Exporting files from nexus 7: possible?

Guillaume Vassas

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

After having done plenty of research, I am finding myself in quite the conundrum. I am currently traveling by bicycle from Canada to Argentina (typing this from Mexico) and purchased a Nexus 7 just over a month ago, as it seemed like a good traveling companion.

I am taking lots and lots of pictures with a DSLR, and although I am able to import files from my sd cards using the media importer and an otg cable, I am running out of room very quickly. Now cloud storage would be a great option, but finding a connection that will allow me to use such services has been a challenge (and is very time consuming), particularly since we camp most of the time.

I am therefore desperately looking for a solution, as I have a buddy who can meet me somewhere down the way in a few weeks and can buy me what I need back in Canada in the next 4 days. I bought a seagate goflex and tried to use an ftp app, without success.

Will rooting and stickmount allow me to transfer files to a hard drive? Or am I out of luck and better just stock up on sd cards? Either way, I already have 14 gigs of data to upload to a cloud service since I formatted my cards once, but what next?

I'm aware there are devices for uploading directly from an sd card to a backup specialty drive, but they are very expensive ($250+)

Thanks

Guillaume Vassas

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. At this point rooting is going to be a challenge, and I'd have to sacrifice some of the photos and videos I've already taken. Any other non-root suggestions?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Stickmount needs root and it's the only way to write to usb otg. Have you considered something like a kingston widrive? No idea if you can write to these from the n7 or only read but it's worth looking into.

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
how about transfer via a ftp server app on the nexus to send your photos to another wifi enabled device?

That's what I would recommend, though not necessarily via ftp. WiFi Direct or some similar peer-to-peer or ad hoc network solution might be faster, using something like ES File Explorer or Airdroid. Or, next time you're near shot spot, you could get more Google Drive storage and dump it all on the cloud for a while.
Sounds like fun trip, though. Be careful of the criminals.

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac