16gb or 32gb Nexus 7?

M1grande

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
hey everyone, im kind of a noob at all the android stuff( current iOS user) but for Christmas i asked for a nexus 7. my parents said i could have 200 dollars to spend on it. i really want the 32gb for movies, emulators and music, is it worth the extra 50 dollars that i would have to pay for double the space or not? any help is appreciated

Last edited:

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
hey everyone, im kind of a noob at all the android stuff( current iOS user) but for Christmas i asked for a nexus 7. my parents said i could have 200 dollars to spend on it. i really want the 32gb for movies, emulators and music, is it worth the extra 50 dollars that i would have to pay for double the space or not? any help is appreciated

If money is a concern then you have no choice. In that case I'd buy an OTG Cable and the Nexus Media imported app. With these two pieces (about $4 in total) you can hook up a USB drive and watch all the movies you want.

If you have the extra money I'd say buy the 32GB.... that's what I did....

M1grande

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If money is a concern then you have no choice. In that case I'd buy an OTG Cable and the Nexus Media imported app. With these two pieces (about $4 in total) you can hook up a USB drive and watch all the movies you want.

If you have the extra money I'd say buy the 32GB.... that's what I did....

i was going to buy the OTG cable eventually, to use my Ps3 controller, but what exactly does the media importer do? also, with all the preinstalled apps, how much room did you have. for example my ipod touch 8gb had 6.5 gbs once it was completely setup with firmware and imessage and all the other apps

blackcaneaddict

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Definitely get the 32gb if you can. Always better to need and have available then need and have no options.

The last pass two tablets I've had were 16gb. One without a Sd card slot is down to its last 1gb of memory with only apps install. The other had an Sd card slot but my mistake was i didn't find out till after the purchase that your not able to run apps for the Sd card.

Maybe you'll be able to get away with 16gb with of apps on the device then using the other cable plus external storage device for movies, etc. With as many apps and games I've bought over the last 2years the 32gb Nexus I have still isn't enough to hold them all.
Sent from my LG-P999 using Android Central Forums

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would get the 16 gb out of principal. Google is making almost pure profit of that extra 16 gb of storage. Just read the isupply breakdown on the Wikipedia page.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Heaven forbid that a company makes any profit on things it sells.

Why exactly do you think that Google shouldn't be allowed to make some profit on the Nexus 7?

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Heaven forbid that a company makes any profit on things it sells.

Why exactly do you think that Google shouldn't be allowed to make some profit on the Nexus 7?

This pricing strategy combined with the absence of a sd slot is one of the many reasons why I don't buy Apple products. A good deal by definition is buying something as close to the cost of manufacturing as possible..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

M1grande

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Definitely get the 32gb if you can. Always better to need and have available then need and have no options.

The last pass two tablets I've had were 16gb. One without a Sd card slot is down to its last 1gb of memory with only apps install. The other had an Sd card slot but my mistake was i didn't find out till after the purchase that your not able to run apps for the Sd card.

Maybe you'll be able to get away with 16gb with of apps on the device then using the other cable plus external storage device for movies, etc. With as many apps and games I've bought over the last 2years the 32gb Nexus I have still isn't enough to hold them all.
Sent from my LG-P999 using Android Central Forums

yeah my ipod is all out of room and i intend to get a TON of roms to play on emus. i guess it would be worth the extra 50 for double the space. more than double actually

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought my microsd 32 gb card 2 years ago for $45 and considering moore's law it probably going for even less today. Granted it's likely a much slower form of storage, but 16 gb on the internal card is available for the apps and os on my note 2..

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It's perfectly fine to make a profit, but $150~? is way out of whack with the economics of 16 gb of storage. This pricing strategy combined with the absence of a sd slot is one of the many reasons why I don't buy Apple products. A good deal by definition is buying something as close to the cost of manufacturing as possible..

$150? :confused:

The 32GB costs $50 more than the 16GB. How did that turn into $150 for 16GB of storage?

ETA : "Apple products" ? :confused:

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh durh, I take it all back thought the site said $350 at a quick glance. Go for it. I just remember a friend buying a 64 gb iphone 5 for 200 dollars extra...

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
With all the preinstalled apps, how much room did you have. for example my ipod touch 8gb had 6.5 gbs once it was completely setup with firmware and imessage and all the other apps
I have a little over 300 apps, many of which are games that I rarely play. Most apps are pretty standard in size (1-10 MB), but some, especially games, are hundreds of megabytes. One, The Dark Knight Rises, that I'll probably never play and should delete, is almost 2.5GB! So altogether, including the Android system (I think a little more than 1gb), cache (quite variable), the apps, and all their respective data, I use about 8.6 gigabytes. For a more realistic evaluation, take away TDKR, and that makes only a little more than 6 gigabytes used.

This leaves about 5 (7.5gb without TDKR) gigabytes free on my 16gb model. Yes, 8.6 used + 5 available doesn't equal 16, but that's what you get after all the formatting and whatever takes place. Don't let that part worry you. It is what it is! Anyway, this should give you an idea of how much space you'll have available after you install a boatload of apps you rarely use.

i was going to buy the OTG cable eventually, to use my Ps3 controller, but what exactly does the media importer do?
Nexus Media Importer lets you attach a USB flash drive with a USB OTG cable, and stream and/or copy media (music, videos, photos, etc.) and documents (pdf, text files, etc.) to the N7, without rooting your device. It works well, but has some limitations. Only media and some document files are recognized; some files, like pdf's, must be copied to the N7 to view - you can't view them straight from the flash drive like you can with videos and music; and you can't copy files from the N7 to the flash drive - it's read only from the flash drive to the N7. If these limitations don't work for you, you'll need to root your N7 and install an app like StickMount.

M1grande

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a little over 300 apps, many of which are games that I rarely play. Most apps are pretty standard in size (1-10 MB), but some, especially games, are hundreds of megabytes. One, The Dark Knight Rises, that I'll probably never play and should delete, is almost 2.5GB! So altogether, including the Android system (I think a little more than 1gb), cache (quite variable), the apps, and all their respective data, I use about 8.6 gigabytes. For a more realistic evaluation, take away TDKR, and that makes only a little more than 6 gigabytes used.

This leaves about 5 (7.5gb without TDKR) gigabytes free on my 16gb model. Yes, 8.6 used + 5 available doesn't equal 16, but that's what you get after all the formatting and whatever takes place. Don't let that part worry you. It is what it is! Anyway, this should give you an idea of how much space you'll have available after you install a boatload of apps you rarely use.

Nexus Media Importer lets you attach a USB flash drive with a USB OTG cable, and stream and/or copy media (music, videos, photos, etc.) and documents (pdf, text files, etc.) to the N7, without rooting your device. It works well, but has some limitations. Only media and some document files are recognized; some files, like pdf's, must be copied to the N7 to view - you can't view them straight from the flash drive like you can with videos and music; and you can't copy files from the N7 to the flash drive - it's read only from the flash drive to the N7. If these limitations don't work for you, you'll need to root your N7 and install an app like StickMount.
Thanks alot man. ive seen you on other threads, and youre really helpful- im just a noob at all this lol

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
32GB, because you can never increase the internal space and you will always have more you want on it than you can carry with a 16GB version. I am looking to get a N7 32GB this weekend, so how much actual space do we get?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc