Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: Do I really need 32 gb on the Nexus 7?

You can get the 32gb Nexus 7 on eBay right now for $216.99.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

I also need to know how to watch movies on my Nexus while traveling and where can I download the movies from ?? THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by IcePonyGirl View Post
    I also need to know how to watch movies on my Nexus while traveling and where can I download the movies from ?? THANKS!
    Try this app for when you are connected:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nRhbC5wbGF5Il0.

When you are not, you will need to make backups of your DVD movies and xfer them to your N7.

When did TV portal get back on the play store? I had to install it sideways...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    42... need I say more...

a week or two ago or less - i did not see the switch but have used it for months.

I assume the upgrade button works now but have not gotten around to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    That 64GB card is nowhere near as fast as the internal storage. And it costs them more than $2. They're definitely making a profit on it but so what? You're still getting an amazing tablet for a really good price. Google needs to make some kind of profit on this thing.
    Yes, probably more than $2, but not much more. Not any where near $100 bucks more to go from 32 - 64 as some phones and tablets charge. Even worse when they make you pay $100 to go from 16gb to 32gb. (I know most are $50 but a good amount at $100.) Not when an entire 64GB micro SD card is $42 retail. And I am not arguing that it isn't a good price. The base price on these $200 android tablets is awesome. But the memory upgrades have huge profit margins compared to the rest of the device.

All I am saying is the profit margin on the memory upgrades is the same as it used to be when it cost the manufacturers more.

And the speed thing is not huge at all. Especially since the main thing most people seem to be doing is storing music and movies with that much storage. You don't need lighting storage for this. Wanting the fastest speed storage just because it is faster, regardless of actual need or use, is like needing to get to school down the block in under 30 minutes so you take a racecar. Still gonna get you there. That is just a moot point. The margin on the memory is ridiculous and they charge it because they always have and can. Business 101. If you can charge em for it, do it. Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Doesn't mean the mark up isn't ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Um, what? My laptop has about a 5 hour battery life so are you saying I shouldn't have more than 2 movies and a few dozen songs stored on it? Did you forget that there are cables that can actually charge your device up again when it dies? Smh
    Actually that wasn't my point at all, the 14 hour battery life thing was a throw away. I shouldn't have written it, pretend it isn't there if it makes you happy. The main point is people who have the 4 months of music on their phone. I agree there is no problem having more music than battery life, I am sorry the second part of my statement offended you. It was not the main thrust of my point. 4 months of non-repeating music on a phone is nothing like having more than 5 hours of music on a laptop. It's an unfair comparison. One makes sense, the other is excessive.
    Thanked by:
    Stefan Bosch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    the other is excessive.
    hehe --- here is to excess !! hey, if someone wants to have 64 movies on their N7, they can spend the 40 bux for (2) 32GB microSD chips - no skin off your nose is it ? They even make a little creditcard holder that will hold 10 chips....my my -- that's 320 GB (200 bux) of music and movies and you can fit more than one in your wallet !!

Cheers ...
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yes, probably more than $2, but not much more. Not any where near $100 bucks more to go from 32 - 64 as some phones and tablets charge. Even worse when they make you pay $100 to go from 16gb to 32gb. (I know most are $50 but a good amount at $100.) Not when an entire 64GB micro SD card is $42 retail. And I am not arguing that it isn't a good price. The base price on these $200 android tablets is awesome. But the memory upgrades have huge profit margins compared to the rest of the device.
    You agree the base price is awesome, so why complain when Google/ASUS make a little extra money on the higher storage models? Would it be better if they met around the middle and sold the 7 for around $220 and $240 for the 16 and 32GB models? Of course if you want a 32GB model you'll say yes, but if you want the cheapest Nexus 7 possible or you want more people to get their hands on Android tablets, you wouldn't agree. Google will sell far more Nexus 7's with their current pricing than if they decided to make the same amount of profit on both devices, so that's what they do. Offer the base model for dirt cheap and try to make some of their money back on the higher storage model.

I feel Apple charging $100 for an extra $16GB (32GB model devices) is practically robbery, but I personally don't mind paying $100 for an extra 32GB of internal storage, because they are making a decent profit off of that without raping my wallet.

And the speed thing is not huge at all. Especially since the main thing most people seem to be doing is storing music and movies with that much storage. You don't need lighting storage for this. Wanting the fastest speed storage just because it is faster, regardless of actual need or use, is like needing to get to school down the block in under 30 minutes so you take a racecar. Still gonna get you there. That is just a moot point. The margin on the memory is ridiculous and they charge it because they always have and can. Business 101. If you can charge em for it, do it. Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Doesn't mean the mark up isn't ridiculous.
    Well yeah, if all you want to use your phone for is to watch videos and listen to music and don't mind waiting longer to transfer dozens of GBs to your device. But apps also need to be saved in this storage and slower storage makes your device run like crap. You'll get to school a block away on time on a bicycle, but after school, you'll struggle to get to work across town. What you're saying is you'd rather Google use cheaper components to give you an even better price on an already cheap product.

Actually that wasn't my point at all, the 14 hour battery life thing was a throw away. I shouldn't have written it, pretend it isn't there if it makes you happy. The main point is people who have the 4 months of music on their phone. I agree there is no problem having more music than battery life, I am sorry the second part of my statement offended you. It was not the main thrust of my point. 4 months of non-repeating music on a phone is nothing like having more than 5 hours of music on a laptop. It's an unfair comparison. One makes sense, the other is excessive.
    First off, you never offended me. We're just having a discussion. Second, I don't think that was an unfair comparison. If having more music than battery life on a phone is dumb, why isn't it also dumb on a computer? But you said just forget about it so I won't keep talking about it. I don't see what's wrong with carrying your entire (or a large portion of your) collection of music on your phone though. It's so much more convenient than having to constantly manage your music with your computer, and nice to be able to play any song you want at any time because they're all with you all the time. But there are also people who use all that storage for movies. Movies can take several GBs each, so your storage will fill up quick if you keep too many.

ROM
    Paranoid Android 2.0

32 if your gonna load music.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by GiantJay View Post
    You can get the 32gb Nexus 7 on eBay right now for $216.99.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Now 17 bucks for the extra 16gb. If that's brand new I say go for the 32gb at 217.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I just bought a 64gb class10 SD card for $35. I plan to use the OTG cable to stream media to my N7 with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    hehe --- here is to excess !! hey, if someone wants to have 64 movies on their N7, they can spend the 40 bux for (2) 32GB microSD chips - no skin off your nose is it ? They even make a little creditcard holder that will hold 10 chips....my my -- that's 320 GB (200 bux) of music and movies and you can fit more than one in your wallet !!

Cheers ...

Quote Originally Posted by dsneedmd View Post
    I just bought a 64gb class10 SD card for $35. I plan to use the OTG cable to stream media to my N7 with it.
    Exactly why I think $50 for 16gb is a lot. Channan agrees $100 for 16gb is too much but will happily pay $50. There is a tipping point somewhere in there for everybody.

You are paying .54 cents a gig. $50 for 16 is 3.12 a GB. Looking at 6.24 a GB for those $100 upgrades apple loves or the $50 8gb upgrade on the Nexus 4. 6x-12x as expensive as retail flash memory. Awesome markup. Especially since I doubt any OEM pays .54 a GB because that's retail. Its why I would love expandable storage instead of needing accessories and otg cables and what have you to do so.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dsneedmd View Post
    Good price !! Just think of the wonderful excess....640 GB per credit card storage.... you could load full movie ISOs with that kind of excess but the only issue is the time it takes to load all the data. Some of the flash card readers are pretty slow. When the 128 GB cards come down in price we can REALLY boogie with over a terabyte, load the library of congress....the tax code...civil code of all 50 states and the federal govt...........NAH !
    Stefan Bosch likes this.

It's kind of like asking how big a closet you need. How much stuff do you want in there?

Mine is 8GB and it still has 2-3GB free space after half a year of use. YMMV. I usually have a wifi connection, except on airplanes, so that's one factor. Another factor is not having any movies or graphics-intensive games on it, and only 4-5 hours worth of mp3 files plus a few epub books. I do have a dropbox account and an OTG adapter but so far the onboard storage has been plenty, so I've used them to get files onto the Nexus 7 rather than being extra storage. Like I said, YMMV.

Whichever one you choose, enjoy it!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123