Security software advice - what to do when Nexus get's stolen or lost

mavdb

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I take my Nexus 7 basically everywhere, with a lot of personal and work related information on it.
Is there software that you can recommend, to lock your tablet when it gets lost or stolen? (no sim card/3g)
thanks

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Lookout Mobile Security will locate your device for free using the GPS. If you pay for the premium option you can wipe the data remotely. You can also use their plan B option and pay for the premium option in the event that the device is lost or stolen.

Cerberus is the best, but it is not free.

sp0tted

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been a long time user of Seek Droid. I can't tell you how well it does or doesn't perform.

I've never had my phone lost or stolen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I take my Nexus 7 basically everywhere, with a lot of personal and work related information on it.
Is there software that you can recommend, to lock your tablet when it gets lost or stolen? (no sim card/3g)
thanks

The software is already built-in.

1. Set your device up again, choosing "encrypt my personal data" this time.
2. Set a PIN up as your lockscreen, make it about 6-8 digits, and set the device to "lock immediately on sleep" so you need to present the PIN every time you power off the screen.
3. Install Lookout, because it'll allow you to start a search for the device and locate it every time it comes in range of a WiFi signal if it's lost or stolen (chances are you'll never see it again, but the IMPORTANT part is that your data is safely encrypted, and Lookout is free).
4. If your device is lost or stolen, change your Google password, revoke the device's password, and re-scramble your second authentication factor (you ARE using two-factor authentication, right)?

You can also install the paid version of Lookout with remote-alarm and remote-wipe so its first exposure to a WiFi signal will turn the device into a shrieking annoying nuisance with no data on it reporting its location continuously. You probably won't get it back, but at least the thief will probably smash it to little bits and think twice about stealing a Nexus 7 again.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Settings---> Security---> Owner info---> Type in your cellphone number, just in case a generous person finds your tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
These devices are so cheap that recovering the hardware is almost a moot point. Encrypt the device, choose a strong PIN/password/pass phrase, and worry not. The crypto built into Android is pretty solid, from a design and implementation standpoint.

mavdb

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I installed Cerberus, one more question: do I need to install it on the other accounts on my tablet as well to protect it?
What if someone tries to login to one of the other accounts, will those automatically be protected as well or not?

nexus10lost

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have lost my nexus 10. I did not have any tracking apps installed and I wasn't the one who set it up so I'm not sure if the encrypt data was pressed. It did not have a password on if that helps just slide to unlock. Any ideas on how I may be able to get it back?

Ribs85

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I have lost my nexus 10. I did not have any tracking apps installed and I wasn't the one who set it up so I'm not sure if the encrypt data was pressed. It did not have a password on if that helps just slide to unlock. Any ideas on how I may be able to get it back?

If your tablet is still on, working, and not factory reset, you have a small chance with plan b:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/details?id=com.planbnew&token=kLcOq4K0
Install this via the play store on your pc. The one star reviews are mostly from idiots that don't realise their phones have been wiped, and therefore the app never installed.

And I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but consider these things before it's lost next time...

Good luck!

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately you're pretty much out of luck. Change all your passwords affiliated with the Nexus 10. Next time put a pin/password on your device. Install SOME sort of tracking/anti-theft app, I would recommend Cerberus app. Encrypt the data if you put sensitive information on it. Just a future reference, the app "Plan B" by Lookout Mobile Security does not work on anything above Android 2.3. I hope this has taught you a valuable lesson. And that you have learned from your mistakes.

If your tablet is still on, working, and not factory reset, you have a small chance with plan b:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/details?id=com.planbnew&token=6NzYcHYg
Install this via the play store on your pc. The one star reviews are mostly from idiots that don't realise their phones have been wiped, and therefore the app never installed.

And I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but consider these things before it's lost next time...

Good luck!

Ok first of all that seems to be more of a fraud than anything. Aside from all the negative reviews, the description specifically states "This is the first and only app that you download AFTER you've already lost your phone." How can this be true when the real Plan B from Lookout Mobile Security also specifically states in the description "This is the first and only 'find my phone' app that you download AFTER you've already lost your phone. " This contradicts each other and any person would rather trust a well known developer with the app that has between 5k and 1M installs compared to the 500-1k installs.

I installed Cerberus, one more question: do I need to install it on the other accounts on my tablet as well to protect it?
What if someone tries to login to one of the other accounts, will those automatically be protected as well or not?

I'm not 100% sure about this but from the nature of those other accounts I believe you will need to install it on each of those accounts. But just to be sure, send a message to the Cerberus app team and they will tell you the answer.

thanks

I would recommend Cerberus, they allow you to convert the app to system so that it can survive a factory reset. Granted that you are rooted or at least have an unlocked bootloader. I'm not exactly sure how it would work on a Nexus 7 wifi only because these kinds of things need internet access. However, when I tested it out on my Nexus 7 it would not work when the wifi was off, but it did work when it connected to wifi again long after I sent a command to it. So you should probably pin/password protect it so they don't see your information. And if you had the bootloader unlocked and had the app in the system, when they factory reset and think all is good and connect to wifi you can send commands to it.