Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Default Rooted nexus for the dpi change... A few questions

Ok so ive been using (and loving) my nexus 7 ever since it came out my only issue with it is it that it uses the phone ui... So i stumbled across a way to change the dpi.... Long story short i was running 4.2 when i rooted the device originally and i guess because i was on 4.2 rom toolbox(and ever other dpi changer) wouldn't allow me to change the dpi... So i downgraded to 4.1.1 and ever since ive had no problems... Im rooted with my dpi set to 160...

My question today is... Can i now finally upgrade back to 4.2 with the dpi changed? And do you guys think google will ever get smart and put the tablet ui of youtube on the nexus 7? Thats really my main issue i dislike the phone ui youtube...i also like the look of the smaller icons.... I dont really like the fact that im running old software its been bugging me ever since i rooted the thing

Carrier
    AOKP

Default Re: Rooted nexus for the dpi change... A few questions

The dpi is set in the build.prop, I forget the exact line name but you should be able to find it if you look through the file, at /system/build.prop

It's possible the apps you're using to do it aren't properly updated. Just change the value in there, save it, and reboot. Also please be sure to make a backup before screwing around with the build.prop or any other system files.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

I know how to change the dpi but it only worked when i downgraded.... So are you saying j should be able to change the dpi when rooted kn 4.2 now? Also is there a way to change the dpi without rooting?

Carrier
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by j8lacy View Post
    I know how to change the dpi but it only worked when i downgraded.... So are you saying j should be able to change the dpi when rooted kn 4.2 now? Also is there a way to change the dpi without rooting?
    Yes you have to be rooted. Use a root-enabled file explorer/editor like Root Explorer to edit the line in the build.prop.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Well it doesn't matter now....I set everything back to normal and I unrooted it...it stinks that Google is now going to stick with the phone YouTube ui even on the 10 inch tablets...that was my only excuse to root in the first place