My New Nexus Seems to be Registered to Someone Else

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought a new Nexus 7 from Office Max today, when I got it home I charged it and it was all set up with my language, time zone and email account in someone else's name. Is this common? I can't to get to my own Gmail account, It would seem that someone returned this unit to office max and they sold it again without wiping it clean, literally it was covered in finger prints. Do you think I should return it for another tablet?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, exchange it! Someone at the store didn't follow procedure, so there's no reason for you to keep it. Ask to talk to the store manager so you can (nicely) complain, and see if they might provide a discount for your inconvenience.

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Thank you. I think I will exchange it. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it but I can't figure out how to get past the Gmail thing. and also the Google Plus is registered to the previous owner. Thanks for the response

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Definitely exchange it, and this time open the box and inspect the device before you leave the store. If they give you some BS about not having any more in stock, then you could insist to the manager that they give you some significant discount for the pre-owned device they falsely represented as brand new. Maybe ask for 20% off, settle for 15%. If they don't agree to any discount, then just return it for a full refund (do NOT agree to a restocking fee), and buy another one from somewhere else.

Realistically, though, it's easy enough to do a complete factory reset and set it up with your own account, so as long as there aren't any defects, it's still a good device.

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought they would have done a factory reset on it before they sold it to me. I don't know what the standard procedure is for returned devices. I've got 14 days to return it for a full refund. I suppose they just reset those devices returned and sell them for new. Someone must have forgotten to reset this one. I expect what they will do is take in the back room reset it and tell me it's a new one.

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I would return it for a full refund and buy elsewhere. Its the only way you will be happy you have a good deal plus how will this store deal with any future issues you may have. It maybe a little inconvienent to have to go somewhere else but its the only way.. Good luck

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if Google or Asus has changed the packing procedure for Nexus 7's, but my box (after you remove the outer sleeve) was sealed with a couple of black stickers, if they give you one they claim is new make sure these stickers are in place.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Same here. In fact it was a right performance unboxing altogether. Very snug fit.

Klister, this is an Office Max issue. Take it back. Hope it doesn't spoil your experience of the N7.

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
While I was opening the box I was struck by the fact that there were no stickers or tape that needed to be cut to open it. I was actually quite pleased at how easy the box was to open. I guess the reason it was so easy to open is because it had been opened before. The unit performs well, I don't see any obvious signs of wear. If the store had reset it and wiped off the exterior I would have been very satisfied and none the wiser. I live in a small town in Alaska not connected to the road system, the opportunities to shop elsewhere are very limited. I don't want to buy off the internet because the returns can run into weeks of delays due to shipping, weather, and practiced incompetence. I'll stop by the store this morning and talk with them. they've got a 14 day return policy so I'm not worried. I'll keep you posted on their response.

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I took the table back to Office Max, they exchanged it for a new one no questions asked. This one is came in a sealed box with the tablet itself wrap in a plastic cover. It looks new and never opened.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I took the table back to Office Max, they exchanged it for a new one no questions asked. This one is came in a sealed box with the tablet itself wrap in a plastic cover. It looks new and never opened.

And they probably took the old one out back and used it to bludgeon the person who forgot to factory reset it and give the screen a quick wipe with a lint-free cloth to make it look shiny and new again. :)

Glad it worked out for you.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Great. Be interested to know how you get on with it.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You know, this was a good story. You had a simple problem and were seeking some simple advice.

You didn't rant and rave about how incompetent and knuckleheaded the Office Max people were, didn't ask if you might be able to get the tablet for half price, and didn't threaten to never buy from that retailer or get another Google product again.

In the end, you resolved the problem calmly and simply. How refreshing, and a nice break from all the 4.2 moaning and groaning we've had to endure recently. Must be that cool and soothing Alaska air!

drlbg

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
There must be something going on with Office Max because when I got my Nexus 7 about two months ago, I bought it at an Office Max. I noticed that the tape on the box was sliced and then I started up the Nexus, I found out that it had been previously registered for the $25 Play Store credit. I called the Manager and they took it back for a full refund. I bought another one at Office Depot, no problem. Something is wrong in the Office Max world...too much of a coincidence. Hope they treated you right.

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the support. I got my tablet, looks nice & new, now I'm stumbling through the learning process. The questions have only just begun.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Something is wrong in the Office Max world...too much of a coincidence. Hope they treated you right.

Office Max has a pretty generous return policy. If they get something back in its original packaging from a customer who does not claim it to be defective, they'll inspect it and make sure it's in good shape. If it is, they'll put it back on the shelf and sell it again.

OP's issue was that someone in the back room forgot to tidy it up properly, yours was that something Office Max couldn't inspect was wrong (Play Store credit redeemed already). Mistakes happen. Two minor glitches does not a trend make.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the support. I got my tablet, looks nice & new, now I'm stumbling through the learning process. The questions have only just begun.

Sorry to hear that your initial introduction to the world of Android fondleslabs had a few minor bumps, but glad to hear they were corrected. Let the fun begin!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney