Need advice HSPA+ vs Hotspot

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got great deal on VZW GS3 16GB. Hated not getting 32GB but price couldn't pass up

Just got present from wife and kids. Buy the Nexus 7 tablet of my choice. Definitely doing 32GB. What about HSPA +? On VZW 4GB Family Share. I hate to go through phone Hotspot and blow battery, off both tablet and phone. I just don't know how much need I have for 3g as I travel around town and other places. Free hotspots are okay but certainly not secure for some things like checking out my banking and such.

Any comments please. By the way, part of the deal with the price on the GS3 was a $50 Google Play credit w
hich is already on my account and doesn't expire till 9/13.

Thanks for any help.

RxGadget

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nexus 7 3G. What questions do you have? It can only be used under AT&T or T-Mobile (not Verizon). It's no-contract (pay as you go), though AT&T will automatically renew you when you either expire the bandwidth or the time. T-Mobile does not do this. Data expires after 30 days.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
There's no harm in having the HSPA radio available, you don't have to sign up for service. Use the hotspot for the most part and if you find that's not acceptable, then sign up for service on the tablet. But if you don't have the radio available at all, you can't do that.

Just got great deal on VZW GS3 16GB. Hated not getting 32GB but price couldn't pass up

Just got present from wife and kids. Buy the Nexus 7 tablet of my choice. Definitely doing 32GB. What about HSPA +? On VZW 4GB Family Share. I hate to go through phone Hotspot and blow battery, off both tablet and phone. I just don't know how much need I have for 3g as I travel around town and other places. Free hotspots are okay but certainly not secure for some things like checking out my banking and such.

Any comments please. By the way, part of the deal with the price on the GS3 was a $50 Google Play credit w
hich is already on my account and doesn't expire till 9/13.

Thanks for any help.

RxGadget

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
There's no harm in having the HSPA radio available, you don't have to sign up for service. Use the hotspot for the most part and if you find that's not acceptable, then sign up for service on the tablet. But if you don't have the radio available at all, you can't do that.

Exactly what I am thinking. I forgot about pricing may a month at a time. Prices vary but at least when I know I am traveling it is the way to go.

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how much you'll use it when out. For the most part when I'm out I'm content with just using my phone, and the places I commonly take my Nexus 7 to have Wi-Fi. If you are worried about the hotspot on your phone eating up battery, you could get a couple of spares and an external charger, that'll be cheaper than paying extra for a 3G radio on the Nexus 7. That said, if you are going to use it a lot when out having 3G built in is more convenient.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey