Nexus 7 dead

seldomo19

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought my nexus 7 on 9/24, was doing fine until last night. Scribbly screen, now completely dead. Wont respond to pressing the volume + power button.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Some things to try:

1. Did the battery die? Do you remember it being really low last night? If so, plug the charger in and let it sit overnight, then press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds to see if it will turn on. If at all possible, use the charger and cable that came with the N7, not a 3rd party one.

2. To reboot, you should only have to hold the power button down. Again do it for at least 30 seconds to see if it works.

3. There have been some bugs noted with the light sensor while on automatic brightness, where sometimes the screen looks like it's dead, but in fact it's on at a very low level. Shining a flashlight on the light sensor (right next to the front facing camera) might work, since bright light should make the automatic brightness go way up to compensate.

eladh

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here.
Mine had been working flawlessly and everything was pretty smooth. (had it for about a week more or less). As most of the dead/ bricked N7 stories begin, mine has had it's battery fully drained as well.
tried to plug it with usb/ac - nothing.
tried to boot it into boot loader (Power button + Vol Down for about 10 sec) - It worked. turned it off. Finally - it charges (or so i thought).

gave it a good night charge, and checked it by morning.
I pressed the power button, it reacted immediately (more or less, didn't had to wait 30 sec) but couldn't get pass the X animation.

My N7 was in that state for about a day, with me trying all sort of button combination (power button would turn it on only to get stuck on that animation,
power btn + Vol Down loaded boot loader,
Power btn + Vol up turned device off).

after a day of not passing the X animation I tried once again to give it a shot
(the device is off, not connected to anything)

well, it got even worse, now it's pretty much all dead. no response what so ever
(yes i tried holding the power button for a decade or so and i tried every charging method I could think of

BTW
No response when connected to a computer as well.

Any ideas?

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here.
Mine had been working flawlessly and everything was pretty smooth. (had it for about a week more or less). As most of the dead/ bricked N7 stories begin, mine has had it's battery fully drained as well.
tried to plug it with usb/ac - nothing.
tried to boot it into boot loader (Power button + Vol Down for about 10 sec) - It worked. turned it off. Finally - it charges (or so i thought).

gave it a good night charge, and checked it by morning.
I pressed the power button, it reacted immediately (more or less, didn't had to wait 30 sec) but couldn't get pass the X animation.

My N7 was in that state for about a day, with me trying all sort of button combination (power button would turn it on only to get stuck on that animation,
power btn + Vol Down loaded boot loader,
Power btn + Vol up turned device off).

after a day of not passing the X animation I tried once again to give it a shot
(the device is off, not connected to anything)

well, it got even worse, now it's pretty much all dead. no response what so ever
(yes i tried holding the power button for a decade or so and i tried every charging method I could think of

BTW
No response when connected to a computer as well.

Any ideas?

If you can boot into the boot loader then your device isn't dead..try this..read it a couple times before doing the restore,your stuck in a boot loop,this should correct it:)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=191477
[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

Sent from my Nexus Asylum

droidfrk

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you I have just been through this with my N7. I have been crashing and rooting Roms for a few years now and I had never seen anything like this. Its like trying to work on an LG android device lol. Anyways here's how I fixed mine.
I first went to https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and downloaded the ROM I needed. I had been using a custom and honestly figured it was the culprit but maybe not.
I then downloaded http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809195
After following a few steps to fully install the out of box factory ROM , along with loosing everything that wasn't backed up I now have a fully functional device again. Hope this helps

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
I bought my nexus 7 on 9/24, was doing fine until last night. Scribbly screen, now completely dead. Wont respond to pressing the volume + power button.

I got my new Nexus 7 and it did exactly the same thing, brand new out of the box. I read somewhere that you could open it. I found that I could get under the back cover at one of the corners and pried the back off. I found the battery was almost completely unplugged. I pushed the battery connector all the way in and away it went. I also found that the battery is too small for the compartment and it relied on the power cable to keep it from moving around. I did the Mickey Mouse fix and took up the extra space with a round wooden toothpick. LOL It worked perfect and continues to work fine. Very poor design from Asus.
I hope this info helps someone else and keeps them from having to send it back.
Other than this little glitch, I love the tablet so far after only a few days use.

jayanti_jokham

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I got my new Nexus 7 and it did exactly the same thing, brand new out of the box. I read somewhere that you could open it. I found that I could get under the back cover at one of the corners and pried the back off. I found the battery was almost completely unplugged. I pushed the battery connector all the way in and away it went. I also found that the battery is too small for the compartment and it relied on the power cable to keep it from moving around. I did the Mickey Mouse fix and took up the extra space with a round wooden toothpick. LOL It worked perfect and continues to work fine. Very poor design from Asus.
Other than this little glitch, I love the tablet so -far after only a few days use.

Thank you for your little adventure and getting into device THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WAS WRONG WITH MY DEVICE. Just start on top right corner 'power button side and just run finger nail around it to open back cover. Push cable pin all the way in. Fill the gap in side to protect battery from future shift. Agree with SRFOX for very poor design on part of ASUS and leaving such a big gap in device. BTW I did tried "30 seconds" fix zillions bazillion times and DIDN'T work. Thanks SRFOX for posting this fix.

grahame320cs

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Other than this little glitch, I love the tablet so far after only a few days use.

Thanks for this post - I had almost given up hope. This exact fix worked for me and I even used the toothpick as recommended by srfox. :)

Lt Data

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

This seems to be a very common problem with these tabs; when my first Nexus 7 came DOA from newegg, it was the first thing I tried (to no avail). I found that the easiest way to get the case open was to use a guitar pick and slide it in between the case and the frame. Came open nicely.

Joe Bellamy

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
It was the battery for me as well. Pried the back off with a finger nail and pushed the battery connector back in. Poor design although at least they seem to have tried to stick the battery down to help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01