Protect Me From The Dark Side

sojodave

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 32gb and I love it. I have a 18 year old daughter and I would like to get her a 7" tablet. I'm trying to decide on a Nexus 16gb or a Samsung Tab 2 7". The only reason I am considering the Samsung is ...

1. Rear camera
2. SD Card
3. Something different than what I have

I know that the Nexus 7 is superior and my daughter will be using it or web surfing and gaming. Should I stay true to the Google Nexus 7 empire or should I go to the dark side and get a Samsung Tab 2 7.0???

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
First I thought this is a "Nexus 7 or iPad Mini?" thread :D

Well, the Tab is cheaper. But I think the Nexus 7 will bring her more fun for a longer time, because the hardware is more up-to-date. For surfing they should both be good enough, since that is what tablets are mostly good for.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
First of all, it doesn't look like you need protecting. The Galaxy Tab is an equally capable offering. However it doesn't seem like you need the back camera all that much ( I could be wrong in relations to your use case ). Plus 32 gigs is a good amount already for a tablet imo. :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I would just stick to the Nexus 7. She'll be jealous of you if you get her a Samsung tablet. Get her the best.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think Nexus7 offers the most pure Android experience if you don't specifically need those Samsung hardware features.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Why not ask your daughter which she'd prefer?

^^^ This. A thousand times this. She's 18 and perfectly capable of articulating her preferences.

If it's to be a gift, either buy her a gift certificate for the amount of the higher-priced of the two and let her choose, or ask casual questions about how she'd use a tablet if she had one.

The N7 is going to stay up-to-date longer, but at the price that's not as important as it would be for a phone. Neither one is going to be a "bad" choice.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
The dark side would be a i-peed...:-$

But being that you're probably gonna be her I T guy, you may want to stick with what you know...

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Let me start with all the above had said is true. If you can get feedback from her on what she wants out of device at the bare minimum because let me tell you it varies person to person.

Second, I manage iOS devices at work (borrowed iPad and iPhones I use daily) first tablet was a modded Nook Color, second was a Nexus 7 (car accidently ran it over mutiple times), then the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and now I'm on to the Nexus 7 16GB.

1) Rear camera - Honestly if your daughter is 18 then she has a smartphone and probably Android. I use Google Drive to backup my SGS2 mobile photos to it then pull them down to my Nexus 7 for any editing or posting. THe SGT27 camera is OK but it isn't really a big deal. I find especially with how great cell cameras look, tablet cameras are cumbersome to use because of being so much bigger. Trust me it would be used a lot less, front one gets used a ton for talking over video chat.

2) SD Card - Honestly, can use the cloud to push and pull what you need. Definitely get her the 32GB version only because why not get that extra space for $50 more(actually been on sale a lot to less than $250 on the net). Galaxy tab doesn't allow saving apps to SD even though most people forget you can. It only lets you use the internal memory for apps and it took me a bit to figure out how to file some stuff away to the external card properly.

3) Something different - If you want to get her something different then I'd suggest looking at the Lenovo tablets with Tegra 3 A2xxxx models. Network manager has one he got because they are a vendor and he leaves the iPad here at the end of the night because of it. They are also 9 inches and around same price as 32GB Nexus 7.

Things to find out from your daughter:
1) Size - My kids mom was the original owner of the tab 2, someone gave it to her for free. She was used to a ereaders at 7" but really disliked a tablet at that size. She found the Transformer T101 for sub $250 new and with some extras, she hasn't looked back since and loves it even though it is older. The size and weight didn't matter because she has a 17 inch powerhouse laptop and didn't want to have to carry it around, this 10 inch fits in her purse no issue. Personally one of the top 3 reasons I love my Nexus 7 is because with my casual clothes, fits right in my back pants pocket.

2) Activities - What a person is going to do is going to make a lot of difference. Friend of mine does drawing and photo editing on his, so he has a 10 inch with a $30 stylus. Another friend has a Galaxy Note 2 and got rid of her tablet because she just wanted something for jotting notes, music, some podcasts now and again, and didn't see a need for smartphone and tablet. I read a lot of web content through Pocket and watch/listen to podcasts but do not load music on my tablet, use it for basic photo editing and social network browsing. Gaming, well it depends on the persons mood which tablet this fits but Nexus 7 works great though larger screen would be nice on a few.

3) Personal preference - Sometimes, you see something and it is just what you want.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

sojodave

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The excitement of something new has worn off and I am going to get her a Nexus 7. I would ask her, but I would rather surprise her for Christmas. If she doesn't like it, she can take it back. I think having a system I know and having a faster processor for gaming is more worth it than anything.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The excitement of something new has worn off and I am going to get her a Nexus 7. I would ask her, but I would rather surprise her for Christmas. If she doesn't like it, she can take it back. I think having a system I know and having a faster processor for gaming is more worth it than anything.

Wait until about a week before Christmas if you can, so you're inside the return/exchange window for a week after Christmas... :)

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Fair enough. I think that is a fine approach. Who knows, she might want an iPad LOL.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

rcarnes911

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a tab 2 7in and a nexus 7 i would only recommend it over the nexus if you are planning on using it for a universal remote it is great for that but for normal use get her a nexus, and the camera on the galaxy tab is horrible I think I took 2 pictures with it when I got it and never used it again it was so bad

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtnbikerva1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nexus 7, but I am probably going to return and buy a iPad mini. What good is a WiFi only product that will NOT connect to WiFi?
My N7 will NOT connect to some wifi and it seems to not play podcast. I downloaded Podkicker to no avail.
The N7 is not a piece of crap like the Fire HD but...it is not nearly as stable , no iTunes(I listen and watch a LOT of podcast about tech, automotive, medical, motorcycle, financial, comedy, news, FoxBusiness, Fox news...) the iPad is just less hassel and easier to use. If you do not want to be a repair person go to the iPad. If you want to continue to learn another OS and constantly update and add apps so that it will work go with the N7.
Most automobile manufactures and tech is now built to be very easy just plug and play/use with Apple.
In medicine/healthcare there are more apps and podcast for the Apple OS and iOS.
Also the speakers and music/sound is better on the iPad and i think the DAC is better on the iPad.
The N7 is nice, in my opinion because if nothing else it gives Apple a little competition! I think the Android/N7 will continue to improve and may at some point really give the iPad tough competition.
The other big thing is Apple has Stores you may go to for help and Apple Care with people that live here in the USA and speak our language!!!!
The Apple people also know the hardware and software, and if you get someone that does not know your particular issue they get you someone that does!
Where are the Android stores? There are non that I know of, that have experts that will help like at the Apple stores.
These reasons are why I bought my blind brother the iPhone and my parents the iMac. I do not want to have to always be fixing software and hardware problems like I would with Microsoft and other OS.
Alright Apple hating lunatics blast away and tell me how wrong I am.

Last edited:

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
You realize that you are the very definition of a troll don't you. If you put half the time into your posting about your problem as you have with your trolling, you may have located your issue. Which being an issue that almost no one is having, means that it is probably a self inflected issue at that....

8:02am 12/30/12
I have tried: forgetting, and turning it off
My N7 connects to some but not all wifi
Thank you for your help
8:07am 12/30/12
Podkicker will not work on my Nexus 7
8:39am 12/30/12
I have the Nexus 7 now, but may return it.
In my opinion you need to decide what type of person you are.
Do like time proven, less to no hassle and well thought out user friendliness and stability?
Or do you enjoy constantly changing adding, deleting and maintaining your software and hardware?
Some people find a joy in learning a new operating system and its hardware in detail.
Some people just want to be able to do most everything with NO hassle.
iTunes and all the podcast are a BIG plus to me.
Itunes is a big plus that has no competition at this point in my opinion.
If you work in medicine/healthcare the ipad is the clear way to go because of all the apps and podcast.
I also had the K Fire HD... what a pile of crap!
I also think the colors/display looks better on the iPads. I compared Netflix side by side.
The Nexus 7 is just ok in my opinion but I bet it/the OS will get better.
Most everything like automobiles, speakers, TVs, etc. are made with the Apple products in mind, so that you can use the iPhone/iPad to control and interact.
9:11am 12/30/12
I have the Nexus 7, but I am probably going to return and buy a iPad mini. What good is a WiFi only product that will NOT connect to WiFi?
My N7 will NOT connect to some wifi and it seems to not play podcast. I downloaded Podkicker to no avail.
The N7 is not a piece of crap like the Fire HD but...it is not nearly as stable , no iTunes(I listen and watch a LOT of podcast about tech, automotive, medical, motorcycle, financial, comedy, news, FoxBusiness, Fox news...) the iPad is just less hassel and easier to use. If you do not want to be a repair person go to the iPad. If you want to continue to learn another OS and constantly update and add apps so that it will work go with the N7.
Most automobile manufactures and tech is now built to be very easy just plug and play/use with Apple.
In medicine/healthcare there are more apps and podcast for the Apple OS and iOS.
Also the speakers and music/sound is better on the iPad and i think the DAC is better on the iPad.
The N7 is nice, in my opinion because if nothing else it gives Apple a little competition! I think the Android/N7 will continue to improve and may at some point really give the iPad tough competition.
The other big thing is Apple has Stores you may go to for help and Apple Care with people that live here in the USA and speak our language!!!!
The Apple people also know the hardware and software, and if you get someone that does not know your particular issue they get you someone that does!
Where are the Android stores? There are non that I know of, that have experts that will help like at the Apple stores.
These reasons are why I bought my blind brother the iPhone and my parents the iMac. I do not want to have to always be fixing software and hardware problems like I would with Microsoft and other OS.
Alright Apple hating lunatics blast away and tell me how wrong I am.

mtnbikerva1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Did you even read my post?
I was not bashing the N7.
If you do not like to read facts that is your problem.
I am not the only person that has a Nexus 7 that will not connect to different WiFi. May connect to some but not others at all. If you looked on the net instead of being a blind fan boy you may have the information, you may ignore it though as I bet you already have.
Have read a lot of post pertaining to the lack of WiFi connectivity but no cure that I have found for it.
I can not turn other peoples WiFi routers on and off so that is not a viable fix for most people.
You have posted NO helpful information here to anybody!

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you even read my post?
I was not bashing the N7.
If you do not like to read facts that is your problem.
I am not the only person that has a Nexus 7 that will not connect to different WiFi. May connect to some but not others at all. If you looked on the net instead of being a blind fan boy you may have the information, you may ignore it though as I bet you already have.
Have read a lot of post pertaining to the lack of WiFi connectivity but no cure that I have found for it.
I can not turn other peoples WiFi routers on and off so that is not a viable fix for most people.
You have posted NO helpful information here to anybody!

Did you?..... Read them I mean....:confused: