Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Caldera
  • 1 Post By rootbrain
  • 1 Post By jerrykur
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there a glass problem ?

I read that the glass is coming many Nexus 7
    Is that true,has anyone experienced it ?

Default Re: Is there a glass problem ?

No, in fact, it's using Gorilla Corning Glass. The only problem would happen to be the user.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by Eduardo06sp; 11-25-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo06sp View Post
    No, in fact, it's using Gorilla Corning Glass. The only problem would happen to be the user.

I thought the nexus 7 used a different, not gorilla, Corning glass. It seems to break pretty easily

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
    I thought the nexus 7 used a different, not gorilla, Corning glass. It seems to break pretty easily

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    How did you break it?

ROM
    Stock, Paranoid, CM10

The N7 does indeed use the cheaper "Corning Fit Glass". It doesn't compare well at all to true Gorilla Glass. I haven't had any screen problems with my N7, but I know several people who have (screen lift, scratches, cracks appearing for no obvious reason, flickering, etc). I recommend a case and screen protector.
    Eduardo06sp likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Seems like there are big problems with the glass

LOL! whatever you say!
    Samsung Note 2

ROM
    Stock, Paranoid, CM10

There are a lot of happy Nexus 7 owners (I'm one of them), so don't let me discourage you from buying (assuming that's why you asked). But yes, the glass isn't as durable as it could have been. Despite that, I still recommend the N7 to people frequently. Practically everyone in my office owns one.

Quote Originally Posted by desgnr View Post
    I read that the glass is coming many Nexus 7
    Is that true,has anyone experienced it ?
    Whatever you do don't use as a cutting board to mince onions, not safe for the knife blade.

Sent from planet earth
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

So you still recommend buy N7 even with the glass problem ?

I'd recommend to anyone interested in a Nexus experience. My first tablet was ordered at release and had screen lift. I didn't find this bothersome the way many do, and in the four months I used that tablet, I had no problems with it. I did use a screen protector to protect against scratches. That said, if scratches worry you, you should use a screen protector anyway, even with Gorilla glass. There are a ton of stories on these forums of people believing their Gorilla glass displays are indestructible only to discover that tiny issues can cause damage.

I recently upgraded to the 3g version and have found the build quality to have improved. No screen lift. I've decided to take my chances without a screen protector (but I understand and accept the risk and don't assume the glass will never get a scratch), but with a thin case.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Wonder when these glass issues were happening.
    Also wonder if the store stock now has the issue resolved ?

Everything looks fine in my new Nexus 7 bought 2 days back.
    Build quality is awesome for the price but my finger's crossed about this glass issue..
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I know what you mean.
    Thats the only thing holding me back from buying it.
    Good Luck to you,hope it holds up.

There is no "glas problem", not more than on any other similar device anyway. Just go out and buy it, if it breaks there's warranty.

I'd totally recommend it, especially because of the price. It doesn't have glass problems just so you know.

Seems like there are big problems with the glass
    Yeah, mine's empty~!!!

Bartender!
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Because the problems are common with a lot of tablets, and at two hundred clams for a top-notch tablet it's still the best bang for your buck out there. I've got one of the early ones with the glass lift and i paid 250 for the 16gb and i still think this is one of the best bargains in electronics I've ever gotten.

Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X

FWIW, here is the link to the test Cnet did with the Nexus 7, . They did the same test with other tablets and phones and they did not have the same amount of damage. I put mine in a case and recommend others do the same.

From what I have read, having the screen replaced is about $180. Part of this is because the screen and digitizer are glued together so they comprise one FRU. Also, Google/Asus does not cover accidental damage like breaking the screen. I don't know if they have an AppleCare like program where you can by screen replacement coverage. But AppleCare is $99 which would be hard to spend on $200 tablet that will be updated in a year or so.

The bottom line is get a case and be careful with your devices.

Jerry
    Caldera likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Michap:
    How can you say there is no glass problem ?
    Do you know for a fact ?

What glass problem?

Sent from planet earth with my problem FREE Nexus 7

I've had TWO!!! nexus 7's with broken front glass...it's total crap, i'm very pissed about it. Also to replace...cost is exactly the same as buying a brand new one... Other than that no complaints...lol...i loved the price, etc..., but once the screen is cracked there is no using it. BTW i had the second one in a protective case when it broke.... There were in a back pack that I wear to and from work! Whats the point of a tablet that you can't take around with you??? If you buy one, just keep it at home and never, ever, ever take it anywhere...or you'll be rolling the dice... I'm sorry to say...i'm a die-hard google user, have owned the nexus 2,3 and 4. My girlfriend broke the screen on my 2, but my 3 and 4 are still working...3 has some wierd issues around charging...but now i'm hijacking an important thread....

Any cheap android (or otherwise) tablets with gorilla glass???

Quote Originally Posted by Fenton Travers View Post
    I've had TWO!!! nexus 7's with broken front glass...it's total crap, i'm very pissed about it. Also to replace...cost is exactly the same as buying a brand new one... Other than that no complaints...lol...i loved the price, etc..., but once the screen is cracked there is no using it. BTW i had the second one in a protective case when it broke.... There were in a back pack that I wear to and from work! Whats the point of a tablet that you can't take around with you??? If you buy one, just keep it at home and never, ever, ever take it anywhere...or you'll be rolling the dice... I'm sorry to say...i'm a die-hard google user, have owned the nexus 2,3 and 4. My girlfriend broke the screen on my 2, but my 3 and 4 are still working...3 has some wierd issues around charging...but now i'm hijacking an important thread....

I've been bringing mine to work with me everyday since February along with my Nexus 4 phone. Never even came close to worrying about the glass breaking on either one.

The Nexus 7 has a Poetic case and the 4 has no case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenton Travers View Post

Sounds like your case failed to protect the screen. Maybe you dropped the backpack with a book on top of the tablet. My daughter has managed to cracked the screen on all of the apple devices she carried in her purse including various iPods, iPhone 3/4/5, iPad 3/4, iPad mini. My wife and I carry our tablets (iPads, Nexus 7 and 10) and never have an issue. Just remember. Any flexing is going to break the screen glass or the digitizer. Also, don't drop or overload with books your backpack if you have a device in there. Treat the table like a pB&J sandwich in a baggie.