Nexus 7 pust-to-tv, Miracast working?

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has any recent update on being able to stream content from your Nexus 7 to your TV? I bought a Netgear NeoTv MAXX Streaming Player and realized this isn't the right equipment I need to stream from my N7 to my TV.

Does anyone recommend a specific brand and type of wireless display adapter or is it even possible to stream from tablet to TV? Please HELP, I'm eager to get it working.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
No, while the 4.2.1 OS update added the potential for Miracast, so far only the Nexus 4 actually does Miracast. It is not clear yet whether the Nexus 7 will ever support Miracast, and it's not clear yet if its lack of support is an issue of software or hardware.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I haven't got my Netgear PTV3000 to work. Yes in 4.2 update they did put in Miracast hooks in Android. So far every Miracast approved device has dual band Wi-Fi. The N7 only has single band Wi-Fi. My new Asus laptop won't work either since it is single band. The Miracast group doesn't say anything about dual band. However I have seen a YouTube video on the N7 that was a review that claims that single band Wi-Fi is the issue with the N7 and Miracast.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't trust a YouTube reviewer to have the correct information. It could be correct, but I would like a more authoritative source.

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
OK. Thanks you and everyone else for replying. After researching so much about the latest update and the ability to stream, I got so excited but, was heartbroken. Which was why I asked the question in this post.

Too bad. Oh well, all we can do is wait. From now on I'll just use my Micro to HDMI cord for my phone or stream using my laptop and HDMI cord. Its amazing how technology has consumed us... I Like It! Haha. Again, thanks peeps for replying. Let's hope they (Google) fixes the issue sometime before Spring 2013. :cool:

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
While it's not exactly what you were looking for, you can stream media from your N7 to your TV thru DLNA or UPnP types of apps. I use iMediaShare Lite and it is quite useful.

You can display your N7 screen on your PC using any remote desktop program eg VNC ...Just search at google play for "remote desktop" or "VNC".

iMediaShare Lite https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...SwxLDMsImNvbS5iaWFub3IuYW1zIl0&token=NY_OJaNC.

BubbleUPnP https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bbleupnp&feature=search_result&token=YsFAz1EC

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the issue is with a single wifi channel, it'll be a crappy experience. So even if someone hacks up the Android code to work w/ the N7 eventually, you'll get maybe 720p resolution but never 1080p over wifi...and even then it might be choppy....

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue is with a single wifi channel, it'll be a crappy experience. So even if someone hacks up the Android code to work w/ the N7 eventually, you'll get maybe 720p resolution but never 1080p over wifi...and even then it might be choppy....

I never saw the overwhelming utility of using the n7 as the source of media myself since I have a PC wired to a gigabit network to a DLNA 1080p media server that plays everything to the TV...would be overkill, LOL

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend the #SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 2 7" or the 10.1" Depending on what you are looking for in a Tablet. The Samsung Galaxy Tablets have the HDMI out-port already and the SG Tab 2 7" has the HDMI out AND a slot for expandable memory (SD card slot).
I was given this as a gift, I so desperately want the ability to show whatever is on my screen on my TV. I heard about a dock coming with possible hdmi out capabilities, but then only apps like netflix or movies on the tablet itself. If I was to exchange my Nexus 7 for another android tablet with HDMI out, does anyone have a good suggestion?

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I was given this as a gift, I so desperately want the ability to show whatever is on my screen on my TV. I heard about a dock coming with possible hdmi out capabilities, but then only apps like netflix or movies on the tablet itself. If I was to exchange my Nexus 7 for another android tablet with HDMI out, does anyone have a good suggestion?
While I can't exactly recommend it as I've never used it, the Acer Iconia Tab A110 is another option to consider if you absolutely must have HDMI-out, it also has a micro-sd slot.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

What's wrong with 720p? On a smaller screen (48" and smaller) you can't even tell the difference from 720 and 1080p I would accept 720p in a heartbeat using a N7 on a TV.

ffastffrank

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
YES, Nexus 7 to TV Miracast WORKS

Hello I have been able to play YouTube Videos to a TV using an Apple TV 2 box and Nexus 7 Tablet using 'AppleTV Airplay Media Player" (free app by ZappoTV) over a common WiFi network. It took a few trys to get it working, so don't give up.

1. Connect your Apple TV and Nexus to the same Wifi network. Make note of Apple TV "Name".
2. Install (free app) above to Nexus 7
3. Tap AppleTVMedia icon to start app and Register First or Login
4. Tap Devices (Across Bottom of Screen are: Browse, Now Playing, MyZappoTV, Devices and Help)
5. You should see the Name of Your Apple TV. Tap and it should appear in Currently Selected Apple TV Player
6. Tap Browse and Select YouTube from List of Items (Video Podcasts, Android Gallery, ShoutCast, Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, etc...)
7. In YouTube, Tap Search and Enter fffastfffrank and Tap Submit
8. A Mobile Nations Video should appear, so Tap it. That is this author's recording.
9. Tap on Your Apple TV Player "Name" as you noted in Step 1. Player on Nexus 7 simply plays on your Tablet.
10. It takes a few moments depending on your network speed for the Now Playing Screen to appear with controls.
11. The Name of the Youtube Video should appear above the Pause, Start, Stop Controls with the time indicator.
12. At times, I have had to jump around to get it going.

If you figure out better steps, let me know and I can edit this so there is ONLY ONE ITEM TO READ.

I was also able to show photos from the Gallery on the Nexus 7. Should be able to play music, but still trying to get it going.

If this helps you, please give a thumbs up.

Good Luck, Frank

ffastffrank

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Since I have & teach both apple and Android devices, Apple TV2 is doing fine. What I really want is Apple/Roku WiFi like device that connects to TV via 15 Pin VGA connector. Both projector systems I have to deal with have VGA connectors. HDMI works with TV's OK. Any suggestions appreciated.

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info and help. I still rather view content from my Nexus 7 on my TV much easier than what you shared. Plus, I rather pay less for a NetGear equipment that will be capable of mirracast than paying much more for the Apple TV device. Thanks for the help though.

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Spend the $50 on a roku and get more content.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Streaming content from a Roku is not quite what I want to do. I am interested in streaming content from my Nexus 7 to my TV or any TV (mirroring). My Nexus 7 has Mirracast since the last update but apparently there are NO devices that have or support Mirracast to allow streaming from tablet to TV, with WIFI alone.

I've bought the NetGear Tv Maxx, kinda like the Roku, thinking that I can stream from my tablet to my TV via Mirracast (mirroring).

leo_at_princeton

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I love my Apple TV that it can show all my iPad2 and iPhone 4S content on my HDTV including videos I enjoy playing in web browser. I have been looking a way to do the same thing with my new Nexus 7. Is there a way that i can do so? I tried some of the free apps from Google Play they dont work the way I want. They usually only play content of those preset website like youtube and dont allow me to stream my tablet to TV. It would be great if I can make use of the Apple TV but I dont mind if i need to buy another device to work with n7. I am kinda new to Androd system so I appreciate all your suggestion.

Thank you and happy holiday.

Mr.Audio

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Guys,

Understand that the Nexus 7 was intentionally designed with certain compromises to keep costs down. Removing things like a rear camera, wired microphone input (the headphone jack is output-only), HDMI output, and dual-band WiFi were cost-cutting decisions that had to be made to get the N7 down to the desired price-point ($199 for the base model). As awesome as the N7 definitely is, it was simply never intended to be a "hero device" that did absolutely everything. If mirroring your tablet to a TV is a priority, the Nexus 7 isn't the right tablet choice for you.

Fortunately, there are plenty of other good options on the market that will work for you.

DMD9

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
"I would recommend the #SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 2 7" or the 10.1" Depending on what you are looking for in a Tablet. The Samsung Galaxy Tablets have the HDMI out-port already and the SG Tab 2 7" has the HDMI out AND a slot for expandable memory (SD card slot)."

SG Tab 2 7.0 does not do HDMI out as the standard adapters do not work. Samsung never actually released a working adapter for the Tab 2 7.0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34