External Webcam on Nexus 7 via USB?

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
seems to me that you would likely need to root the N7 to receive input since USB I/O is masked by default.

Nexus Media Importer does not expose the USB I/O to other programs directly and only has a limited list of file types it will pass thru to apps external to it's I/O handling routines. ALL USB media (other than PC USB mounting) must pass thru NMI in a unrooted N7.

So, if you are willing to root the N7, it would be worth a try to see what you could get from the port and which apps could manipulate that stream.

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This is a very good question that I would like an answer to as well. If a OTG and the proper software lets you input and output to a SD card, I would assume you could use the OTG cable to send a signal from a webcam.

I don't think logitech will be rushing to make software drivers for the Nexus 7. However, some enterprising person my make an app that will.

So, far I haven't found one. But, I haven't lost hope.

pheonixisis

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to do something similar but with an iconia a200 and a canon powershot a1300 via USB. Do you know of any way to do this or source code i could learn from or even just point me in the right direction? My delve into stack overflow has not proven fruitful.

DrHenley

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
YES, I just connected to a GE webcam and took a photo on my Nexus 7.
It's a standard Android camera app, nothing special. I haven't been able to change any parameters yet. Every attempt to tweak the parameters has crashed the app.

You have to open camera(1)
camera(0) is the front facing camera

pheonixisis

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
mr_nobody, I am looking how to code something similar to that so that i can understand the USB host and USB Accessory relation.

DrHenley, I am currently able to connect to the external camera but i don't know where to go from there. Someone Suggested that i find the device interface specifications to narrow down the commands/ constants I am looking for.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey