Best combination : Nexus 7 as tablet and iphone OR ipad mini as tablet and Android phone ?

shontrashi

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
title sayz it all. Wanna enjoy the best of the two giants. i find it pointless to own two iOS devices as phone and tablet and same goes for Android. But i'm confused with the best combination....i'm a former Ipad 2 user and currently i own Nexus 7. i could buy an Iphone perhaps 4s at the moment but i want to know in general what could be the best combination. thanks.

duke1231

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Both really good points.I have my n7, and I am using my iPhone 4s as my mp3 player and to make phone calls. The combo is working great. I listen to a lot of podcast, and I have found that the iPhone does it the best.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather have both be the same to monopolize on getting apps for both of them in one swoop. Not to mention only having to maintain one system (google music vs. itunes, etc.)

Anyway, if I just *had* to pick different ones, I would probably choose an android phone and the large ipad. Mostly because the iphone just looks so limiting.

That said, the only place where the apple products look to have a better "ecosystem" imo is with some games that android doesn't have, or at least doesn't get until a few months later. That would be an issue as I find that the best sized device for mobile gaming is the 7" tablet, and there the N7 has it all over the ipad mini. Again, imo.

-Suntan

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Android phone and iPad if you really want to do it that way. iPhone is too damn small ;-)

All banter aside the latest iPad is a fine piece of equipment. I'm thinking of getting my wife one because shes a casual user and iOS has more of the stuff she wants from a tablet. As much as I'd love to buy her a Nexus 10 I just don't think she would enjoy it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
+1 Android all the way. I do have an ipad 3 but it is a bit large to carry wihen traveling (with company laptop). Hopefully the Nexus 7 fills that role nicely.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
OP clearly wants a balance with both so I'm not going to say go all Android.

More than half the people I know with iPads use Android phones. I think Android phone with an iPad is a better combo than an iPhone with an Android tablet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Having to buy apps twice would suck but if i had to choose I'd say android phone with ipad. Apple ipad apps seem a little more polished than android counterparts

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather have both be the same to monopolize on getting apps for both of them in one swoop. Not to mention only having to maintain one system (google music vs. itunes, etc.)

Anyway, if I just *had* to pick different ones, I would probably choose an android phone and the large ipad. Mostly because the iphone just looks so limiting.

That said, the only place where the apple products look to have a better "ecosystem" imo is with some games that android doesn't have, or at least doesn't get until a few months later. That would be an issue as I find that the best sized device for mobile gaming is the 7" tablet, and there the N7 has it all over the ipad mini. Again, imo.

-Suntan

I agree on keeping both the same. Pick the platform you think is the best. I think Android is far better, although iOS does have about 270,000 fart apps to choose from :D

And Apple products cost considerable more. Which star would you like to hitch your wagon to?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Having to buy apps twice would suck but if i had to choose I'd say android phone with ipad. Apple ipad apps seem a little more polished than android counterparts

Done it! The Beach Buggy is free on both but has the cool water splashing on the screen on the Nexus 7 due to the Tegra 3. Bought Riptide GP for the Ipad so I could put it on the kids ipads and then just bought it for my Nexus 7. Not a big deal, but I guess it will add up over time.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been actually thinking about this myself. I LOVE my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. I like the idea of having both operating systems, not to mention all of the peripherals that the iPhone has available. I am not due for an upgrade until next December so I have time, but if Google fails to release a Nexus device on Verizon, I will be the proud owner of the next great thing from Apple. I figure if I get an iPhone and still have my Nexus 7, which you couldn't pry from my cold dead hands, I will still have the openness of Android with the 7 and the functionality of iPhone.

babo

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am deciding on what to do also. I have a iPhone 5 and no tablet. Thinking of getting a Nexus 7 or sell my iPhone 5 and getting a nexus 4 and iPad mini. please help

recharge23

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i have an iPhone 4s, a recently purchased nexus 7, and a 3rd gen iPad. for me, this setup is ideal. the iPad stays mostly at home while i am on the go with two small, different devices.

rogerbu

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe that having an iPhone and a nexus 7/10 would mean that the tablet couldn't be tethered to the iphone. (nexus wifi doesn't work to an 'adhoc' wifi, which is what iphone and nokia produces).

In which case it is probably still better to stay either Apple or Android for both

Happy to be shown to be wrong.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the og EVO and the iPad 3 but I also own the nexus 7 from my experience I say go with the android phone and apple tablet those tablet optimized apps make the experience way better imo

Sent from my PC36100

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I am deciding on what to do also. I have a iPhone 5 and no tablet. Thinking of getting a Nexus 7 or sell my iPhone 5 and getting a nexus 4 and iPad mini. please help

I say go for it best of both worlds fast updates from Google on the nexus 4 or you could wait for the iPad mini 2 either way you can't go wrong with that setup

Sent from my PC36100

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I believe that having an iPhone and a nexus 7/10 would mean that the tablet couldn't be tethered to the iphone. (nexus wifi doesn't work to an 'adhoc' wifi, which is what iphone and nokia produces).
I'm pretty sure the iPhone creates a proper managed AP, not an ad-hoc connection. Older models like the 3GS could only do ad-hoc, but 4 onwards should be fine. Although I haven't tried one with the Nexus 7 so I could be wrong.

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the android phone just because they can have swype which is a dream for one handed typing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20