Is there a glass problem ?

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
No, in fact, it's using Gorilla Corning Glass. The only problem would happen to be the user.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
No, in fact, it's using Gorilla Corning Glass. The only problem would happen to be the user.

I thought the nexus 7 used a different, not gorilla, Corning glass. It seems to break pretty easily

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
The N7 does indeed use the cheaper "Corning Fit Glass". It doesn't compare well at all to true Gorilla Glass. I haven't had any screen problems with my N7, but I know several people who have (screen lift, scratches, cracks appearing for no obvious reason, flickering, etc). I recommend a case and screen protector.

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of happy Nexus 7 owners (I'm one of them), so don't let me discourage you from buying (assuming that's why you asked). But yes, the glass isn't as durable as it could have been. Despite that, I still recommend the N7 to people frequently. Practically everyone in my office owns one.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd recommend to anyone interested in a Nexus experience. My first tablet was ordered at release and had screen lift. I didn't find this bothersome the way many do, and in the four months I used that tablet, I had no problems with it. I did use a screen protector to protect against scratches. That said, if scratches worry you, you should use a screen protector anyway, even with Gorilla glass. There are a ton of stories on these forums of people believing their Gorilla glass displays are indestructible only to discover that tiny issues can cause damage.

I recently upgraded to the 3g version and have found the build quality to have improved. No screen lift. I've decided to take my chances without a screen protector (but I understand and accept the risk and don't assume the glass will never get a scratch), but with a thin case.

vulpine101

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Everything looks fine in my new Nexus 7 bought 2 days back.
Build quality is awesome for the price but my finger's crossed about this glass issue..

michap

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
There is no "glas problem", not more than on any other similar device anyway. Just go out and buy it, if it breaks there's warranty.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So you still recommend buy N7 even with the glass problem ?

Because the problems are common with a lot of tablets, and at two hundred clams for a top-notch tablet it's still the best bang for your buck out there. I've got one of the early ones with the glass lift and i paid 250 for the 16gb and i still think this is one of the best bargains in electronics I've ever gotten.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, here is the link to the test Cnet did with the Nexus 7, Episode 13: the Nexus 7 tablet is a delicate flower | Always On - CNET . They did the same test with other tablets and phones and they did not have the same amount of damage. I put mine in a case and recommend others do the same.

From what I have read, having the screen replaced is about $180. Part of this is because the screen and digitizer are glued together so they comprise one FRU. Also, Google/Asus does not cover accidental damage like breaking the screen. I don't know if they have an AppleCare like program where you can by screen replacement coverage. But AppleCare is $99 which would be hard to spend on $200 tablet that will be updated in a year or so.

The bottom line is get a case and be careful with your devices.

Jerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair