Build Issues resolved (esp on 3G model)?

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have been planning on buying the Nexus 7 since a long time. First I wanted the 8GB model, but those problems with charging and screen lift kept me from getting it. When I heard about an upcoming 32GB edition, I was hoping that it would result in a whole new production batch, with those problems being a past thing.

It is really important to know wether those problems are still present, cause I would buy the 3G model from the Play Store, but I will soon leave the US for a long time, so if something was wrong with the tablet, I would be really screwed! Since I have no 3G device, I have to go with that one, otherwise I would get the Wifi only model at a local retailer, where returning it wouldn't be a big deal. But with all that shipping it could take a while till I get a working device if something went wrong, especially since some people said that even their fourth replacement still had issues. And if it would happen while I'm in Germany - well, like I said above, I would be screwed since there would be no way to get it repaired by Asus.

I really want the 3G model, but I don't wanna risk losing 300$! Reports of problems have become rare now, but just today I saw that somebody had a screen lift with a 32GB model.

Can I risk it? Cause otherwise I would be stuck with 3 more months without any internet connection, since the Edge on my iPhone 3G is too slow in this area and I wouldn't get it again next month (and Edge is actually fast enough for me, but in this area I have almost no signal, and waiting 5 mi utes for one page is not worth 50 bucks!)

Oh, and sorry for that long story :D

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Most are fine, it's just that the few that get units with issues yell about it quite loudly, while most with no issues never say anything. There have also been suspicions that some of the posts complaining about problems are actually trolls, etc. That said, there have been some issues out there, so I wouldn't say there's no risk of getting a bad unit, but that's the case with any purchase, electronic or otherwise (consider that the industry average for automobiles is 132 complaints per 100 vehicles... you're almost guaranteed to have a problem with a new car, and a reasonable chance you'll have two or more!).

Is there a device that fits your needs that you could get warranty service on if there is a problem later on? Not sure where you're heading, but the logistics of warranty coverage are worth considering, as well as the logistics of a purchase return.

I'd think the risk of an initial defect is pretty low, so if the 3G N7 fits your needs perfectly, I'd go for it.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
YAYTech's analysis and advice is very good. You'll likely end up with a perfectly good unit, and if it's not perfect, whatever blemish it has would probably be minor and something you'd live with anyway. Many screen lifts issues are minor, though some (like on my first N7 from July) are significant enough to warrant an exchange. But this is mainly due to the annoyance of it ( "it just shouldn't squeak and be this way" ) as opposed to it causing the N7 to not work. Plus, some people were bothered by it while others just didn't care.

But there is a chance, just as would be the case with a Samsung or Apple product, or a camera or a phone or a you name it, that you'll get a truly defective unit that needs to be exchanged. Maybe the Nexus 7 has a slightly higher defect rate than competitors, but it's unlikely significant to the point where it should sway your decision.

Years ago I bought a new camcorder from B&H Photo Video just a few days before leaving on my first overseas vacation. It was in perfect condition, but I was indeed worried about the "what if it's defective" issue. So I understand your concern.

The dilemma really comes down to how soon you'll be leaving the country after receiving your unit, whether it be the Nexus 7 or anything else you buy online. If it's three weeks, this is plenty of time to discover the defect and get an exchange from Google. Two weeks is a little more iffy, but doable.

If you just don't like this minor risk, one alternative is to buy it once you're in Germany, since I think Google sells it online there. I'm not sure about that, and I'm sure this option has both positive and negative points, but it's probably worth researching.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I owned a 16 GB version and now own a 32 GB + HSPA version. The improvement in build quality is noticeable. My original N7 had screen lift, poor speakers, and was very squeaky. The new unit has none of those issues.

In spite of these problems on my 16 gb unit, it was still a fantastic device--none of its issues caused any real world operating issues with the device.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, especially now that some of the build quality issues seem to be resolved.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I understand that every product could be damaged, wether that's Apple or Samsung or some cheap company. But there seems to be alot of complaints about the N7. And, I know Asus as a brand that is more cheap than good. However, once had one in my hand, it felt pretty good in quality.

I'm leaving in about three months, and will probably buy it in two weeks. Well, that actually depends on this due hospital bill and how much my wife will leave in Disneyland next week :eek: 3 months is plenty of time for an exchange, but I'm not quite a pacient person :|

Buying it in Germany I would only get the 32GB widfi only, if even any. I need the 3G now, because the internet on my phone is slower than dial-up, and my parents are waiting to skype with their grandson :D

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I understand that every product could be damaged, wether that's Apple or Samsung or some cheap company. But there seems to be alot of complaints about the N7. And, I know Asus as a brand that is more cheap than good. However, once had one in my hand, it felt pretty good in quality.

I'm leaving in about three months, and will probably buy it in two weeks. Well, that actually depends on this due hospital bill and how much my wife will leave in Disneyland next week :eek: 3 months is plenty of time for an exchange, but I'm not quite a pacient person :|
Oh, with that amount of time you'll have no problem in the unlikely event that you receive a defective unit. If you buy from Google and find a defect sometime during the first 15 days (that's the official period, though I think they're flexible), you call them to arrange for an exchange.

They'll quickly send you a new unit via FedEx 2 day delivery. They'll also email you all the RMA materials, including the prepaid UPS label, for the return. You have two weeks from the point that you receive the new unit to return to defective unit. This means you won't be without your Nexus 7, and it also gives you a chance to compare the replacement with the defective unit, and to set up the new one by referencing the old (convenient if you've done lots of customization).

Google will put a hold on your credit card for the cost of the replacement, but won't actually charge it unless they don't receive the defective unit in time.

By the way, Asus is actually a pretty high end company. I assembled my computer using an Asus motherboard (and other Asus parts), as Asus is known to make among the best. Their manufacturing specs for the Nexus 7, plus the needed cost cutting measures to achieve the selling price, we're mostly dictated by Google. Just take a look at their Transformer line of tablets for an example of the build quality, as well as higher price, they can achieve. And again, take forum complaints with a grain of salt. People with problems tend to seek advice (one of the main reasons for the forum) or complain (human nature), while those with no problems tend smile and stay silent. Doesn't matter if it's a defective Nexus 7, a lemon car, or a bad marriage, people generally vocalize in the same way. Yes, perhaps Nexus 7 defects are more common than with other high end tablets, but the percentage is still very, very small.

Good luck in Germany!

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
And the shipping cost? By the way, how much is that for the inital purchase (shipping to California, if I didn't mention that already). And how about a defect AFTER the 15 days? Let's say a screen lift or the charging problem happens, do I have to pay for shipping and repair? I'm not a clumpsy person and will also get the official case (wifi-only, which doesn't make a difference to me since I believe it just covers the SIM-slot, but I won't switch it till I'm in Germany. And I hope I'll be able to spray-paint it black with some purple lines, which I imagine a cool and unique case. Oh, and maybe install a weak magnet for auto-wake), but I have a one year old son, who likes phones and laptop in a very destructive way^^

Yeah, I know that people keep positive experiences for themselves but go nuts if ever something goes wrong. Except for some Apple Fans, since they would be to embarrased to admit that their oh-so-great device isn't much better than a Toshiba after all. No bashing intended, but those that I know are like that.

And about Asus... well, at least a couple years ago their laptops looked pretty ugly. And my friends laptops motherboard rendered his whole laptop useless, but I think the retailer exchanged it (for a good-looking Sony). Well, Samsung and Toshiba are my favorite manufacturers, so I never even look at other brands, can't make a personal opinion about them. But the Nexus 7 looks very good, and the dark UI of Android attracts me alot, different from the light-colored iOS (which I'm really sick of).

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
And the shipping cost? By the way, how much is that for the inital purchase (shipping to California, if I didn't mention that already). And how about a defect AFTER the 15 days? Let's say a screen lift or the charging problem happens, do I have to pay for shipping and repair? I'm not a clumpsy person and will also get the official case (wifi-only, which doesn't make a difference to me since I believe it just covers the SIM-slot, but I won't switch it till I'm in Germany. And I hope I'll be able to spray-paint it black with some purple lines, which I imagine a cool and unique case. Oh, and maybe install a weak magnet for auto-wake), but I have a one year old son, who likes phones and laptop in a very destructive way
The total price for the 32gb HSPA model is about $338. This includes about $14 for shipping and $25 for tax, based on a California shipping address. Just add to your shopping cart on Google Play and specify the shipping address, and it will give you an exact amount. Might as well press the buy button while your at it!

Regarding returning to Google for an exchange due to a defect, there is no shipping cost to you in either direction. Google emails you a prepaid UPS shipping label. You will have to use your own gas to trek to the UPS store, of course.

As for after the 15 days (though I've heard Google is flexible with this time limit, so I'd call them first, even if it's a couple months after purchase), you would then deal with Asus for a warranty repair on the original unit, unless it was so messed up that they sent you a new replacement. This is typical of any warranty service, where you'll have to pay for the shipping to them, and also be without your unit until it's returned to you. I've heard that they're relatively efficient with this process, taking a couple weeks or less to get your unit back to you. But search the forum, and I'm sure you'll find some horror stories.

After the one year warranty period is over, or if it's not defective until your son drops it in the toilet, it's all on your dime, obviously. If this were the case, you'd probably just be better off buying a new unit, which by that time would probably be $50 cheaper, and more powerful, than your original device.

An alternative is to buy an extended warranty or protection plan from a third party. Some credit cards automatically offer such a thing. Here's a recent thread with some opinions about this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2392490. However, since you'll be in Germany, I'm not sure how convenient these would be.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually now thinking about buying it from the German Store, and tell my parents to send it to me. If it's not too heavy that costs us a just one buck. Problem is, if that one is defective I have a problem, cause I don't think I could ship electronics in the US. Plus, it might take a month to arrive, and recently one letter she sent never arrived :| But at least it gives me a two-year warranty that I can claim over there. Unfortunately, it would cost me more to get the tablet (it's 299?, which is almost 400 USD -.-) and my parents wouldn't be so happy about that since we live on a very small budget... And I really don't want to wait over four weeks, just to see that it arrives after we came back to Germany. And over there I don't neccessarely need the 3G feature, even though I am planning on just getting a regular plain mobile phone with a prepaid card and use the Nexus for the "super phone" (haha just kidding, of course I mean smartphone)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but are you pulling our collective leg here? Maybe I'm just a sucker in writing my detailed responses to your questions and doubts. But if what you're writing here is serious, then...

I wish you luck with making a decision, as I don't think you'll need any luck with the Nexus 7 itself, assuming you ever make a decision to buy it. At this point, it really seems to me that you're over thinking this whole thing, especially for something in this price range. But to each his own. I think you've gotten some pretty solid advice here, and that advice basically comes down to GO BUY IT ALREADY! :banghead:

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I first have to wait for payday ;) and for somebody like me 300$ is not actually low-budget price. but since I already fell in love with it, and that I don't have to send in my device till I get a new one makes me feel better about it.

Oh, and it's not me who needs to be convinced. it's actually my wife who saw the price tag and was like "really??".

But I guess I'll just go for it. Even if something is wrong, I have around 80 days left, and I think those 30 to 40 devices I could get in that time should have at least one working one :D Let's just hope that Disneyland and that hospital bill won't empty out our bank account :|

Thanks for all the help ;)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and it's not me who needs to be convinced. it's actually my wife who saw the price tag and was like "really??".
Ah ha! The wife!! Now I understand the real problem of your decision making process. The bigger problem is coming, though. Once you get the N7, you'll probably never see it because she'll be the one using it all the time!

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah ha! The wife!! Now I understand the real problem of your decision making process. The bigger problem is coming, though. Once you get the N7, you'll probably never see it because she'll be the one using it all the time!

I think she's just scared of me keeping it from her, but since 4.2 supports multiple users it shouldn't be a big deal to share it. No need to sign out of apps and websites that we both use.

She's just not so fond of it being shipped. And of course, Walmart gives me a much longer time to return it, but since the 3G is only available online and there's nothing out there that compares. 3G is needed, but I don't like the Galaxy Tab. iPad Mini is way to expensive, while weaker. And I'm tired of iOS and Apple. The N7 is the only choice, since those three are the only real options.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
But since the 3G is only available online...
At least it was until today. Status on Google Play now states... oh, in stock. Geez, an hour ago it said sold out! So... don't put off the purchase too long, just in case.

Sorry about my earlier "irritated" post, but I was tired and grumpy. I shouldn't post after 1:00am. And yes, a $300 purchase is nothing to sneeze at for most people. But I think you've finally got it all figured out!

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If your wife thinks it's expensive then compare it to the iPad mini where the 32GB LTE option costs $559, I know LTE is a bit better than the Nexus 7's 3G, but the Nexus 7 has a better screen so it's still a reasonable comparison. If you put the price into that context, then maybe your wife will see the Nexus 7 really is a bargain.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If your wife thinks it's expensive then compare it to the iPad mini where the 32GB LTE option costs $559, I know LTE is a bit better than the Nexus 7's 3G, but the Nexus 7 has a better screen so it's still a reasonable comparison. If you put the price into that context, then maybe your wife will see the Nexus 7 really is a bargain.

Well, she considers it a toy, which is what it actually is. So it doesn't matter wether it's only expensive or super expensive. But it's a handy device for several tasks, where a phone is too small and a laptop too big. Since I don't have any high expectations into mobile phones (next one will be like my Sony Ericcson K700 again. Simple but good) or laptops (next one will probably be a used one from my sister). But for a tablet I have higher expectations, since it has to make up between those two devices. Plus, I'm interested in porting some of my own computer programs into Android Apps, and some just require a big screen.

Well, as soon as I have the money I'll get it and tell you guys how the quality of at least that one is.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Went to Staples today to get a last glimpse at the tablet. Just to check out the build quality, feeling in my hand, screen contrast and all that other stuff. Well, it seemed pretty solid, and very quick and responsive. It had at least JB 4.2 on it, and I didn't notice any lag. Also was showing it to some older man who was interested in it, so I actually got a little real-life demo, since I didn't know how to test it. Well, after all I just did what the Staples people should have done :D Tss, in that moment I really missed working in retail stores :|

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So I kept researching more on that screen lift issue and found out about some sort of sponge that is located behind the back cover. I keep reading that removing the back cover is quite easy, with only a couple screws to remove. Is that correct so far? Because with many devices the back cover has cables connected to them, in which case I will not open it.

But what's more important: what is this sponge for? So far nobody was able to say what it's good for, so I assume it's either a "left-over" or a cusion for use on a table. And also: Is it just "thrown in" or is it actually fixed and needs to be scratched of?

Oh, and do I have to remove any of those "Warranty void if seal is broken" stickers to open the case? In other words: will Google/ASUS know I opened the case?

I also read in this other thread here that the battery might not be plugged in all the way. Is that common? I know it's easy to fix, but what else could surprise me? Also, is that affiliated with problems where the Nexus 7 charges slowly even when using the stock wall charger?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Back cover is pretty easy to remove. Not sure of the purpose of the sponge you mention but my recollection is it's pretty solidly glued down. I don't recall seeing anyone saying they removed it. And I've also seen no surefire solutions to address screen lift either.

[edit]: They will only know you've opened it if you're careless like me. :p Or if you do something like remove the sponge (duh).