Hi all, just purchased a new n7 unlocked, looking for links.

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Pretty new to smart phones, played a bit with wifes iphone4. I thought the mini mac tab would be the ticket, but saw the stats on the n7 and did a little looking into some apps.
I need to get a data plan set up for sure, as I bought this direct from Google and an unlocked version possibly phone service for the price why not. Any thoughts on this phone capability, is it like others pending on service provider. I live in Vancouver BC Canada if that helps. But just digging for info and a good forum to fall back on when in question. I am a Mac believer and do allot of editing with the Mac, I thought the Mac tab would be the answer, but can't bring myself to spend big money on disposable technology. I do this enough with Nikon cameras.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you asking for advice on a mobile data provider for your Nexus 7 model with mobile broadband capability? The Nexus 7 with mobile broadband only provides for data service, not phone service.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you asking for advice on a mobile data provider for your Nexus 7 model with mobile broadband capability? The Nexus 7 with mobile broadband only provides for data service, not phone service.
This was what I was looking for, with data and some software, all is good. I have a phone, just not a smart phone. If I had to talk through the tablet I wonder what the data consummation would be, not that I would that much, but texting and e mail are essential to me. But thank you for the response I will keep looking into plans. I wonder if getting a sim for pay as you go, down in the US would be a smart move when traveling, our rates up here are criminal as far as US data roaming goes.
My thoughts on buying this tablet were, showing Photography on websites on locations, and ideas for shoots. Texting easier than my mike phone, which is painfully slow. Keeping in touch with clients on the road. Also making pdf bills and fast contacts for gear rental locations if needed in a specific area, or maps to get there fast. I am very new to the tablet, but see a need to keep up to date, and organized.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting read on the codecs for the app. Buddy still gave it a five star.....Jason Garland - November 27, 2012 - Version 2.15
1.2MB/minute(81.92kbps) / minute is quite a bit!
What codec are you using? It must be G.711. Google Talk supports G.711A, G.711U, G.722, GSM, iLBC, and Speex. I would like to have a choice of codec when making / receiving calls to save bandwidth and possibly even handle latency and packet loss better. I think Speex @ 8khz would be great! Speex is 2.15-24.6 kbps, iLBC is 15.2 kbps, GSM is 13 kbps, and G.711A/U are 64 kbps then add about 18kbps for IP overhead to each direction.

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
sorry, Westpix, you are way past my phone expertise...where if it dials -> rings -> answered is good enough for me, LOL

You might try the XDA forum - that is where the real nerds with tech expertise hang out. They have a Nexus 7 subforum too, but VOIP discussions probably span multiple devices....

Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers
I believe he is taking about a internet phone software, using to much bandwidth, codecs that are not compliant with the service make it like a 4 cylinder engine or 1800cc engine trying to power a big rig. 1.25 or so megabits of data being eaten up every minute. I had to search out usage amounts to get an idea how feasible an internet phone would be, so reading this I might try all apps then watch my usage then pick one. Unless someone has the better of these apps. sounds like he likes SPEEKS as a less consuming app.