How to check a used nexus 7?

Godnessy

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody,
i just bought a 2nd hand Google nexus 7 and i would like to know what i should look for to make sure it works correctly
is there any special checkups i should perform to know that all is well with the device?
its a x-mas gift and i have time until tomorrow to return it if something is wrong with it...
thank you for the info!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi everybody,
i just bought a 2nd hand Google nexus 7 and i would like to know what i should look for to make sure it works correctly
is there any special checkups i should perform to know that all is well with the device?
its a x-mas gift and i have time until tomorrow to return it if something is wrong with it...
thank you for the info!
Is it charging properly? Is it connecting to wifi? When you connect it to the computer does it show up as a device and can you view internal storage?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Godnessy

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
it does charge, and connect to wifi, i didnt have the chance to check the computer connection yet
anything else i should look out for? i checked for scratches and stuff like that but it seems to be free of those.
thank you

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
it does charge, and connect to wifi, i didnt have the chance to check the computer connection yet
anything else i should look out for? i checked for scratches and stuff like that but it seems to be free of those.
thank you

If you received a faulty device, you may want to stop your battery from reaching the 5% warning. I never had a problem with this until last week, and I've had this tablet since August. Also, check auto-brightness. Drag the top-right side of the screen, tap 'brightness', then tap 'auto'.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hardware checks:
* Dead pixels - Install an app like Screen Test to better detect any dead pixels. One or two in out of the way places might be acceptable depending on your tolerance level. But no dead pixels, which is the norm, is what you want.
* Speaker quality - Play some audio content, preferably something with a little bass to it, to determine if the speaker is bad or blown. If you hear distortion at higher volume levels, there is a problem. Don't expect a magnificent listening experience even if the speakers are okay.
* Headphone jack - Plug in headphones (push very firmly to seat properly) to make sure everything is normal.
* Screen lift - The infamous screen lift issue is an easy check. If the screen on the left side of the Nexus 7 is protruding above the bezel, you have screen lift. However, there are various levels of this problem, some very bad and some rather minor and acceptable. If you put pressure on the left side of the screen, and with relative ease you can feel the screen being pushed down a fair amount, and also feel and hear a creaky effect, then this is rather bothersome screen lift. Depending on your tolerance level, it might be worth a return.
* Charging system - Make sure the unit charges properly. Inspect the included wall charger and USB cable for any obvious defects.
* Camera - Test the camera by downloading Camera Launcher for Nexus 7. If you see yourself, it works.
* WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS - These will all likely work just fine, so testing them isn't too important. You've already verified WiFi, which is the most important of these, so you could try to connect Bluetooth with a headset or your car. Testing NFC is more of a challenge, I'd think. GPS should be a relatively easy check, but there are free GPS testing apps available if needed. Again, it's unlikely there would be a problem with any of these.
* Miscellaneous - It's also unlikely there would be a problem with the gyroscope, accelerometer, microphones, magnetic field detection, and light sensor. But there's a simple, free app called AndroSensor that will quickly show you if these items are doing something. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're doing them right, but at least you'll know they're active.

Software checks:
After you've done all your tests, which would require that you actually initialize the Nexus 7 and register it to your Google account (to install the testing apps and play audio), there's really not much else to check in terms of software. If you were able to successfully use the N7, then it works!

At this point, whether you decide to return the device or keep it to give as a gift, you'll want to do a Factory Data Reset: Settings > Backup & Reset > Factory Data Reset. This will wipe out all data, downloaded apps, settings and accounts (yours and perhaps the previous owner, if they didn't do a reset), and return the N7 to factory settings with no personal data, just as it was when it came out of the box the first time.

If you gift it, give it a full charge before wrapping it so that the recipient can use it right away without having to be plugged in. Also, hopefully the seller provided a copy of the original purchase receipt from when the N7 was purchased new. This might be helpful if you need to obtain warranty service from Asus. The warranty would only be good for the stated time period beginning from the date of original purchase. I'm sure you could get service without the receipt, but having it might make it easier, and would also verify the warranty starting date.

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
AndroSensor

+1,000 for AndroSensor. It tests all of the sensors and makes sure they are reading data, and it makes your Nexus 7 look like a tricorder for extra cool points (though you have to acquire the spinny salt shaker separately). One of the best free apps ever.

Tervz

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
There's a free ap in the Play Store called Screen Test to give you comfort about pixels and colors. Also run your finger around the silver edge to feel that the screen does not rise over it. Test the earphone jack to be sure it works. It seems that the vast majority are perfectly fine. Maybe someone wanted to trade up to a 32g model. Hope you are getting a good price. You'll love it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
+1,000 for AndroSensor. It tests all of the sensors and makes sure they are reading data, and it makes your Nexus 7 look like a tricorder for extra cool points (though you have to acquire the spinny salt shaker separately). One of the best free apps ever.

You're right! I forgot to mention the cool extra points/tricorder thing. This is the best reason to get this app.

But I hear that AndroSensor 1.62% is coming out soon, and it will also grow hair on your Nexus 7. Just don't let your wife or girlfriend touch it. (Unless you saw the annoying AndroGel commercial on TV recently, just ignore the previous lame joke.)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
"Commercial on TV"? What is this "Commercial on TV" of which you speak? Haven't seen one of those in a very long time.
Watch a video on YouTube and you'll find out. Or just go to the movie theater, plunk down $12, and, in addition to the 20 minutes of trailers, you'll be given the high privilege of watching quite a few well made commercials prior to the mediocre movie starting.

Godnessy

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Fantastic thank you so much everybody for the amazing help ill perform all these checks and hopefully the device will be ok!
i already decided to keep it for a gift (for my wife so ill be enjoying it aswell ;-) )
but its always good to know that you have a good working device!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles