Nexus 7 battery dead, strange charging behaviour

Neil Phillips

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Had my Nexus7 for a month now, I think they are great.

Battery life seems ok so far.

I normally let the battery run right down before re-charging it.

Recently the battery life warning has popped up at varying intervals from 14% right down to 5% before switching itself off, now it shows once at 14% then dies.

When I plug it in to charge, it waits a minute, switches itself on for 30 seconds, then flashes up "auto shut-down" message again and dies.

The screen says its charging when it switches itself on for those 30 seconds but it repeats this several times.

Some times the screen shows strange static and lines upon shut-down, not the normal display and the speaker gives out static also.

Anyone else had a similar problem or know what's wrong with mine?

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Are you currently tunning 4.2.1??? I did a total wipe, and my battery life is horrid. Lots of folks over at xda are mentioning all sorts of different battery problems and other bugs with 4.2.1

My battery life has decreased by 40%.... There is definitely a problem. Your best bet is to do a factory reset / wipe cache, and go back to 4.1.2----- it is a very stable build in my opinion.

Or just sweat it out and wait for the next ota... Battery is driving me nuts as well, but I do not have the time too completely rebuild my system..

Best of luck

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Had my Nexus7 for a month now, I think they are great.

Battery life seems ok so far.

I normally let the battery run right down before re-charging it.

Recently the battery life warning has popped up at varying intervals from 14% right down to 5% before switching itself off, now it shows once at 14% then dies.

When I plug it in to charge, it waits a minute, switches itself on for 30 seconds, then flashes up "auto shut-down" message again and dies.

The screen says its charging when it switches itself on for those 30 seconds but it repeats this several times.

Some times the screen shows strange static and lines upon shut-down, not the normal display and the speaker gives out static also.

Anyone else had a similar problem or know what's wrong with mine?

My most logical explanation would be to completely drain the battery, then charge it completely. Proceed at your own risk; I have no source information.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Neil Phillips

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm running 4.2.1 but not sure when that was installed.

Just installed "auto airplane" app to see if that helps battery life.

The problem Eduardo is when the tablet DOES drain to zero battery, it starts acting strange when its plugged in to recharge

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm running 4.2.1 but not sure when that was installed.

Just installed "auto airplane" app to see if that helps battery life.

The problem Eduardo is when the tablet DOES drain to zero battery, it starts acting strange when its plugged in to recharge

Oh I thought that re-calibrating the battery would work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed it takes a good while (half hour or so) of charging before i can turn the n7 on, without it immediately turning itself back off again. I've never experienced this before on a phone or tablet. I'd think it should charge at a faster rate than it needs to stay switched on. In my opinion, that's all it is. Not a fault exactly but it just needs a bit more power to start from a dead battery and remain on.

Sherin Farid

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just encountered this problem as well a few days ago and freaked out. I thought something was faulty with my device I didn't think it could be caused by the latest update (which kind of makes sense)

I was using the device and battery was at about 24% when it suddenly powered off and refused to switch on, when I plugged it in it kept restarting and powering off repeatedly and I had no means to stop the cycle.

Faizah Muhammadi

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just encountered this problem as well a few days ago and freaked out. I thought something was faulty with my device I didn't think it could be caused by the latest update (which kind of makes sense)

I was using the device and battery was at about 24% when it suddenly powered off and refused to switch on, when I plugged it in it kept restarting and powering off repeatedly and I had no means to stop the cycle.

How did you fix this problem, Shirin? My Nexus 7 seems like it's in a neverending cycle of restarting itself. I just want it to stop trying to turn on and continue charging but I'm not sure how I can do that. It will turn on for 10 seconds or so, the notification sound for low battery pops up and then immediately there's a static sort of sound after which the device shuts off and starts the whole process over!

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Somebody else in this forum said that pressing (or holding?) the power and volume down buttons in those ten seconds shows up a menu where you can shut it down for good. Then after a while you should be able to turn it on again ;)

Sherin Farid

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
How did you fix this problem, Shirin? My Nexus 7 seems like it's in a neverending cycle of restarting itself. I just want it to stop trying to turn on and continue charging but I'm not sure how I can do that. It will turn on for 10 seconds or so, the notification sound for low battery pops up and then immediately there's a static sort of sound after which the device shuts off and starts the whole process over!

I suggest doing what Kimi said. Hold the power and volume buttons it will take you to the Recovery mode of the device.

I was getting the static sound as well and I tried to stop it from this restart loop, unfortunately by the time I thought of booting it into recovery the battery completely died and it stopped restarting on its own. It took well over 8 hours to recharge back to 100% and now I feel like the battery is depleting much faster than before. I hope Google patches up this problem soon.

loftysmyth

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
How did you fix this? When I plug my nexus in to charge it boots up starts up the screen comes up normal for about 5 seconds and then the static and noise come. It charges for a couple of minutes and then starts doing it again.
Someone help please!!!

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
How did you fix this? When I plug my nexus in to charge it boots up starts up the screen comes up normal for about 5 seconds and then the static and noise come. It charges for a couple of minutes and then starts doing it again.
Someone help please!!!

Did you read the two posts right above yours?

Mike Reys

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Exactly the same behaviour here. Just sent it back. None of the recommended procedure (30 second power, 30 second power + volume up,...) seem to help.
:'(

lonand313

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I also had this problem within the last couple of weeks...it stressed me out so bad...I wanna just throw my Nexus 7 ...out the nearest window....But, what I did was calibrate the battery and downloaded an app from Google play...called battery saver and a battery faster charger....results are so far so good....

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Try this:

My Nexus 7 isn't charging properly - Nexus Help

Seems to have worked for mine.

I did exactly what it told me to. Then i waited an hour and turned it back on and my Nexus 7 is back to life...
back story: I used my nexus 7 till it was around 14% but then it started saying "Reconnect to Charger" and then "Powering off" then the screen just crashes and static noise can be heard. I tried doing a hard reset but I didn't know how so I let it sit there and charge while the static noise was going... after an hour, I rebooted it and it powered on with 30% battery... That was the first time. On the second time, it was 28% and then it said "Reconnect to Charger" and then "Powering off"... So I wasnt worried and tried the same method... letting it charge with the static for an hour...this time It didnt work.... and I did a hard reset... didn't do anything. Went to the welcome screen then said "powering Off" Then i saw this link, powered off and saw the battery charging... Right now it is at 35%, everything resetted, (oh well) but its working fine now. Thanks for the link.