Clock shows wrong time zone on Nexus 7

Lesgreen

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I live in the Pacific Time Zone. I recently travelled to the eastern time zone and got the tablet to show its local time there. But since I have returned to CA it refuses to show Pacific time zone, unless I click on "Los Angeles", in which case I get a second smaller clock with pacific time zone underneath the eastern time zone. Why is the clock not resetting to my local time zone? I am using using Nexus 7 with Android 4.2.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! But why should I have to tell it what time zone I am in? My cell phone seems to figure it out without any problem.
your phone has cell radio so its easy to figure out the location. nexus 7 is wifi only so it cannot figure out that easily like phone.

but from wifi it could automatically switch the time zone. maybe you didnt give enought time for it to correct itself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open the Clock, go to its Settings, and make sure the Home Time Zone is set correctly. Also, as mentioned above, go to the main System Settings/Date & time, and make sure your correct time zone is displayed under Select Time Zone.

capnfatpants

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all. Also, thank the search function because I was having the opposite problem. I got my n7 from CA, but live in OH... I found the main settings, but couldn't figure out why the lock screen still had the small "Home time clock". I like the internet.

Linda L

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to this but wonder how it is that my iPad 2 keeps my calendar settings with my local times but the system clock reflects the time zone that I've travelled to--which is what i would like to happen on my nexus 7.

awperk

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My laptop updates the time zone automatically so why doesn't my nexus 7? The cell radio argument is a baseless one as well because the nexus 7 has wifi and gps which both provide the same location accuracy that my cell phone does.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
My laptop updates the time zone automatically so why doesn't my nexus 7? The cell radio argument is a baseless one as well because the nexus 7 has wifi and gps which both provide the same location accuracy that my cell phone does.

your windows laptop only does time sync if you or the oem set it to do the time sync. I have no idea if iOS /apple os dujour does time sync by default but neither win xp nor win7 do atomic clock/NTP sync by default.

After you have installed any of the Android time sync apps just as you would enable time sync for your Win OS, then you have done your due diligence required to get your computer to time sync something like a phone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

Vincent Dubois

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem and cannot find a fix for it: I traveled with my N7 and it created a small 2nd clock. This 2nd clock now still shows the time in the time zone I was and I cannot get rid of it. And can I make it disappear? Thanks

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like some of you have turned on the "Use home time zone" setting in the Calendar app, but then changed the home time zone to wherever you traveled to while you were there. Consequently, when you returned home, the calendar is now showing you both calendars (where you traveled to--which it thinks is now your home time zone) and where you are now (actually at home).

The proper way to use the "Use home time zone" feature is to set the home time zone to your actual home's time zone and leave that setting alone. Then when you travel, if you need to adjust the time zone, do so in the System Date & Time setting ("Automatic Date & Time--Use network-provided time" works for me). If the automatic setting doesn't work for some reason, you can adjust the timezone with the same system setting without affecting the calendar's "Use home time zone" setting.

Vincent Dubois

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
While looking, I found it: in the clock, if you click on the "place" button in the middle at the bottom, you see all the cities. The city I had traveled to was selected. I just unselected it and it is back to normal. Not sure if I selected it manually or if it was done automatically, anyways it is now ok. Thanks

peter haworth

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
My wife's WiFi only iPad automatically changes timezone my nexus 7 wifi only doesn'tso clearly cell service is not required to do this.

In my calendar, the home time zone is set to PST correctly and use home time zone is not checked.

This should work so it's either bug or a shortcoming.

rileyrg

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
your phone has cell radio so its easy to figure out the location. nexus 7 is wifi only so it cannot figure out that easily like phone.

but from wifi it could automatically switch the time zone. maybe you didnt give enought time for it to correct itself.

So it cant use it GPS? It can determine its timezone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So it cant use it GPS? It can determine its timezone.

Welcome to Android Central! Android devices need a cell signal to determine time zone. So devices without a cell signal (i.e., wi-fi only devices, like most tablets) will have a "Select Time Zone" option in the Settings>Date & Time menu. You can get the time automatically from the network, but this will essentially be GMT, which then has to be adjusted by the time zone you choose.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It may help to post in the right forum section.

If all else fails, you could always do a factory reset.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781