Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by 905 View Post
    I am finding this a major irritant my only one so far on a device which I'm otherwise very pleased with. Would really like the option to either space the prompts/reminders out a bit more, or to check for updates manually.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-2-update.html
  2. #27  
    905
    905 is offline
    905's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    I saw that, thanks. Alas, I'm not an experienced user with a rooted device.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    Hi, I'm new here. I have purchased a Nexus 7 as a gift for my husband. I opened it, checked it for any screen lift issues (none), and have updated it to 4.1.2 at the library (no wifi at home yet) and it has been working nicely. At that time, I loaded a few of my husband's favorite apps on it. Not many, just Nook, Aldiko, Amazon app store, Amazon Mp3, Amazon Mobile, Weatherbug Elite, ES File Explorer, HD Widgets and Tapatalk.

    That was all I did the first session, but the next time I went to the library, it apparently downloaded the next update 4.2 automatically and it now keeps asking if I want to install. Well, I did a search online first, saw that people had had issues with 4.2, so I have not installed yet.

    Should I install 4.2 and then update to 4.2.1?

    Or should I uninstall the apps, set to factory settings and then do the updates? I just want him to have a tablet "ready-to-go" so he can play Christmas morning. I've got a case (Speck Fitfolio) and made a flawless install of a screen protector yesterday.

    I don't think he'll like the constant nag about installing the update. However, if the tablet continues to perform like it is doing now, I think he will LOVE it!

    What to do? The features of 4.2 sound nice, but I don't want to bork up his tablet.



    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Thing Two).
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    I recommend you make a flash the ROM of 4.2.1 and then reinstall all his apps. That way he gets a factory 4.2.1, not just an updated 4.2.1.

    As for me, I would do the exact same thing if I had mine, but due to a little shortage of money right now my purchase will be delayed once again, till I get to the point that I won't get it after all of how I annoyed I already am. Patience just isn't my kind of thing...
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by kimikookskookis View Post
    I recommend you make a flash the ROM of 4.2.1 and then reinstall all his apps. That way he gets a factory 4.2.1, not just an updated 4.2.1.
    Um, have absolutely no idea how to "flash a ROM"?

    Perhaps I should just do a factory reset and hope it works OK, when I do the update?



    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Thing Two).
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    Do a factory reset and then update. Maybe do another factory reset after.

    Or you just look up instructions for flashing the ROM But make sure it's for the Nexus 7
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    Thanks! I'm thinking I should just go ahead and update and hope for the best. I will search on the flashing ROMs thing and see what that entails.

    I would like to learn about stuff like this and rooting, but can't afford right now to mess up an expensive device. Besides, usually the instructions are usually not quite basic enough for me to feel comfortable that I know what I am doing. I need the guide for senior citizens!

    For instance, my Note was a lucky happenstance, hubby knew I craved one, and a co-worker of his suddenly decided to sell his two week old phone because he didn't like AT&T, (and right before my birthday at that) so hubby got it for $225, no contract! Can't find a deal like that too often! But if I should brick it, I can't replace it.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Thing Two).
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    Found ROM flash instructions on XDA, looks like I could do that, but I will hope I don't have to. Haven't done much from a command prompt in a long, long time. Like maybe since my Radio Shack 8080 and DOS. Guess that dates me!

    Anyway, thanks for the help!

    Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
  9. #34  
    henywatty's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    I recommend that you don't hold back, as the software only has minor issues, if any. If you hold back, you miss out on lots of great new features for a while, such as gesture typing.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by rootbrain View Post
    I refuse to update to 4.2.x as of now. I will remain on 4.1.3, but I am using the 4.2 bootloader (vsn 4.1.3) because it does solve problems when booting. The I don't need, and I have requested from Google an option to "opt out". Not sure if it will happen, but the phone version of 4.2.x does not have multi-user and the associated updated file system partitions that tablet uses. So I don't see why the tablet version is forced to use it.

    There are other issues, none unsurmountable though.
    I may be missing something but I don't need or use the multi-user function in 4.2.1 but it does not bother me as it seems to be completely transparent if not used.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    When I read about the problems that users have since 4.2 and especially 4.2.1, then those are not just minor issues.

    Using a DOS prompt or Terminal is by far not as complicated as it sounds It's actually easier than all the clicking

    Since I won't have a computer for flashing the ROM I have to just do the regular update and then a fac reset for now. Will probably order it on monday - finally! Till then I will do a little more research to panic myself even more And if you don't hear from me, I either never received it or I didn't order it after all, cause on monday my prepaid card expires, and I won't be able to go online till I have the tablet and an active SIM card.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by henywatty View Post
    I recommend that you don't hold back, as the software only has minor issues, if any. If you hold back, you miss out on lots of great new features for a while, such as gesture typing.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    Well, I did the update this afternoon! I factory reset first, then did both updates, then factory reset again.

    So far so good! The tablet seems smooth and fast as ever. No screen flicker. Wifi connects OK. Battery appears to be discharging at a reasonable rate. My Arriva Leo bluetooth headphones paired up quickly and seemed to be working reasonably well. I did get some pops when about 20 feet away from the device, but it wasn't happening all that often. Mostly the reception seemed OK enough. Hubby does not have any bluetooth stuff anyway, so even if bluetooth was borked, chances are Google would have it fixed before he decides he needs it.

    Tablet connects fine to my Win7 64-bit box for file transfer, remains to be seen if it will like hubby's Vista machine.

    Auto-brightness might be acting a little funky, I don't know, since I don't use that on my Note.

    I did go through all the Google apps and checked settings, I tend to prefer some things to sync only when I tell them to. Not sure what hubby will prefer, but he often complains when we are out that any wifi connection we might have is slow, so I suspect he has not checked through his apps and probably has a lot of unnecessary data sync going on. He's kind of a leave everything on defaults sort.

    Turned off the Daydream feature.

    Now I've put it on to charge.

    Anyway, think hubby will like the new quick settings pull down! It's probably a good thing I'm getting more familiar with the device so I can help him get it all set up.

    The only catch to this whole thing is that I am starting to want my own Nexus 7 or perhaps a 10!

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Thing Two).
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

    Default

    That's exactly what I want to hear

    Quote Originally Posted by pfunnyjoy View Post
    Well, I did the update this afternoon! I factory reset first, then did both updates, then factory reset again.

    So far so good! The tablet seems smooth and fast as ever. No screen flicker. Wifi connects OK. Battery appears to be discharging at a reasonable rate. My Arriva Leo bluetooth headphones paired up quickly and seemed to be working reasonably well. I did get some pops when about 20 feet away from the device, but it wasn't happening all that often. Mostly the reception seemed OK enough. Hubby does not have any bluetooth stuff anyway, so even if bluetooth was borked, chances are Google would have it fixed before he decides he needs it.

    Tablet connects fine to my Win7 64-bit box for file transfer, remains to be seen if it will like hubby's Vista machine.

    Auto-brightness might be acting a little funky, I don't know, since I don't use that on my Note.

    I did go through all the Google apps and checked settings, I tend to prefer some things to sync only when I tell them to. Not sure what hubby will prefer, but he often complains when we are out that any wifi connection we might have is slow, so I suspect he has not checked through his apps and probably has a lot of unnecessary data sync going on. He's kind of a leave everything on defaults sort.

    Turned off the Daydream feature.

    Now I've put it on to charge.

    Anyway, think hubby will like the new quick settings pull down! It's probably a good thing I'm getting more familiar with the device so I can help him get it all set up.

    The only catch to this whole thing is that I am starting to want my own Nexus 7 or perhaps a 10!

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Thing Two).
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    Well, it's early days yet, I suppose it is still possible I could see the random reboot issue, or experience a long charge time or battery drain, but so far things are looking good. I'm running it through its paces as best I can. We have two weeks after Christmas to return if any defects show up.



    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Hold back on Android updates?

    With location services and most background data turned off, battery is doing fine. At 99% last night, still there this morning.

    I did assorted Google app updates so hubby won't have to, I did notice that I got a BAD screen flicker while downloading and installing the Chrome update, but that went away once it was installed.

    I've downloaded the manual from Google Play books and installed some of his favorite apps.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Thing Two).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Updating apps on Android
    By bstryd in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 11:07 AM
  2. GMail alerts me on Android when updated on desktop!
    By studentdoctor in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 05:49 PM
  3. Getting back on the Android bandwagon
    By mapexvenus in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
  4. back on android
    By smanzor88 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 07:07 PM
  5. Update on Android Market (T-Mobile)
    By kek0000 in forum Market Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 01:00 PM

Posting Permissions