Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

ROM
    Viper(HTC)One

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the scre

This happened to me when I originally got the nexus 7, I was playing dead trigger,and the nexus died completely,and the pixels flew across the screen(as described) however I simply let it charge overnight and turned it back on in the morning and all was fine....don't force it just let it charge..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Documentary's and Educational Videos you think everyone should see.
    (Last Updated June,2,2013)
    Thread Retired
    Current Android Devices:HTC one,2013 Nexus 7
    Past Android Devices:Xperia Play,Droid Pro,2012 Nexus 7

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the scre

Obviously, this is a common problem. I suspect there are countless others who have the same issue but, haven't made it here just yet to express. My Nexus 7 did the exact same thing. I had about 20% battery and I was still using it. It died on me even tho' it was plugged into the charger at the time. This was Sunday night 1/6/13 about 9 pmish. It's now 4:30 pm Monday afternoon and still no power. It did the turn on with 0% power & immediately turn off, the pixel thing too but now zilch. Maximum frustration is slowy setting in. Wish I had a rememdy for everyone but if anyone has any success with their nexus please share

jasanders, when it chimes and gets to the lock screen grab that battery drop down and get into the battery properties fast. I swear that is what saved me. It shutdown but while in the battery menu and then the big white battery appeared on the screen and it just charged like normal. Thing is it may need to be plugged in for a bit to give you enough time to get to that chime, lock screen, etc.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH. Thank you all so much i've only had my nexus since my birthday last October, and this past week it's been taking 48 freaking hours to charge 50%. AND it would drain that in an hour of use! Absolute crud. AND it kept doing that annoying 'turn on then off twenty times thingy ma bobby'. But needless to say i am clueless about technology. So hopefully your advice all works or else i may very well end up thrashing my device against the wall. Cheers!
    Kaiya x

I have had my 32gb for a week. It was charged up overnight, and wasn't keen on turning on this morning, took longer than usual. Showed some photos I transferred on it yesterday using bluetooth. Turned off. Turned on at lunchtime, read a few chapters of my book, turned off after 1hr. Plenty of battery left. Tried to turn on 6pm, nothing. Black screen, tried charging, got grey screen then whitish lines crossing the screen. PC World, say bring it in for exchange. I will mention this page to pc world. I tried the suggestions above, but nothing I'm afraid.

Update, PC World Know How say they have had 3 back from their store. Mine was examined, and he states its ESD. As I have not had any static shocks lately, honestly, don't know where it came from then. He reckons it could have been the charger pins. When I get my replacement, might leave the charger on a rubber mat. LOL.

Thank you so much!!! My Nexus is working again

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

had the static problem today & after finally getting it to boot it never got passed the nexus logo. Does anyone know how to fix this? I am stock never rooted and this is the first time it has happened

I bought my nexus 7 when it first came out from play store. Who would I contact for repair/replacement?

Success!

I was having the same issue of flying pixels, battery not holding a charge even after charging it over night - battery being reported as 0%.

Turns out after a small drop the battery connector came loose.

I just followed the guide on iFixIt and it's really easy.

Thanked by 2:

Default Re: Nexus 7problem;Won't charge,and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the screen.

Question.....Im still learning this droid OS so please excuse me___ but to my understanding with some of these miracle suggestions posted here this hard reset will erase all apps and put the tablet back to factory settings. Is this correct? ?

Sent from my Fresh White Ssaammssuunngg Galaxxy Note II

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem;

The method that is working for everyone just turns the tablet off, so it will finally charge instead of cycle boot. It doesn't reset it to factory settings.

sent from my crappy thunderbolt...

I found a fix, my brand new nexus 7 came yesterday but would not charge and would not turn on (when I did I got a pixelated screen).

It turned out the cabl connecting to the motherboard from the battery was a bit loose so all I did was push it into the socket a bit towards the power on button (requires to take back off but nothing else) hope this helps!!!
    Thanked by 2:

Wanted to second this. Brand new Nexus had issues, wouldn't charge, issues with the screen turning on and weird pixel patterns flickering. Turned out they didn't fully plug in the battery to the connector on the circuit board. Just pop off the back, and reconnect the battery and you're good to go.
    Thanked by 2:
    jbvv7 likes this.

Is there an Android patch for this problem?

Thanks a lot. It fixed my Nexus 7 problem.

I can confirm the same problem (static screen) and fix.

I'd had my N7 for a week, never dropped etc. I'd left it all day without using it although the battery was at about 47% and when I came to turn it on I'd get nothing but static on the screen. Trying the various push buttons for 30 seconds approached made no difference, the device would power cycle but only to a static screen - i.e. there was no ability to select any menu options.

At first I though the screen was damaged but if I removed and replaced the USB charger, I'd get the Google logo for a fraction of a second before it reverted to static again.

Eventually, prior to returning it, I opened the back to check the battery connection (using the method from ). Sure enough the battery connector was loose. Pushing it fully home has resolved the problem entirely.
    Thanked by 3:
    jbvv7 likes this.

Thumbs up Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the scre

I just wanted to second that I had the same problem and none of the "boot into bootloader and power it off" solutions fixed it. So I took the back off (simple really with a credit card) and found that the battery connector was not connected. I think what happens is that the tablet gets bumped, the battery slides to the right (the side with the power button) and the cable gets yanked off of its connectors. I was able to make this happen by tapping it against my hand with the cover off. I was also, due to the stiffness of the battery cables, able to reseat it by tapping it in the other direction. Something to consider trying. Failing that, pop the back off and reseat the cables, then cut a little foam or something to put into the extra space in the battery compartment that allows it to slide around.
    Thanked by:

UPDATE: I was originally talking about my wife's tablet, which we purchased from Staples just before christmas. I wanted to be proactive so I pulled the back off of my brand new one and found that the battery in it was firmly in place, apparently with some double-sided tape. So it would seem that Asus figured this out and implemented a fix. Just FYI.

I had the same issue and pushing down the power + volume down combo did not work. I decided to take the back cover off and immediately saw that one of the connectors was loose. The cover is a little hard to take off but I think it's worth having a look for people still having issues with this. My Nexus 7 device is now working like new.
    Dylan Gibson likes this.

Had same issue for 2 days had it on charge with nothing but white pixel flash, tried the on/off and volume- button press and nothing, read further about taking the back of and checking the battery connection........lo & behold connector not properly pushed home, I'm not techno minded and was glad of the advice given, thank you scobadood
    Thanked by:

I know people have probably posted a solution now, but plug it in and put it into recovery (hold power + vol down I think) then let it charge for a bit. It's happened twice to my 4.2.1 stock N7 and I've just left it overnight to be greeted with a full battery in the morning

I find it is usfull to tap it firmly with your palm and that should do it.

scoobadood
    jbvv7

your solution fixed it for me
    flip the back off push home the battery cables
    boot
    100% battery
    Thanked by:
    liljew and ratovan like this.

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo06sp View Post
    What I did to solve this was un/plug my charger multiple times, then I held all the side buttons at the same time.
    I had lost all hope until I tried this and it worked!

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem

Just wanted to report that my Nexus 7 developed the exact same symptoms (dead, wouldn't power on, screen backlit but dark when plugged into charger, pixels flying across the screen when power held, hard and soft reset methods didn't work) after just two days. Granted, it was two days in the hands of an 11-year-old.

Popping off the back and re-seating the battery connector worked like a charm. This is really a crappy design. The battery is smaller than the battery compartment, and it slides around. Double-sided stick tape was clearly added as an afterthought and doesn't work. I rolled up a long thin piece of paper and wedged it in alongside the battery. We'll see how that works in the long term.

I have a feeling every problem reported here is a battery connector problem, and that all reports of button pressing, multiple plug-unplug cycles, etc., just shook the connector back on again. I've seen some other threads that put the blame on magnets in the Nexus cover. I'd encourage everyone to pop that baby open, re-seat the connector, and wedge something safe against the battery. All it takes are really small bumps or tilting to make it unseat and then work again. It's still good to know there is a hard-reset process for other problems, so thanks for that advice.

I want to thank everybody here for their help, even for the suggestions that didn't work for me. Time to go click on a few thumbs-up.

--Qfg
    Last edited by Q-fugee; 02-21-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Thanked by:
    ratovan likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast