Not able to get GPS in Navigation

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I swapped my N7 16 for a 32... tried to use Google Navigation and it no longer gets GPS... just sits there waiting for it. This was not an issue under Android 4.1 on the 16...

Other apps such as Google Maps and GPS Test have no problem.

I am connected to the web via wifi...

Any ideas what broke this?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning it off and on again? I had a problem with getting a GPS lock when I tried to use my Nexus 7 for navigation a couple of weeks ago and it didn't start working until I turned it off and back on. Mine is getting a lock in Navigation on 4.2 when I tested it just now, but I'm using a C60 16 GB model.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
just for grins and giggles, I loaded Google Navigation right now and it's just sitting there "waiting for location"

When I loaded Google Maps a few minutes ago it pinpointed my current location within 10 to 15 seconds...

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
What happens if you load directions in maps, then tell it to navigate? Same thing?

Same thing.... I think...

I haven't found a consistent way to get from Google Maps Directions to Google Navigation... sometimes the option is there (known locations with reviews such as restaurants) and other times it isn't (address of a home).

If I go straight into Navigation... it just sits there waiting for location... if I am able to go from maps to navigation the way I described above, same result.

If there is another way to go from maps to navigation I haven't found it nor have I tested it...

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I just used Google Navigation today, ran flawlessly for me......also using Nexus 7 with 4.2

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Tthis is what still....... happens when plotting in Gmaps then trying to navigate. (no location found starting from Nav first either).

Running stock and unrooted.....C60 with 4.2 G Maps and Nav still bunked up from the 4.2 update. :'( Hope it gets fixed soon as I use this feature.

My MapQuest locks in location quickly still.....

Gnav42broke.png

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
With 4.2.1 rolling out, I wouldn't do anything drastic to try to fix it quite yet, but if all else fails there's always things like factory reset to hopefully clear it up. Might try the clearing the cache from the recovery menu thing, that helped my few issues with 4.2.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I had this same problem after 4.1.2 update on stock N7 and it took a factory reset to fix it - I tried everything under the sun before doing that.

Keeb13r

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Google Navigation is just a separate launcher icon that comes with the Google Maps application (which is standard on Nexus devices). Not sure what you're expecting, but Google Navigation is a standard GPS navigation application.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I found the cause of the problem & the solution...

Under settings "provide location" was unchecked...

Settings > Accounts > Google > Location Settings > Let Google Apps Access Your Location

I had previously set it, so no idea how it got unchecked...

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Settings > Accounts > Google > Location Settings > Let Google Apps Access Your Location

WOW....Do I feel stupid! :confused: The 4.2 update must of reset this?

Thanks for that large clue starring me in the eye OldDogEyes.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Here is one other interesting tidbit..

Even though that box was unchecked and Navigation couldn't get the GPS as described in the original post, Google Maps was seeing the GPS just fine...

Wonder how that works that some Google Apps need that permission and others don't...

My guess is that Google Maps looks at the search location permission which I had granted but Google Maps Navigation requires that extra permission...

Wonder why it is done that way...

Oh yeah, I know, it helps Google's ad revenue to know my location... silly me...

silk7

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

Thank you so much!!
This was driving me batty for weeks!!! I did this and right i'm driving from Boston to DC. So far so good!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463