Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rainman4tech
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi disaster

Hi guys,

This week I have experienced an incredibly annoying problem with my wifi.
    1. I activate wifi, and put in the key
    2. It connects
    3. It will not let me onto the internet.
    4.It says 'saved, secured with wep key'.
    5 This means the tablet is all but useless for anything but games

Please help, anything is appreciated

Default Re: Wifi disaster

wep? How old is your router? You should not be on the wired equivalency standard, you should be on WPA/WPA2. Sounds like a new router to me.

There are two parts to this story, Matthew

But before that, the basic you may need to read up on here

The first is configuring your WIFI router/hotspot/modem/etc "server" device - for that we need to know what device it is. Make and Model, at least. How that server device is configured is also significant but we can ignore that for the moment.

The second is configuring your Nexus 7 to connect as a client to that server. This part is not very hard but depends totally on which server you want to connect to.

Keep in mind that your Nexus 7 can and potentially will connect to a large number of Wifi servers as a client and this is not a problem - we can always add more - as many more as we like. To help you in this part of the job, you can get a free app like WiFi Analyser which will help you pick from those available in any area. You may find that there is free Wifi provided by someone else close to your house even, LOL.

This should get you started but there is always lots to learn.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I should probably elaborate. I have previously been able to get onto the internet using my router, so I don't know if that is the problem. Whenever I press 'connect' on my home internet it comes up with a signal level, and a padlock symbol. I always have signal, and I have entered the wep key several times, but to no avail.

First thing, if you haven't done it, is to power cycle / reboot the router. Second, make sure you are connecting to your router, not a neighbor's. lastly, forget all connections on the N7 and start over. Hope you get it working.

If this is your only wireless device, it would not be too much trouble to go into the router and RENAME the WiFi connection. That will let you do a completely new login with the same password, if you do not change the password on the router.

You REALLY need to set the security on the router to WPA2 or at least WPA. A script kiddie can break into a WEP WiFi network in under 2 minutes using commonly available hack programs.

Just a quickie note be sure you are entering the password correctly, I just helped a friend connect his iPad to his home network and he was sure he had the WPA2 password, had it written down on a paper. He had been trying for several weeks. After jumping through all the Linksys hoops to get into the router we discovered his copy of the password was wrong real password: a2... his note : aZ... Found out the note was a copy of another note and the digits got changed, funny close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades not computers.
    Rainman
    B. Diddy likes this.

How about if you use hand grenades to play horseshoes?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums