Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus and low vision accessability

I am Visually-Impaired; not blind, but Visually-Impaired. I have been since birth and have adapted to be sightcentric. I want to use what limited vision to the best of my ability and interact with my N7 using my sight. I've tried the eyes-free accessabilty options available on the N7, and could not get on with them, so at present I am using the standard N7 screen magnification options.

My question is, are there any better visual acessability apps available? And are there any othe VI N7 users out there? How do you interact with your tablet? Any tips or experiences would be welcome.

Default Re: Nexus and low vision accessability

I would like more info on accessibility as well. I just bought my wife a new Nexus 7 tablet and her immediate complaint is: I need this to be high contrast, otherwise I cannot use it and you might as well return it. Additionally, she suffered from Fuch's disease (Endothelial Dystrophy) where the results even post-corneal transplant are a need for high contrast (yellow text on a black background where the text is at least 16 point).

A Google search revealed the possibility of ICS/JB 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 having such features in the accessibility options, but so far the most I can get out of the tablet is 4.0.2 (it updated overnight from the 4.0.1 that it came loaded with).

Google/Android -- we REALLY REALLY need your assist with this! It is such technology that allows those with eye-sight disabilities of all forms to have access to the world. Myself and my wife would greatly appreciate attention on it.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by ljr1981 View Post
    I would like more info on accessibility as well. I just bought my wife a new Nexus 7 tablet and her immediate complaint is: I need this to be high contrast, otherwise I cannot use it and you might as well return it. Additionally, she suffered from Fuch's disease (Endothelial Dystrophy) where the results even post-corneal transplant are a need for high contrast (yellow text on a black background where the text is at least 16 point).

A Google search revealed the possibility of ICS/JB 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 having such features in the accessibility options, but so far the most I can get out of the tablet is 4.0.2 (it updated overnight from the 4.0.1 that it came loaded with).

Google/Android -- we REALLY REALLY need your assist with this! It is such technology that allows those with eye-sight disabilities of all forms to have access to the world. Myself and my wife would greatly appreciate attention on it.
    On my note 2 there is a negative colors option under accessibility. Check to see if your device has that maybe that will help the the contrast issue

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

We gave up on the iPad because - before you get into the big fonts on the browser - you have to muck with the little fonts in the settings. If you lose battery or reboot, you're back to the little fonts. Is the Android tablet any better? Any tablet a full 8.5x11 inch or A4 size yet?

I know there is an app called Big Launcher available in the play store, it's a replacement homescreen which gives giant icons for your home screen, like phone, text messaging, quick-dial contacts, etc. Unfortunately the full version costs money, and it doesn't do anything to change menus, Web browser, apps, games, etc. Could be a piece towards your goal, though.