Screen shot file format

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 saves screenshots in the .png format. Is there anyway to choose another format? I'd like to save photo images as jpegs. I know how to convert a .png image to .jpg by changing the extension, or open it in an image editing program and "Save as" a .jpg. I've tried it but there seems to be a loss in image quality.

Thank you.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 saves screenshots in the .png format. Is there anyway to choose another format? I'd like to save photo images as jpegs. I know how to convert a .png image to .jpg by changing the extension, or open it in an image editing program and "Save as" a .jpg. I've tried it but there seems to be a loss in image quality.

Thank you.

Feel free to give these "Freeware" simple ones a try. One is bound to do the job you need. There are many more, like Photoshop or even Paint or PaintNet as well that have much more capability.

Best Free Digital Image Viewer

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Feel free to give these "Freeware" simple ones a try. One is bound to do the job you need. There are many more, like Photoshop or even Paint or PaintNet as well that have much more capability.

Thank you for the suggestions. I do use Photoshop CS and have several of the freeware programs you mention.

I don't think I framed my question well, so let me give it another try.

I'm talking about the native format of the N7 screenshots, which is .png. PNG, like GIF, is great for line art and text; JPEG is better for capturing the subtle gradations found in photographs.

I was just wondering if I had the option of saving an image to a .jpg when taking a screenshot of a photo with the N7. Or is the .png format the only choice for screenshots?

I am trying to avoid having to convert a .png to a .jpg.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
PNG is lossless so the only loss in image quality will be based on your output settings when you convert. If the original screenshot was jpg instead, the degradation in image quality would have already happened.

Portable Network Graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[edit]: And in reference to your claim that png is like gif, while it is true it does handle line type art better than jpg, it also handles photographic content just as well as jpg but since it is lossless, the filesize will be bigger. PNG is really a hybrid format, built to handle what you previously would have needed both gif and jpg for.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
And in reference to your claim that png is like gif, while it is true it does handle line type art better than jpg, it also handles photographic content just as well as jpg but since it is lossless, the filesize will be bigger.

If I had a choice between saving a photograph in jpg or png, I'd still choose jpg. But since I don't, that's okay. :)

Comparison to JPEG

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Dont think native screen shot feature can take screenshots in jpg but you might do it with apps in market but would need root.

not sure if you would still need root for nexus and that depends on google and the developer.

if google has exposed screenshot feature to sdk and developer has to implement it. but i think they would expose screenshot because of the security

Jprozzo0788

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Simplest way... just rename the file.png to file.jpg !!!
That's it!
I know.... !!

Changing the format isn't as simple as renaming the file. "Png" and "jpeg" are types of files. They are assigned when the image is captured. Only a change in settings and re-shoot or a converter will do the job.