Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jcherepy
  • 1 Post By YAYTech
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Car Charger

I had seen several posts from folks who have had mixed results using USB car chargers with their Nexus 7's. I bought a Duracell Dual Mini USB Car Charger for $12.95 to try and I can report that it will charge my Nexus 7. The package says it's "Fast Charging 2.1 Amp."

YMMV.

Bill
    jairusz and Eduardo06sp like this.

Default Re: Car Charger

I'm skeptic when it comes to car chargers. I've bought them before, but I'm afraid they'll give my battery too much charge. I wouldn't risk such danger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

This works great for me and both 110 & 12 volts. Charges as fast as the ASUS charger. Sprint All in One Combo Car & Wall Travel Charger 2 USB Ports S3 S2 EVO | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo06sp View Post
    I'm skeptic when it comes to car chargers. I've bought them before, but I'm afraid they'll give my battery too much charge. I wouldn't risk such danger.

All chargers should have its charge rate in amp-hr or mili amp-hr printed on it. Now that doesn't mean the device is working to specs. The stock wall charger that comes with this N7 pushes 2 amp per hour so any charger that pushes less won't hurt the internal battery. Batteries prefer slower charge rates over fast. On all of my devices, I always use a power supply device that is less than stock whenever possible to try to keep my battery with longer life.

I was on a road trip last weekend and my no name car charger doesn't push amps fast enough to maintain battery level during use.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    The charging circuit in your device creates a load. This load determines how much current is drawn from the supply. Doesn't matter if it's a 2 amp supply or a 10 amp. It will draw what it draws.
    +1, when buying a USB charger for devices like these, it's generally best to get the highest amperage output you can, for futureproofing reasons. You can use a 2.1a charger and plug anything into it and get a proper charge rate. My phone draws 1a, and it will draw 1a no matter if it's plugged into a 1a charger or a 2.1 charger. One thing to watch for, though, is often a charger rated for 2.1a can only put out that much, so if it has 2 ports, and you plug in the N7 and another device, something's not going to get charged at the full rate.

But yeah, as said, the device creates the draw. The current isn't "pushed" into the device resulting in an overcharge. Leave your device on the charger and observe, and you'll see it stops charging when it's full. (This was actually a minor annoyance on a recent road trip - my phone's nav would stay fully lit when plugged in, but dim the screen when not charging. Once it was fully charged, it quit charging, and the screen dimmed, and I kept having to tap the screen to see what to do next.)
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:
    Minkey1 likes this.

My Motorola fast charger from amazon worked great