Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Default Re: Nexus 7 won't turn on no matter what I do

Ah. The Nexus 7 is made by Asus.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Thorpe View Post
    Hey everyone,

I used this method below and it worked! I had all the same issues-fuzzy screen, wont turn on, ect..

Worth a try..

With the introduction of Android 4.2 came a number of little obnoxious bugs that we are slowly figuring out fixes for. One of those that has plagued many (according to a variety of forum posts), is a charging issue with the Nexus 7. As users leave their tablet idle for an extended period of time or use it for hours until the battery runs completely dry, the device is having a hell of a time charging back up again or even turning on.

In fact, if you let your Nexus 7 die completely, you may run into a screen flashing or pixel party experience once plugged into a charger that wont bring you joy. The device, at least mine and in others cases, wont turn on with any combination of button pressing. Well, there is one combo along with a charger that worked for me, getting my N7 back on the charging path of pleasure.

To charge a dead Nexus 7:

1. Plug-in your dead N7 to a wall charger. (Jump immediately to step 2.)
    2. Immediately after plugging it in, press Volume Down and Power at the same time.

*This should get you into the bootloader menu. You may have to try this with different chargers or test out the timing in order to get it to work.

3. Once in the bootloader menu, use Volume Down until you see Power Off Device.
    4. Choose that option with the Power button.
    5. Once your device is off, unplug the charger and then plug it back into the device.
    6. You should now see the battery meter (pictured above) with your device returning to life.

Hope that helps those of you with dead Nexus 7s. For the rest of you, I suggest not letting your N7 completely run out of juice. Should you see it drop to 10% or under, find yourself a charger.
    Worked perfectly for me. Thanks a bunch. I did NOT want to mess around with Google and their warranty.

I would have tried to send it direct to Asus. I've dealt with their warranty dept. before with a netbook. They sent me a new replacement because they couldn't do a 10-day turnaround on my PC. It was a narsty turquoise, but it had a faster processor and it's still working. My wife has it now.

A low tech fix for the wont turn on is never turn it off
    Just plug it in whenever you are not using it.
    This hypervigilance is stupid but will keep you from saying 3 novenas before your tablet will reboot again,
    or repeating about a zillion times I will not buy another google tablet =ever.
    ( by the way holding the volume up button and the on button at the same time seems to help
    but only after about 40 seconds)
    I would not recommend this tablet but for now I am dealing with it

I was ready to return mine (or throw it out the window) when I came upon the tip to check the battery connection. i did and now it charges and works like a charm. Thanks!

fair play this was so right just took the back off and it was exactly what was wrong thank u very much u have just made a 12 yr old smile again
    how bad are these things made the company should be ashamed !

Quote Originally Posted by liarni View Post
    fair play this was so right just took the back off and it was exactly what was wrong thank u very much u have just made a 12 yr old smile again
    how bad are these things made the company should be ashamed !
    Just one of the drawbacks of having a battery that can be replaced without a soldering iron (ipads). Also acts as a break away in case of drop, which I suspect is the case here.....

Starting to happen here...delayed start

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Red face Re: Nexus 7 won't turn on no matter what I do

Info provided worked! Thanks sooo much! I was really starting to go into panic mode and dreaded the warranty process.

I got my nexus 7 about 3 weeks ago and already it is not working since Saturday
    I am really fed up
    and it seems to be the same as all the others on here not charging or turning on
    Now i want to get a
    new one and if it happens again I will give up and hope i get a refund and get an Ipad
    but my son has my receipt in London as he bought it
    Will Google listen to me without my receipt or can he scan it and send to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Stella Breathnach View Post
    I got my nexus 7 about 3 weeks ago and already it is not working since Saturday
    I am really fed up
    and it seems to be the same as all the others on here not charging or turning on
    Now i want to get a
    new one and if it happens again I will give up and hope i get a refund and get an Ipad
    but my son has my receipt in London as he bought it
    Will Google listen to me without my receipt or can he scan it and send to them?
    Or you could just take the back off and fix it. I have a iPad Mini as well and like the N7 much more. Cant stand not having a back button is one of the big gripes.

This right here saved my bacon. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by hiero View Post
    just an fyi for anyone who's having these kinds of issues, wiredfellow in this thread suggested taking a look under the back cover at the battery connection.
    I did this on mine and found that the battery compartment is just a touch bigger than the battery and any sudden jolt to one side could potentially pull the connector out slightly (you can see the extra space in the picture I took below, highlighted red). I put some sugru in the extra space to prevent the battery from moving about and haven't had any issues thus far. (the back cover comes right off just using your nails all the way around, or a spudger of course)

xterror, I bet that's what happened to yours, everyone else, go check!

Yeah, the first part of this worked, but now I'm back at same stage -- the charging pic goes away and doesn't look like anything happens. I can see backlit light when I hold power and volume buttons trying alternate turn on. If anyone reads this, can you respond to email as I don't do forums well and don't do facebook, etc.

After the update to 4.2.1 I have experienced an odd charging issue with my 8gb n7. I left it on standby & the battery went flat, when I plugged in the charger, instead of the battery meter appearing the unit powered up, without me pressing the power button & attempted to boot, however there was evidently not enough power to completely boot & it shut down immediately then attempted to boot up again, once again without success. It appeared to be stuck in this cycle & despite many futile attempts to resolve the situation, it just carried on, powering up, completely discharging before fully booting up, powering down, then automatically powering up again... Very frustrating! However, with some luck I hit upon a simple solution with the aid of my case from eBay which has the magnet to switch the screen on/off, I simply placed the unit in the case & closed the lid, then plugged the charger in, left it for a minute & when I opened it again, much to my relief, there was the good old charging meter, working like normal! Not sure if others have had this perpetually discharging issue, but if u have & u have a magnetic switched case, this would seem to be a quick simple fix.

Thumbs up Re: Nexus 7 won't turn on no matter what I do

thanks man that really helped i was trying to put my nexus in pocket thats inside my jacket but it fell threw i managed to stop it just enough before it hit the floor so it didnt crack the screen but it wouldent tern on i was worryed i would haft to take it to best buy to see if they could fix it but i saw your post an tryed it terned right back on so thanks

hi everyone! i'm desperate here.i have all those issues described here already and i tried every solution that u guys suggested but it's not working still.i dropped it once and the screen was not even broken and it was not that high either but since that day it started to turn on and off whenever it wants to but 3 weeks later,it shut down completely,it turn bck on but all i cn see is a black screen with some little lines of all colors on it.the worst is that the warranty period was done a long time ago so i cn't replace it.i'm gettin crazy over here.u guys don't hve any other solutions that i could try? plseeeee help.....

I tried everything power plus volume up and down numerous times with no luck. Took the back off and checked battery connections they were ok. Finally i unplugged the battery and then plugged it back in and it worked. Try it hope it works for you.

This method worked for me. I did have to hold the power & volume down for about 30 seconds. BTW the battery was only down by 50% when it was put on the charger last night. This morning it would not turn on. For me it doesn't seem to be about the battery getting to low, more about it being idle while on the charger.

Thanks for your help

This worked for me -thanks for posting!!!

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

My tablet fell from maybe a foot on to the carpet and wouldn't turn back on. Tried everything from holding power button and volume to just volume. Tried different chargers and nothing. Eventually got brave pulled cover off disconnected battery and reconnected and it worked. Hasn't happened again since so guess battery came loose for me. My 2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Excellent! thats exactly what was wrong with mine, I was getting a flickering screen every time i tried to charge it. it not a hard fix to carry out. Thanks!

hi!
    the problem is that tablets are super easy to get virused so you must get a software to protect it. It is now practiccly worthless so you should bring it back to where ever you got it. if they didnt tell you of the software you are allowed to do so. stick with shops like PC world and such as they would have the software on sale. the same thing happenend to me but i got a refund and a new tablet.

Try pressing and holding the power button till it comes on it takes a good 13 seconds

I had my N7 for less than a month and ended up sending it to Asus for repair. They have had it nearly a month now and I still don't have it. Wished I took it back to Sams Club instead. They told me yesterday they are waiting for a part. Couldn't tell what part and how much longer it would be. I asked them to send me a new one and they said the only way they send new ones if it is not repairable. Not too happy with the service I am getting. Will the problem re-occur in the future?

This has happened to me twice. Both times it was completely charged. Once it had been shut down, and the other as far as I know it had not been shut down. It just wouldn't come on when pressing the power button for the usual length of time, nor would it show the charging status screen when connected to the charger. But in both cases pressing and holding the power button for a seemingly long time did wake it up and it powered up normally after that. I didn't time it the first time, but the second time I started counting "one thousand, two thousand ..." and it came on as I said thirteen, thereby confirming Meggiedoodle's statement.

Exclamation Re: Nexus 7 won't turn on no matter what I do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast