[Q] What do I need to buy to stream N7 to HDTV?

rebelx13

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Much to my chagrin, I realized that the N7 has no HDMI out of any sort.

Fine. There has to be a solution around it.

What do I need to buy (I guess some sort of box? eg. Roku, Apple TV (I really hope this isn't the answer), etc) so that the N7 can do the following:

1. Mirror output from the N7 to the TV, BUT
1a. The output on the HDTV must be in HD quality (so either 1080p or 720p)

2. If no mirror, then a straight output to the HDTV, with the touchscreen on the N7 active so in essence, I have one big N7 screen (exactly how a laptop can use it's trackpad when you shift the monitor from the laptop screen to the HDTV)
2a. The output would still need to be 1080p or 720p.

3. Sound would preferably be coming from the HDTV, but if not, I could deal with using headphones from the N7 (either wired 3.5mm or bluetooth).

Thanks in advance!

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
PS3, XBOX, ROKU HD, or any Google TV device will allow you to stream content from your Nexus 7 to your HDTV.

There is no way to wirelessly mirror at the moment. Google is screwing the pooch with the whole Miracast debacle.

This is one area I can unequivocally say that Apple is making Google look like amateurs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a Netgear NeoTV200 which works with the NeoTV app as a controller to use the router to wirelessly stream sites such as Netflix and Facebook to my HDMI enabled TV. This bottom of the line model does not allow mirroring of what is on the tablet to the TV. There are however higher priced Netgear models which claim to do so and if you go to Netgear NeoTV on the web you can probably find videos. So it is probably possible now but whether performance would be acceptable to you is another matter.

Addition: The mirroring works with WiDi available on Intel Windows laptops and thus would seem to be not yet available with other devices.Oh well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums and edited on my Blackberry Playbook

Last edited:

rebelx13

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
PS3, XBOX, ROKU HD, or any Google TV device will allow you to stream content from your Nexus 7 to your HDTV.

There is no way to wirelessly mirror at the moment. Google is screwing the pooch with the whole Miracast debacle.

This is one area I can unequivocally say that Apple is making Google look like amateurs.

I have a Netgear NeoTV200 which works with the NeoTV app as a controller to use the router to wirelessly stream sites such as Netflix and Facebook to my HDMI enabled TV. This bottom of the line model does not allow mirroring of what is on the tablet to the TV. There are however higher priced Netgear models which claim to do so and if you go to Netgear NeoTV on the web you can probably find videos. So it is probably possible now but whether performance would be acceptable to you is another matter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Well, that's terrible that's not natively supported. I was reading about the Google Qube that's allegedly coming out in January which might fix this issue, but I'm not too sure about that.

What about using an app like Twonky? It appears to let me transfer files wirelessly from my host computer to the nexus and then "beam" the files over to the TV from the nexus. Sounds promising, but I won't be able to test quality of 720/1080 streams because I don't have an N7 yet.

Unfortunately, another box is currently out of the question. I sold my consoles and I have a smart TV so buying a Roku, or Netgear equivalent, doesn't help as the TV itself has all the major commercial apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc). I'd just need it so that access to my files are much, much easier via the N7.
:/

CGleas85

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I just got something in the mail from att u-verse saying you can stream to the box with TWONKEY BEAM installed on android devices probably not HD quality but worth a shot. I'm sure FiOS and the other company's have a similar feature

rebelx13

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

I just got something in the mail from att u-verse saying you can stream to the box with TWONKEY BEAM installed on android devices probably not HD quality but worth a shot. I'm sure FiOS and the other company's have a similar feature

I got excited when you mentioned that an actual corp was promoting a product, but then I realized you might be right, and a free app might not do HD. Damnit.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's terrible that's not natively supported. I was reading about the Google Qube that's allegedly coming out in January which might fix this issue, but I'm not too sure about that.

What about using an app like Twonky? It appears to let me transfer files wirelessly from my host computer to the nexus and then "beam" the files over to the TV from the nexus. Sounds promising, but I won't be able to test quality of 720/1080 streams because I don't have an N7 yet.

Unfortunately, another box is currently out of the question. I sold my consoles and I have a smart TV so buying a Roku, or Netgear equivalent, doesn't help as the TV itself has all the major commercial apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc). I'd just need it so that access to my files are much, much easier via the N7.
:/

If you can make do with just DLNA sharing, then Bubble UPnP is free and will share media content like videos and music via the DLNA standard as long as you have a DLNA certified Blu-Ray or TV.
I've already tried it out and have been able to play music and videos from my N7 to my TV using my Samsung WiFi Blu Ray player.

Mirroring is not really going to happen at this point.

Eaton Scrapple

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
A chromebook will work. The latest cheapo from Acer has an HDMI jack which will run at 720p. Just beware it's no operating system...just a netbook with access to a browser! However it will play MP3s and MP4s off SD cards and such as well.