Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default External Webcam on Nexus 7 via USB?

I wanted to know if it's possible to connect a computer webcam per USB-cable and use it on the Nexus 7.

Default Re: External Webcam on Nexus 7 via USB?

This sounds interesting, though it may not be possible since your webcam probably needs a certain software to run. You can buy an OTG Cable then, if necessary, buy Nexus Media Importer from Google Play.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I thought maybe the camera app would recognize it. Or some manufacturers offer apps to make them work (in my case Logitech)

seems to me that you would likely need to root the N7 to receive input since USB I/O is masked by default.

Nexus Media Importer does not expose the USB I/O to other programs directly and only has a limited list of file types it will pass thru to apps external to it's I/O handling routines. ALL USB media (other than PC USB mounting) must pass thru NMI in a unrooted N7.

So, if you are willing to root the N7, it would be worth a try to see what you could get from the port and which apps could manipulate that stream.

This is a very good question that I would like an answer to as well. If a OTG and the proper software lets you input and output to a SD card, I would assume you could use the OTG cable to send a signal from a webcam.

I don't think logitech will be rushing to make software drivers for the Nexus 7. However, some enterprising person my make an app that will.

So, far I haven't found one. But, I haven't lost hope.

You can also remotely control and mirror the views to all kinds of cameras with all kinds of apps that employ wireless and bluetooth connections if you don't want to root your N7

bluetooth: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emlnLmRzbHIiXQ..

wireless: https://play.google.com/store/search...monitor&c=apps

I am looking to do something similar but with an iconia a200 and a canon powershot a1300 via USB. Do you know of any way to do this or source code i could learn from or even just point me in the right direction? My delve into stack overflow has not proven fruitful.

Quote Originally Posted by pheonixisis View Post
    I am looking to do something similar but with an iconia a200 and a canon powershot a1300 via USB. Do you know of any way to do this or source code i could learn from or even just point me in the right direction? My delve into stack overflow has not proven fruitful.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5hY3Rpdml0eSJd

thanks! do you also know of anyway to transfer what the camera is seeing?

Are you looking for something like this? I'm not aware of something similar for point and shoots.

DSLR Controller :: Home

YES, I just connected to a GE webcam and took a photo on my Nexus 7.
    It's a standard Android camera app, nothing special. I haven't been able to change any parameters yet. Every attempt to tweak the parameters has crashed the app.

You have to open camera(1)
    camera(0) is the front facing camera

mr_nobody, I am looking how to code something similar to that so that i can understand the USB host and USB Accessory relation.

DrHenley, I am currently able to connect to the external camera but i don't know where to go from there. Someone Suggested that i find the device interface specifications to narrow down the commands/ constants I am looking for.

hi guys, I connected a Logitech(old webcam v-uap9). the USB host controller app shows this:
    Connected USB devices
    2-1 928:046d
    Camera

Is there a way to access this camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Silverwings View Post
    hi guys, I connected a Logitech(old webcam v-uap9). the USB host controller app shows this:
    Connected USB devices
    2-1 928:046d
    Camera

Is there a way to access this camera?
    yes, but as usual, nothing is easy passing stuff thru the microUSB - read on MacDuff:

[Q] OTG USB webcam? - xda-developers

Quote Originally Posted by kimikookskookis View Post
    I wanted to know if it's possible to connect a computer webcam per USB-cable and use it on the Nexus 7.
    Try the App "USB camera as rearview camera" (15min for free). You're wellcome to let us (the developer) know, if it works.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...VzYi5jYW0iXQ..