doesn't allow me to type in the problem.
I am so frustrated.
D

Aresby

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A slight variation on the remedies proposed to date here - a sequencing change.

If I plugged in my Nexus into a charger and THEN tried the power-on/volume down sequence I would just get static on the screen. Occasionally the word Google would appear then nothing (or static again).

The fix was to hold down Volume Down, Power and THEN plug it into the USB charger socket (yes you need nimble fingers, large hands or a friend to help!).

It then showed the Boot menu but I couldn't get it to change beyond the START button (ie volume up/down didn't change the options at all). So I pressed the On/Off button as this was being indicated to Start the device. The screen went dark, the word Google appeared (for FAR longer than ever before) and voila! it then continued to boot.

The REALLY odd thing is that when it booted up the battery was at 44% - although I guess it had died overnight and was recharged today at work when I had it plugged in all morning having discovered it was not booting.

So, it absolutely MUST be a software / firmware bug for me to get the static screen even though the battery was at 44%, right?

My iPhone has never had an issue like this. That goes flat, you stick it on charge and it's back within seconds. And I'm wanting to upgrade to an Android phone when my contract runs out in a month...Mmm, maybe not, after all.

Edit: I couldn't use my original charger as it was still at work; I used a Kindle charger instead. As I said though, I don't believe it's the charging/battery charge that's the problem per se, it seems the Nexus 7 gets caught in a software glitch once it "dies" due to the battery running out whilst in standby.

Last edited:

Aresby

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A further "incident" with my Nexus 7 (exactly the same as before when I couldn't switch it on). Sigh.

Anyway, for the battery to go that flat, so quickly I figured it was a rogue app so I've deleted a couple that I recently installed and all is well.

However, to recover from the non-functioning static screen no-boot, no nothing I had to pop of the rear cover (easier than I thought it would be, just to do it very carefully, don't rush, and work your way around the case so you don't start levering the case off from one end).

I then disconnected the battery (so the Nexus would actually die properly) and then after a few seconds reconnected. At this point I'm sort of sure that the cable connector went on further than it was on before I removed it - so maybe a loose connector was to blame after all? I can't honestly say and maybe it's wishful thinking.

After reconnecting the battery (and before I put the rear case back on) I switched it on and it was like it was the day I bought it (no, there was no factory reset, I mean it just switched on with the glowing X etc). So I carefully popped the case back on making sure it was all clipped in all the way round and it's been fine ever since I removed a couple of those newly-installed apps.

I've just ordered the Nexus 4 phone - let's hope that doesn't have similar problems!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
A number of people have reported the loose battery connector. Apparently the battery is slightly smaller than the battery compartment so it can move and pull the cable loose. Some well placed foam or double stick tape can prevent the battery from moving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2