Android Newbie getting started help!

robotdad

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Santa Claus has just bought a Nexus 7 for one of my children (7yr) there's a wealth of getting started tips out there and before I go in with all guns blazing I'm looking for a little bit extra guidance, so that when it's unwrapped Christmas morning it does things.

I'm pretty IT literate (actually because of my job I should be very IT literate), but to be honest I don't have the inclination to keep up with developments when I leave work, though I recognise it's good for my kids to keep up. Some questions I need answered:
  • How should I best set up/use a google account (I understand I need one), and the kids will want to access Apps, movies etc
  • I want my kids to be able to get the most out of the "emerging" technology but also want to keep them safe (and my credit card safe!)
  • I've got iTunes on the family laptop with most of my CD collection (never bought music online - see I told you I can't be bothered to keep up!) do I "just" put this into a google cloud.
  • Should I start accessing root (I'm aware that I will need to consider this should I want to access an external hard drive)
  • Can I use my home wi-fi hub to share media with other devices in the house or does it all have to go out to the cloud and back?
  • If I get the opportunity I'll probably even use it myself as will my wife and other daughter.

Santa's got my other daughter (8yr) an iPod Touch, (I know they're pricey and in a quirky place in the market, but it was in her letter to the North Pole!) so I need to sort this out too and factor in them accessing media from the same place (can I?) does anyone here use Apple stuff and any positive suggestions

This is one of the advice sites I've found
23 Essential Tweaks to Perform on Your New Nexus 7 Android Tablet - Tested

Any help will gladly be received!

Blkacesvf41

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Santa Claus has just bought a Nexus 7 for one of my children (7yr) there's a wealth of getting started tips out there and before I go in with all guns blazing I'm looking for a little bit extra guidance, so that when it's unwrapped Christmas morning it does things.

I'm pretty IT literate (actually because of my job I should be very IT literate), but to be honest I don't have the inclination to keep up with developments when I leave work, though I recognise it's good for my kids to keep up. Some questions I need answered:
  • How should I best set up/use a google account (I understand I need one), and the kids will want to access Apps, movies etc
  • I want my kids to be able to get the most out of the "emerging" technology but also want to keep them safe (and my credit card safe!)
  • I've got iTunes on the family laptop with most of my CD collection (never bought music online - see I told you I can't be bothered to keep up!) do I "just" put this into a google cloud.
  • Should I start accessing root (I'm aware that I will need to consider this should I want to access an external hard drive)
  • Can I use my home wi-fi hub to share media with other devices in the house or does it all have to go out to the cloud and back?
  • If I get the opportunity I'll probably even use it myself as will my wife and other daughter.

Santa's got my other daughter (8yr) an iPod Touch, (I know they're pricey and in a quirky place in the market, but it was in her letter to the North Pole!) so I need to sort this out too and factor in them accessing media from the same place (can I?) does anyone here use Apple stuff and any positive suggestions

This is one of the advice sites I've found
23 Essential Tweaks to Perform on Your New Nexus 7 Android Tablet - Tested

Any help will gladly be received!

Dude! You bought a 7 yrs old a Nexus? You can set it up so it will require a pin # for any purchase from Google Play. But your kids will be able to install anything that's free whether is apps or games.

gaijin82

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to stream music from your computer onto either tablet as long as they're on the same WiFi....actually not sure about apple.....if you can't on the nexus you can always get splash top streamer app....it just mirrors your desktop....although you wouldn't be able to mirror and use your Mac at the same time. Sorry not much experience with apple.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Keeb13r

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
In regards to your music question, you can have your iTunes music collection (up to 20,000 songs and if they are a supported file format) uploaded to a Google account through Google Music, thus making your music accessible from any web-enabled device. On Android devices, the music would be playable through Google's Play Music app (signed into that same Google account). On other operating systems, such as Windows and iOS, you can access the music from the web player. Google Music can sync your iTunes collection through a piece of software called "Music Manager" that runs in the background on your PC. It basically monitors the iTunes folder on your PC and detects any newly added songs or playlists.

Rooting your device is not necessary, it really depends on what you hope to accomplish. There are apps that will let you connect to other devices on your home network, such as your desktop computer. Many of these apps are specialized in accessing media or streaming it to other devices on your network. If you have an OTG cable for connecting to an external hard drive, just download the Nexus Media Importer app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&token=Sq8bkD3J ... no rooting necessary, and you can access files from a USB storage device.

I'm not sure what you mean by your question "does it all have to go out to the cloud and back". There are many ways of sharing media throughout your home WiFi network, it all depends on the specifics of what you want to do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara