Invisible files when plugged to PC

Will Valentino

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I have a problem with my N7, about 2 weeks ago all my newly added files stopped showing on my PC when I plug the tablet in.
New images and documents such as doc docx etc. are NOT VISIBLE when viewed thru my computer. I know I can use a number of programs to transfer but if I can copy and paste instead of uploading and downloading a file I would rather have the easier way out.

Why is this happening, it didn't use to be like this?

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Have you used a file search function in a capable file manager app ? Worth a try, anyway. What may have happened is that 4.2 introduced a new file-system structure allowing multiple users. So the files could be there, but in another "user's" set of folders. Searching thru all subfolders from the root may show the files, just not where you are looking.

Some examples of decent file manager apps would be X-explore File Manager (has dual pane display), Astro File Manager, ES File Explorer, File Expert, etc.

Here are a couple linked to try if you need them:

X-explore File Manager https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s.Xplore&feature=search_result&token=whLxItka..
Astro File Manager https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...go.astro&feature=search_result&token=mfNRTlSD..
ES File Explorer https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...5lc3Ryb25ncy5hbmRyb2lkLnBvcCJd&token=n1xKgxnz

Will Valentino

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
OK let me step by step that for you:

I have a file lets call it PHOTO007 which I would like to directly copy it on my PC via the USB cable

1. Plug in the cable and wait for the Nexus 7 icon to show up in My Computer under Portable Devices.
2. I enter the path that the file was stored into MyComputer\Nexus 7\Internal storage\Pictures
At this point I notice all the rest of the files are there (things saved or copied in the past) but the new pictures are not there
3. Searching the whole Nexus 7 device
Non of the files I search for appear they are not hidden since "show hidden files" does change anything.

So where are they and why can't I see them? They are on my Nexus 7 but when plugged in the PC they just disappear.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
That's a head scratcher alright...
Could they not actually be written / committed to the magnetic media OR be incorporated into some application's internal database ? Some apps store files in a 'container' rather than individually.

My suggestion is to try the process interactively.
1) generate one file using whatever the app or transfer process it is that is failing to store files.
if using a transfer process on the pc, make sure to click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray. This forces a write to the device of any remaining files held in cache storage on the pc.
2) check for the file using the N7 file manager
3) reconnect to PC and check for the file using Windows Explorer.

If the file is present, no problem - if the file is not present, big problem and you will need to check the process/application to ensure that you get it functioning properly
Make sure to try the file generation/storage process with other apps/processes to make sure there isn't a general file handling issue (unlikely- since the N7 would not be working at all) - just copy a file into another directory or something.
All I can think of.

Quinnaay

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This is happening to me too and mines never been rooted only used a handful of times and is 2 weeks old almost, what the.. do i do. When i try copy stuff in there it wont let me either the first time i ever plugged the device in it showed me a few folders then i put a few pictures in and now i want to add some music theres no folders or ability to drag them in.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
My only other suggestions would be to try another computer and someone in another thread was able to see 'missing 'xfers when rebooting the N7 after the transfer was complete.

What with all the viruses these days and so many versions of MBT and other I/O required for various USB connections, this gets a little complicated.

You can find out more information here at Microsoft for various versions of Windows:

MTB ---> Search The Knowledge Base
USB ---> Search The Knowledge Base

Last edited:

Chris 121

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Just signed up now after having the same problem, found a way to fix it. when you plug it into your computer and that USB sign pops up on the top left of your tablets screen to show you that you are connected. if you press it, it takes you to settings where you can choose between Media Device(MTP) or Camera(PTP) Choose media device at first it acted as if it disconnected me from the computer then i waited a bit and a new folder popped up and all my files are there now.
Using the galaxy tab so not sure if it would work with others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez