Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rares Tab
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Using my tablet... as a tablet?

Hey all!

After completing NaNoWriMo, I got myself a 32gb Nexus 7 (had a 32gb Touchpad with CM9... but sold it to help pay for the N7). So far, I'm loving it! Can't wait for the official dock...

Anyway, my question is this: can I use my N7 as a touch input device for my computer? I would like to load up Photoshop on my computer, and use the N7 as my input device. I know I can use universal remote, but is there anything that works with PS well?

Also, how's the android version of Photoshop?

Thank you for your help! I'm sure to have many more questions in the future.

Chad 'hbar98'

Default Re: Using my tablet... as a tablet?

Would be cool, but I doubt that any app could do that. Sure can they display your screen and send input back, but for PS you'd probably like to use features like preasure from the pen. Well, I doubt that a touchscreen supports that, unless it costs more than a Nexus 7 itself!

Don't let drawing apps fool you, they calculate pressure on how much of your finger is on the screen. The more pressure, the more your fingers skin is on it. Won't work with a Stylus pen, unless it has a wheel on it that regulates that, or something like that. I think some pens would probably support that, e.g. by calculating the pressure itself and send that info to the device, but that has to be supported by both, your tablet and the app.

Quote Originally Posted by kimikookskookis View Post
    Don't let drawing apps fool you, they calculate pressure on how much of your finger is on the screen. The more pressure, the more your fingers skin is on it.
    Thanks, I had no idea! I always thought my drawing apps were busted because they never had pressure sensitivity. Guess I need to draw with my fingers then :P

To the OP--this was the closest thing I could find: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...touchpad&hl=en not logged into my linked Google acct so idk if it works with the N7. Seems to have terrible reviews though, sorry! Also found this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GUuY2xpZW50Il0.

I think they recently made the Photoshop app compatible with the N7--you might as well just use your tablet, or invest in a low-end Wacom tablet. I bought one in HS like 7 years ago and I still occasionally use it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by kimikookskookis View Post
    Don't let drawing apps fool you, they calculate pressure on how much of your finger is on the screen. The more pressure, the more your fingers skin is on it. Won't work with a Stylus pen, unless it has a wheel on it that regulates that, or something like that. I think some pens would probably support that, e.g. by calculating the pressure itself and send that info to the device, but that has to be supported by both, your tablet and the app.
    Woah. Didn't know that! Thanks... though it does put my idea out... :-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post

I think they recently made the Photoshop app compatible with the N7--you might as well just use your tablet, or invest in a low-end Wacom tablet. I bought one in HS like 7 years ago and I still occasionally use it.
    Yeah... I will probably end up getting ps for my nexus 7... but a guy can dream.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Well, on the Nexus 7, (it is probably something you only have on jelly bena) if you go to settings==>developer options and select 'touch data' it will display some numbers up on the top of the screen, they show coordnates, contactv area, and also there is something up there that sais 'Prs'. That I think comes from pressure, and I tried it out, and it works i tried irt with a non-conductive material, and the valuye rises when I put more pressure. Also that value also appears on my ICS phone, and it is locked on value:1. So, maybe the N7 has pressure sensitivity.
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.