Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    If so, can it be done without rooting or jailbreaking? And if the answer to that is also yes, are there any issues that AT&T might have with it, or is it allowed?

    And if the answers are yes, and it is allowed... how exactly do you do it?

    I've looked around and can't seem to find a straight answer.

    Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

    Thx.

    Doc_V
    Last edited by Doc_V; 11-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_V View Post
    If so, can it be done without rooting or jailbreaking? And if the answer to that is also yes, are there any issues that AT&T might have with it, or is it allowed?

    And if the answers are yes, and it is allowed... how exactly do you do it?

    I've looked around and can't seem to find a straight answer.

    Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

    Thx.

    Doc_V
    you mean use iphone 4s internet in nexus 7???? (This is not possible unless you jailbreak or there are monthly subscription tether solutions)Att will know if you do it without jailbreak.

    or

    use nexus 7 internet in iphone 4S?? - yes, this can be done using an app called foxifi in nexus 7 and connecting 4s as a wifi.

    This is why i like Android. you can tether without carriers knowing it. Android give the flexibilty.
    if an Apple product comes in between it becomes complicated.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    you mean use iphone 4s internet in nexus 7???? (This is not possible unless you jailbreak or there are monthly subscription tether solutions)Att will know if you do it without jailbreak.

    or

    use nexus 7 internet in iphone 4S?? - yes, this can be done using an app called foxifi in nexus 7 and connecting 4s as a wifi.

    This is why i like Android. you can tether without carriers knowing it. Android give the flexibilty.
    if an Apple product comes in between it becomes complicated.
    Not sure what the difference is, I'm a little confused.

    I have an AT&T iPhone 4S, and I plan to buy a Nexus 7. I was hoping I could access the internet on the N7, via the iPhone, when normal wifi isn't available.

    Is this possible without jail-breaking, rooting or getting into trouble with AT&T?
    Last edited by Doc_V; 11-28-2012 at 11:12 PM.
  4. #4  
    skyrockett's Avatar

    Posts
    370 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    If you had galaxy nexus then it wouldn't be a problem. No extra pay No extra modifications.
    With iphone though you either have to pay extra for tether plan or do some hacking.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyrockett View Post
    If you had galaxy nexus then it wouldn't be a problem. No extra pay No extra modifications.
    With iphone though you either have to pay extra for tether plan or do some hacking.
    When you say, "galaxy nexus" do you mean an Android Phone vs iPhone?
  6. #6  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,665 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_V View Post
    Not sure what the difference is, I'm a little confused.

    I have an AT&T iPhone 4S, and I plan to buy a Nexus 7. I was hoping I could access the internet on the N7, via the iPhone, when normal wifi isn't available.

    Is this possible without jail-breaking, rooting or getting into trouble with AT&T?
    Yes. Buy a tethering plan for your iPhone. I believe it runs around $20 a month. Completely legit and sanctioned by AT&T since you're paying for it.

    EDIT (several days later) to add: As others have pointed out, if you are on a metered plan, it may already include tethering. Call AT&T and ask.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by natehoy; 11-30-2012 at 09:57 AM.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_V View Post
    When you say, "galaxy nexus" do you mean an Android Phone vs iPhone?
    yes, i think he meant any android phone vs iPhone.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_V View Post
    Not sure what the difference is, I'm a little confused.

    I have an AT&T iPhone 4S, and I plan to buy a Nexus 7. I was hoping I could access the internet on the N7, via the iPhone, when normal wifi isn't available.

    Is this possible without jail-breaking, rooting or getting into trouble with AT&T?

    I have an iPhone 4S, and a Nexus 7 - on the iPhone, I turn on the Personal Hotspot, then shortly after, the Nexus 7 connects to the phone and I'm away - full internet access. The first time the Nexus 7 connects to the phone, it'll ask for the password (which would have been set under Personal Hotspot on the phone).
    Thanked by:
    Doc_V 
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_V View Post
    Not sure what the difference is, I'm a little confused.

    I have an AT&T iPhone 4S, and I plan to buy a Nexus 7. I was hoping I could access the internet on the N7, via the iPhone, when normal wifi isn't available.

    Is this possible without jail-breaking, rooting or getting into trouble with AT&T?
    there is no rooting needed on nexus 7 for tether to work

    on iphone pick one "jail-breaking or getting into trouble with AT&T"
    Thanked by:
    Doc_V 
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    there is no rooting needed on nexus 7 for tether to work

    on iphone pick one "jail-breaking or getting into trouble with AT&T"
    I haven't rooted my Nexus 7 nor jail breaked my iPhone, just enabling Personal Hotspot on my iPhone allowed my Nexus 7 to connect to it thru WiFi and access the internet.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  
    skyrockett's Avatar

    Posts
    370 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by dduniam View Post
    I haven't rooted my Nexus 7 nor jail breaked my iPhone, just enabling Personal Hotspot on my iPhone allowed my Nexus 7 to connect to it thru WiFi and access the internet.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    You probably on tether plan or you will receive a bill with tether charge on top of you monthly charge. I know that tethering option is hidden on iphone
    If you're add tether plan this option comes visible. Thats what my buddy told me.
  12. #12  
    skyrockett's Avatar

    Posts
    370 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_V View Post
    When you say, "galaxy nexus" do you mean an Android Phone vs iPhone?
    No i don't mean android vs iphone. But I'v tried to point the most obvious flexible choice
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    I have an HTC sensation on T-mobile and have no problem tethering.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    I'm not sure about AT&T, but I do know that Verizon recently stopped charging the $20 tether fee that it sounds like you would have to pay on AT&T. We used to only be able to tether either by paying $20 for hotspot fee, or root our phones. I can't imagine why the iPhone would be different unless its an Apple thing, or why you would have to pay a fee to turn it into a mobile hotpot on AT&T when it had been deemed illegal for Verizon to charge users for the same thing.

    Perhaps call AT&T customer service? Other users don't seem to have a problem. Have you explored tether options in Settings on your iPhone?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Update... I called ATT and you have to have a minimum $50 5gig data plan to use mobile hotspots. I'm currently paying $25 for 2 gig and would have to upgrade if I wanted to use the mobile hotspot option on the iphone.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Seems a rip off really, data is data. 2 or 5 gig data no matter how you use it. If I want to use the data from a iphone for another device and pay for it, WTF. I sure find data plans a rip off, but again I guess there is so much to go around. I would consider a hack at that point. I don't think any court of law would see the harm in sharing data, doesn't make sense.
  17. #17  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,665 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by Westpix Photography View Post
    Seems a rip off really, data is data. 2 or 5 gig data no matter how you use it. If I want to use the data from a iphone for another device and pay for it, WTF. I sure find data plans a rip off, but again I guess there is so much to go around. I would consider a hack at that point. I don't think any court of law would see the harm in sharing data, doesn't make sense.
    I agree. Unfortunately, for the moment, the 5GB/$50 plan is the only tethering-capable data plan (according to their web site), which is really pathetic.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    What they are failing to tell you is that if you have one of the mobile share plans you can use tethering at no additional cost. I using it right now with my HTC One X. But you do lose the "unlimited" data plan by switching to it, however.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pdj79 View Post
    What they are failing to tell you is that if you have one of the mobile share plans you can use tethering at no additional cost. I using it right now with my HTC One X. But you do lose the "unlimited" data plan by switching to it, however.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I can see an issue with unlimited data plans, but a 2 or 5 gig plan, you would think they wouldn't care, and hope a user would go over the plan so they could charge extra. Maybe I'm thinking simple they probably charge more for a shared plan yes/no. But maybe the data plans in general are being under used or not peaked on average so they put these rules in place. So their records show users are not peaking the plans, and supplier is saving data usage. Can be my only theory. I wonder how the legal terms are written, almost sounds like some small print on page 541 section 2 somewhere in their contract. Monopolizing sounds more like it. I know business is business, but fair business practice would be use what you pay for, weather it's tethering or whatever. I have it here in British Columbia Canada, we get shafted on everything, wish I had a US acct. US has way more competition and probably hundreds of more choices. But your data seems comparable in prices.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

    I use Foxfi. I use the data from my Note 2 to use my Nexus and its flawless. Idk if you can use Foxfi with apple products.

Similar Threads

  1. is it possible transfer photos from camera to nexus 7?
    By shadowz01 in forum Google Nexus 7 (2012) Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 06:53 AM
  2. Is it possible to send an MMS text message?
    By jean15paul in forum HTC EVO 3D
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 02:26 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 04:04 PM
  4. Is It Possible To *UNROOT* An EVO on a MAC???
    By LACITYBOY in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 09:34 PM
  5. Is it possible to get a "virus" on an Android device?
    By sandman512 in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2010, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions