Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the screen.

paulgosford

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
My nexus 7 wouldnt charge...said it was charging.....but charge wouldnt increase....screen still ok ...2% charge

the following worked for me

1/. Found I was wasnt using the original charging cable (USB) that came with it...changed to original and it started charging

2/. Used my HTC Phone charger...check voltage AND polarity...little symbol on charger ..must be same......worked...started charging

Hope this helps someone...

Paulgosford

Julien Vandal

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
This is what you should do if you are experiencing this problem. I believe others have already posted this as well.

1. Plug your Nexus into a charger. IMMEDIATELY after you plug it in, hold down the "volume down" button and the power button at the same time. If this doens't work, release them and press and hold again. Try unplugging and replugging, or with different chargers, so you can get the timing correct.
2. You will reach a screen that has a little android guy on it. Press the volume down button to select "power off", and use the power button to select this option. Your device will power down.
3. Unplug your device. When you plug it back in, a charging icon should appear.

If this does not happen, then you might have a loose battery cable. Watch this video on how to remove the back cover (it is pretty simple, and will not do significant damage your device)

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Repair Directions | DirectFix - YouTube

Once inside the device, Unplug and replug your battery connection. Make sure it is very secure and feels solid.

If this does not make your device turn on correctly, send it back to Asus. If you purchased the device within the past 12 months, your warranty will cover it.

knicks23

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys so something similar happened to me. My device today wouldnt turn on so i figured it was out of charge. I charged it for a few hours and as it was plugged in I pressed the power button to see the progress of the charge, however the batter icon didnt show up. Instead I got this dim lit dark screen with a static pixels on the screen, some white pixels some rainbow colored. When I disconnect the charger the pixels go away and the screen goes completely dark as if the device is off. Other than that the device wont turn on, and a hard reset hasnt worked. I tried everything. No logos, nothing shows up on the screen. I called asus and they said that it might be the video card and it's probably shot. They offered me a $199 tech support plan to fix it and that this sort of thing is probably not a manufacturer issue and isnt coverend under warranty, my device is in minttttt condition and only 6 months old. Any ideas what the deal is? I'll include a pic of the screen so you can see the pixels, they look like scratches in the pics but they are the static pixels.

Azekual009

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Just encountered this problem. Haven't taken off the back but I did use the boot loader and it is charging now. Thank you so much

EDIT: BTW Asus' Tech support is Bull****. They wanted me to pay $350 for a services plan to get this exact same information. assholes.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I actually had an issue where my battery was at 0 percent and charging, but it wouldn't go any higher. Rebooted a few times and it fixed eventually

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Azekual009

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Regarding my last post: My Nexus has fully charged, I have no more flying pixels, but I cannot get past the Nexus logo. It will do the logo animation for hours and will only stop when I use the bootloader to shut it off. Help?

ivoencarnacao

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Another one with this issue...
Tried the bootloader sequence and even opened my Nexus to check the battery plug, still cant continue from the Google logo
It keeps blinking on and off
Although my battery indicator says its charged.

Any clues, on whats happening?

Thanks!
Ivo.

Umut Tan

May 21, 2013
Visit site
That totally worked for me! Thanks man.

This is what you should do if you are experiencing this problem. I believe others have already posted this as well.

1. Plug your Nexus into a charger. IMMEDIATELY after you plug it in, hold down the "volume down" button and the power button at the same time. If this doens't work, release them and press and hold again. Try unplugging and replugging, or with different chargers, so you can get the timing correct.
2. You will reach a screen that has a little android guy on it. Press the volume down button to select "power off", and use the power button to select this option. Your device will power down.
3. Unplug your device. When you plug it back in, a charging icon should appear.

If this does not happen, then you might have a loose battery cable. Watch this video on how to remove the back cover (it is pretty simple, and will not do significant damage your device)

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Repair Directions | DirectFix - YouTube

Once inside the device, Unplug and replug your battery connection. Make sure it is very secure and feels solid.

If this does not make your device turn on correctly, send it back to Asus. If you purchased the device within the past 12 months, your warranty will cover it.

deedz591

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Am trying the "holding the side bottons" it doesn't work, screen keeps going in and off and the pixel lines, :'( what should I do??? Help me

chavigalvez

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, it was working fine!!! I went out of town, and I didn't use it for 2 weeks,
when I got back and went to recharge it, it would not charge, I get a message saying that it is
0% I got pixels all over the screen, and it turns off. DID ANYBODY FIND A SOLUTION?
Don't tell me this thing died on me because I didn't use it for 2 weeks!!! Help me please!
where can I send it?

Doug Honea

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Brand new Asus Nexus 7. Wouldn't power on out of the box. Black screen with flying pixels. Add me to the loose battery connector club. Thanks to all who posted here!

Paul McLaren

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Rather extreme!

Had my Nexus 7 for 6 months. First 4 months great and then the problems started. Was having so many problems - all of the above mentioned and more - that was on verge of sending it back.

Was walking down the street with the tablet in my backpack. It was so tightly packed that the zips unzipped and to my horror the tablet flew out and landed hard on the pavement even flying out of it's hard cover. I thought it was game over.

Tried to turn it on expecting the worst. To my total amazement it has somehow reset itself and it works exactly as it did when i first got it - no more freezing, inability to turn on, battery symbol saying on empty when it is fully charged, turning itself off etc etc.

I'm not for one minute suggesting you should throw your tablet across the street! Like i said - extreme but it works and that's all that matters!

Mikki Johnson

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much! My Son let his nexus 7 die completely and it wouldn't charge. I tried the solution Power + Volume down and it didn't work. I found this post and tried the Power + Vol Up +Vol Dwn and it work perfectly! I'm in the IT industry so my children think I can fix everything computer related... You helped me keep my reputation! :) Thank you for saving my "rep" and me the money of buying my son a New Tablet for his birthday! :D

CoastieRon

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Signed up because of this same issue. Everything sounds the same (trouble shooting, back story etc)

1. N7 discharged to 0%
2. Was charging with wrong charger, so I switched to original
3. Charged 3 days, still no joy
4. Googled fixes
5. Took back cover off, unplugged and replugged battery
6. Shut down using the root menu (power+volume down, scroll to Power Off)
7. Charged over night. Turned it on and the battery was up to 44%, but would not charge any further. In fact, it discharges while powered on and plugged in. Let it sit in the office last night, over night, powered down from root menu, and now it reads 33%.

I'm pretty frustrated at this point...... None of these fixes seem to be working for me....

Edited to add: Just took unit apart again, unplugged cable, replugged and plugged the charger back in. I'm going to power it up in root menu and leave it like that over night and see what happens.

Michael Drake

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have discovered the infamous black static screen issue. You must open up the back cover of the nexus and make sure the battery connection is not loose. My nexus was 3 days old when it acted up so I opened it up and found the battery connection was never snapped in place. I hope this helps out.

does this void the warranty? Because you see I'm trying to fix my brothers for him. but I don't want to risk him not being able to use the warranty.

Gerardo Portillo

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Muchiiiiiisssimas GRACIAS. Thank you so very much Edson, you just saved my life. I was about to throw up just to think that I was going to have to buy another tablet. The tablet is only 1 month old! It's working ok now. I'm so glad I ran into your advice. I did exactly as you indicate. I couldn't find one satisfactory answer in spanish. Thank God I know some Engish, I feel like going and kiss my English teacher... I know... maybe I'm overreacting, I suscribed and logged in just to thank you. Maybe I should translate your instructions and post them in a spanish lenguage forum. If it is ok with you.

melmelby

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much! I was (hopefully) able to get into my son's Nexus 7 using these instructions, having never laid a finger on it ever before.

inkboy1

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Why write an OS that runs the battery-charging system? Why IS there a battery-charging system? My Nexus 7, which I bought less than three weeks ago, won't take a charge - won't even show an icon that it's charging. It will not respond in any way to an input of electricity to the battery. After charging all night, I turned it on to find it had 13 percent power, and wouldn't accept a charge. I got online to see what I could do. There are 20-30 different theories about fixing it, some from Google support. I've hit down-volume/power, then chose power off. I've reset it - emptied it of all my apps and data. I've hit volume up/volume down/power. I can't remember all the stupid combinations I've tried, and this thing won't take a charge. I've lost the receipt, so I'm out some $244, plus tax. I'm retired, on a fixed income. That money comes hard for me. Why couldn't this become apparent before the 15-day return limit at the retailer? When first I encountered Android, I thought, 'Wow! This is some tight, can't-bust-em code. This thing doesn't seem to crash, no matter what.' Now this. Now, I have a useless item that cost me a lot of money. I'm pretty pissed right now. Why doesn't some central information outlet acknowledge this widespread problem, explain how to fix it, or fix the software so this stops happening?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterpig