Please Help Me Pick A 7" Tablet For My Daughter

Dostovel

Jul 15, 2010
www.facebook.com
I've been an android enthusiast for 3 years and am currently running a Galaxy Nexus on VZW and just waiting for "the next best phone". But in the mean time, my daughter is turning 9 and she has wanted a tablet for a while so I figure now is good. I only have a couple weeks until her birthday and have no experience at all with tablets. I am currently between the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, and Galaxy Tab2 7". They're all about the same price, but I can get the Kindle Fire HD and the Galaxy Tab2 through Volkswagen incentive points for what is essentially no cash out of pocket. By default, I wanted to get the Nexus 7 and then I realized, I'm not buying it for myself, would she really care which one?

Anyway, I don't mind buying the Nexus if it's hand down the best one. If you read this and you have an opinion but don't want to write out a bunch of stuff, can you just reply with your preference lol I'll be spending the next few days reading and doing some research, but my fellow Android Central enthusiasts opinions matter to me! Thanks!

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been an android enthusiast for 3 years and am currently running a Galaxy Nexus on VZW and just waiting for "the next best phone". But in the mean time, my daughter is turning 9 and she has wanted a tablet for a while so I figure now is good. I only have a couple weeks until her birthday and have no experience at all with tablets. I am currently between the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, and Galaxy Tab2 7". They're all about the same price, but I can get the Kindle Fire HD and the Galaxy Tab2 through Volkswagen incentive points for what is essentially no cash out of pocket. By default, I wanted to get the Nexus 7 and then I realized, I'm not buying it for myself, would she really care which one?

Anyway, I don't mind buying the Nexus if it's hand down the best one. If you read this and you have an opinion but don't want to write out a bunch of stuff, can you just reply with your preference lol I'll be spending the next few days reading and doing some research, but my fellow Android Central enthusiasts opinions matter to me! Thanks!

I'd say buy her a Nexus 7. You can have multiple accounts, in case she wants to share with get siblings. Also, if she gets Android phones when she's older, you can keep the purchased applications if they're compatible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I have both an original Fire and Nexus 7. The only thing I'd be concerned with on a Fire is that whatever account the Fire is tied to, those things show up in the carousel. For instance, my grandson has a Fire, registered to my account. Every book I buy shows up in the carousel on his Fire. You can sideload an alternate launcher, but at 9 she can easily get around that.

Google's pay store also has more apps and games than the Amazon app store.

Both are excellent tablets, though.

rromeroiii

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd go for the NX 7. Multiple accounts for her, her siblings, and her friends. Constant up dates, most apps, best deves( if that's her thing) but the kindle fire has the most media content;movies, books, and music. I have the NX7 and don't have any complaints.I love it and I love that when I get my NX4 it'll be running the same OS. No learning curve, just log in download my apps and keep on rolling lol
Sent From My NX7

Dostovel

Jul 15, 2010
www.facebook.com
Good point about the Google Play store. That's a big one I didn't even realize. I saw on the Fire about side loading etc and breezed right by that, because for me, piece of cake, for her, not so much. And the N7 is obviously the more current hardware choice over the GalTab2. Okay, daddy may have to pony up for the N7.

CJREX

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
On a Nexus forum you are of course going to be pointed to the Nexus, but if the Galaxy Tab 2 is available for $0 I would get it in a heartbeat.

It is not as fast nor does it have as nice a display as the N7 (though it does have a nice display), but it has a MicroSD slot so you can load all her favorite music and video files and never worry about it filling up. Full access to the Play Store is there as well.

It also has a camera so she can take pictures with it. Better overall build quality vs the N7 too.

I had one and it was a very nice tablet. Lots of available accessories too.

The minuses vs the Nexus are the processor is slower, the screen has lower resolution, and being from Samsung you will wait a bit for updates.

I honestly doubt any of those minuses will be a concern for you daughter.

Get her the Galaxy Tab 2 and yourself the N7 for the same out of pocket. Win win :D

Kim Freshour Hiles

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 7" Kindle Fire HD, which was quite nice but you can"t access the Google Play Store. SO I returned it and bought a Google Nexus 7. I LOVE IT!! It's fast, nice to hold and can access all the android apps. Did I say I loved it?? LOL

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
On a Nexus forum you are of course going to be pointed to the Nexus, but if the Galaxy Tab 2 is available for $0 I would get it in a heartbeat.

The minuses vs the Nexus are the processor is slower, the screen has lower resolution, and being from Samsung you will wait a bit for updates. I honestly doubt any of those minuses will be a concern for you daughter.
The analysis by CJREX is excellent. I think the first and especially last sentences here are key. Most 9 year olds really don't care about all the geeky stuff many of us here on the forum seem to concern ourselves with. Does it basically look cool? Check! Does it work as intended? Check! Are the XT-GL9 and Hyperwowseeitgofast-2000 benchmarks outlandishly faster than the competition? Who cares?!

With that being said, and keeping in mind that your daughter would likely be thrilled to unwrap a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Tab, if you don't care about the cost and getting a virtually free tablet isn't your main concern, then I recommend the N7. Updates are a non issue in this situation, but the nicer screen and (maybe) faster response times might be worthwhile.

If you go this route, I'd also recommend getting the 32gb model, since you can't add storage later with an SD card. You can then more easily store videos, photos and music, and download bigger games, without having to worry about running out of room or constantly swapping things out.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I can get the Kindle Fire HD and the Galaxy Tab2 through Volkswagen incentive points for what is essentially no cash out of pocket

Here's why I never buy electronics with any type of points, gift cards or the like. If I charge the TOTAL price of an item on a credit card, I get a free extended warranty up to one year from the credit card company. If I pay with points, or any part with a gift card or cash, there is no extended warranty. I recently made a claim when the hard drive went on my laptop, and the warranty claim was effortless and reimbursement was fast. I think most CC companies in the U.S. offer the free extended warranty service. Whatever country you live in, it is worth it to check with your CC company for availability and details.

btw, I have a Nexus 7 and love it; so do my grandchildren ages 5 & 9. If I ever got one solely for them, I'd set up a new google account specifically for them, so they can't access my email, Google drive, etc.

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought my 10 year old and 8 year old daughters a Nexus 7 as they kept stealing mine. Theirs just has games, Netflix, and Hulu Plus.

Now they fight over it, and the loser takes mine. And I end up on my HTC One X.

Sigh. At least there's no arguing over what to watch since they each have one.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I recommend the Nexus 7, by a mile. It easily gives you the best Android experience out of all the tablets. It is simple and intuitive. Well built and solid, it is great for kids.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.2.1

Dostovel

Jul 15, 2010
www.facebook.com
Thanks for all the input, folks. Went with the N7 and thinking about getting the Galaxy2 tab for my girlfriend for Christmas. I figured I'd be spending the $200 one way or another and neither of them are geeky like me. The Galaxy will be better for the girlfriend because she'd utilize the expansion SD slot. So all the input really helped and that's why I like it here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34