Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Should I get a protection plan on my Nexus 7

Am leaning towards getting a SquareTrade protection plan but not sure
    for how long. 2 or 3 years.

Maybe I shouldnt bother. Tablet looks so sturdy.

What do you think.

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

Default Re: Should I get a protection plan on my Nexus 7

This is not a $500 tablet or a device requiring you to sign a 2 year contract. For that reason I elected to forgo any protection plans. If I do something to break my device I will lick my wounds and spend another $200 on whatever happens to be the latest 7 inch Nexus available.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would seriously consider one, if:

- you are clumsy
    - anyone living with you is clumsy
    - you plan to take it to work and have coworkers that may mess with it & be clumsy
    - you have children
    - you have friends or family with children that visit sometimes
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

I agree with Aguaski, the Nexus 7 isn't an expensive enough device to justify the insurance.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I would normally not get one for a $200 device, but when I bought mine at Walmart they give you the option of buying a two year service plan for $19 so I bought it.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think you need to add the total premiums plus the deductible and decide if the remaining benefit is worth it. Be careful of extended warranty, after all its under a one year already less breakage coverage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by comandoed View Post

Maybe I shouldnt bother. Tablet looks so sturdy.

What do you think.
    The screen is not bulletproof. Rather than try to guess how durable the tablet is, consider the worst-case scenario. If your N7 breaks, how painful will it be for you to purchase a replacement? If it would be a financial burden and it will be operated in a "dangerous" environment (see YAYTech's comment), then consider the insurance. If it would not be a big deal to replace and you aren't putting it in harms way on a regular basis, then save your money.

This tablet NEEDS a protection plan. Im on my 3rd one haha.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBuckeyes View Post
    I would normally not get one for a $200 device, but when I bought mine at Walmart they give you the option of buying a two year service plan for $19 so I bought it.
    Wow, that's cheap. Office Max wanted $50 so I passed on it. Should have gotten mine at Walmart...

its only $199

Insurance is for things you can't afford to replace if it breaks. Remember that the companies offering the insurance need to make money on it. So given the Wal-Mart cover for $19, if that is the for the $199 Nexus 7 then they expect no more than 1 in every 11 people to claim it, if you think the chance of you breaking it in the period it is covered is greater than 10% then get it, otherwise don't.

First one I bought direct from Google. Screen cracked after 3 months. My 7 was babied. Never dropped, always in a protective case, cracked anyway. Google stepped aside and let the manufacturer take the bullet who in turn refused to cover it. Second one bought at Walmart with affordable two year coverage. So far so good. Google the durabilty test of the Nexus 7 and you won't want to own one without insurance.

I bought my Nexus 7 last July, and keep mine naked -- not even a screen protector to mar the tactile experience Asus worked so hard to achieve.

It's been bulletproof. My wife dumped it out of her purse onto the concrete the other night. The impact on the corner caused the case to separate a bit. Snapped it back together, and it's still perfect.

I've had it for around 180 days now, so I figure I've paid about $1.30/day for it, thus far. I've derived WAY more value from the device than that, so even if it quit dead right now I wouldn't feel ripped off.

Bottom line; Unless you're incredibly rough on things, insurance on a device like the N7 is a sucker's bet.

I paid the $19 at Walmart too. Mostly because it covers cracked screens and spill damage. The tablet is so cheap the extra 20 bucks was nothing in exchange for the extra piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by comandoed View Post

What do you think.
    Square Trade has decent warranties, and covers things like spills and falls that aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty. However, as I wrote elsewhere in these forums, if I charge the TOTAL price of an item on a credit card, I get a free extended warranty up to one year from the credit card company. It matches the manufacturers warranty. If I pay with points, or any part with a gift card or cash, there is no extended warranty. I recently made a claim when the hard drive went on my laptop, and the warranty claim was effortless and reimbursement was fast. I think most CC companies in the U.S. offer the free extended warranty service. Whatever country you live in, it is worth it to check with your CC company for availability and details.

I didn't buy an extended warranty on my Nexus 7 but I did buy a good case.

Wow I did not realize they had them so low. I bought my kids one this week from staples, have not bought protection yet, just grabbed a screen protector, maybe I should have gone to Walmart. Anybody know if there is any benefit to Sq Trade over Walmart plan, maybe I should return this.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBuckeyes View Post
    $28 for the 32g, got one tonight and added the product care plan so my wife can have peace of mind when she let's the granddaughters play games in hers, I don't let them near my 16g I got in July.

Sent from planet earth

Does the Walmart extended protection cover accidents? Also, is it possible to buy it AFTER a purchase? They didn't mention a word about it when I bought the Nexus 7 a couple weeks ago, but of course I have saved my receipt.

We have 3 cats who startle easy and sometimes dump stuff on the floor as they split. I figure accident protection is not an entirely bad idea. We had to replace a library book once when a cat knocked over hubby's 24 oz. mug of coffee.

I was planning on a Square Trade warranty, but if Walmart covers accidents, that might be cheaper.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Thing Two).

You have 30 days from date of receipt. Just go to Walmart.com and you can purchase it from there. That's what I did.

Walmart's plan is ADH for only 30 bucks?? Can you purchase protection even if your device wasn't purchased from their store?

I bought the $53 3-year ADH protection from Squaretrade. Mine's always in a protective case with a screen protector on, so I doubt anything would happen. Though, 3 years of ADH is nice, on the off-chance a clumsy relative gets their hands on it. I probably won't even be using this tablet 3 years from now, but for like a dollar a month I think it's worth it. As great as this tablet is, I don't think solid construction is one of its strong suits.

Bought two 16GB Nexus 7s for my daughters for Christmas and I used 40% off codes I found online to get 2 year squaretrade warranties for $30 a piece. Since they are for kids, thought it wasn't a bad deal. Covers everything including accidental damage. Haven't used squaretrade before but from the reviews I've read people have been happy with their service.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Walmart's plan is ADH for only 30 bucks?? Can you purchase protection even if your device wasn't purchased from their store?
    Has to be purchased at walmart to use their protection plan.

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

dropped my nexus7 once and it broke the screen and it had a cover. the screen is as fragile as an apple tablet. you'll wish you spent $50 to insure it. to replace the screen it costs $180.

I got coveted by Staples warranty including full accidental damage coverage. Basically no matter what happens they will either fix it or send u a gift card for a new one. This was totally worth it to me because I bent the USB (totally flimsy IMHO), and they sent me a $200 gift card. I got the new one covered the same way and then dropped and shattered it. I am calling tomorrow to (hopefully ) have it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Lamb View Post
    I got coveted by Staples warranty including full accidental damage coverage. Basically no matter what happens they will either fix it or send u a gift card for a new one. This was totally worth it to me because I bent the USB (totally flimsy IMHO), and they sent me a $200 gift card. I got the new one covered the same way and then dropped and shattered it. I am calling tomorrow to (hopefully ) have it replaced.

Cost?....
    42... need I say more...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast