Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do I really need 32 gb on the Nexus 7?

I'm what you might call a really, really "late adopter," but I think I finally want to get a tablet. Since one of my primary motivations is to have an e-reader, a smaller device seems more comfortable for that use. I thought I might do the iPad Mini, but the big price tag and relatively low resolution screen turned me off. So then I started looking at the Nexus 7, and it seems like a good fit.

So now the question is: 16 gb or 32 gb? I know lots of folks around here will say "better safe than sorry -- get the 32." But I'm not an avid technophile, so spending even $199 on an optional device feels like a splurge. And I'm considering it kind of an experiment, so I don't want to spend more than necessary.

Here's how I'm going to use it: Mainly for reading (e-books & web) and checking email. I don't travel much, but when I do I might want to download maps -- but I probably won't save many of them permanently. The app world is a great unknown to me, but I'm sure there will be some that will interest me -- so consider me a light/moderate user there. And I'd like to be able to store some music on it (store rather than stream -- I'll be using Wi-Fi only).

Here's how I won't use it: Games. Ever. I might watch a movie/tv show on it once in a blue moon, but given the screen size, it'll be very rare if ever.

So what do you think? Can I get by comfortably with the 16gb? Or will I regret my penny-pinching?
    EnlightenedSoul likes this.

Default Re: Do I really need 32 gb on the Nexus 7?

I too am new to it. All I can tell you is that after a couple of days learning what it ( and andriod) can/will do, is that if I could buy one with all the memory I want at $50 per 16gb, mine would have been at least a $500 one. Probably closer to a $1000....lol

Then there's the resale value....

Quote Originally Posted by KLiz View Post
    Or will I regret my penny-pinching?
    You can get the 16 and then when you find out you need more storage, root it (not that hard) and add as much USB Flash memory as you like. The non-rooted version of adding storage with "nexus media importer" is not exactly optimal, but it works ok for some things like watching movies.

My take ? spend the 50 bux - only 2 dinners out around here but years of plentyness on the N7.

32 for sure. I have 7gb of music which leaves little room for video when traveling (I have the 16)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2

I personally think you will be fine with the 16GB model, based on the description of your use-case. If you find you need more storage for various forms of static content, there's always Dropbox, Box.net, or other excellent cloud storage providers. I use my tab for a lot of stuff, including games, ebooks, other content for school and work, and I'm coming nowhere close to hitting the max 16GB internal storage limit.

Do not base your purchase of electronics on their resale value. That's like viewing an average automobile as an investment rather than a giant money pit (which it is).

Good luck and enjoy!
    Thanked by:

Depends on the person, but for you 32 seems like a waste, get 16 for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Just get the 16gb. If you're going to do as you say, the 16gb should be enough for you. I have the 8gb and I have about 1.1 GB left. when I first bought my N7, I was so excited I downloaded all these apps and games. Now they're just stored in there. I just use mine to browse the web, go on YouTube, and watch movies via external hard drive.
    The screen might be small, but once you load in a HD movie, you'll be amazed on how great the screen looks.

I'm probably a similar user as yourself. 40 apps downloaded. Use it for email, browsing, kindle, banking etc and currently have used up only 1.3gb. I don't use it for movies, but I suggest you will be well satisfied with 16gb

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    KLiz 

From reading how you'll use it, I'd say the 16gb will do fine. My only question is how much music you'd like to store on it? If less than, say, 8gb of music, then you'll probably be fine with the 16gb.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Law2138 likes this.

I don't mean to belittle the 16gb votes here, but unless you're on a really tight budget, 16g for only $50 bucks. Are you kidding? Through out my decades of computing, no matter how big something was, it always became tiny and not enough over time. Call it future proofing...ish....
    Stefan Bosch likes this.

I think you'd be fine with 16 GB. But for $49 why not go for 32?

Honestly, I'd probably be fine with 16GB too, but I went for 32 GB.

The way I figure it, I am not going to regret getting 32, but I might regret getting 16.

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    I don't mean to belittle the 16gb votes here, but unless you're on a really tight budget, 16g for only $50 bucks. Are you kidding? Through out my decades of computing, no matter how big something was, it always became tiny and not enough over time. Call it future proofing...ish....
    $50 isn't a lot to me, and it sounds like it isn't a lot for you, but for some people it is, especially if they're not even sure they'll get a lot of use out of a tablet. No need to belittle someone for trying to consider their needs and make a wise decision.
    Thanked by:
    KLiz 
    Channan likes this.

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

YAYtech belittled no one and the reasoning is sound Since you stated $50 is not a deal breaker for you, get the 32gb.

I purchased a Nexus 7 only after the 32gb became available.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    $50 isn't a lot to me, and it sounds like it isn't a lot for you, but for some people it is, especially if they're not even sure they'll get a lot of use out of a tablet. No need to belittle someone for trying to consider their needs and make a wise decision.
    How did you manage to "Quote" my post without actually reading it?
    Unicorn Rancher likes this.

16 would be plenty for the usage case outlined in the OP.

Also, if you are planning to use it as an Ereader first, and everything else a distant second, I would suggest having a serious look at one of the Kindle fires too.

-Suntan
    Thanked by:
    KLiz 

50 bucks for 16 GB, what a ripoff. (Coming from someone who paid 50 to get 8 extra GB on the nexus 4. But 8 is so tiny after the OS is installed...) Never understood how any company can justify a 50 buck upgrade for 8 extra GB, or even 16. When you can get a 64 GB micro SD sandisk for 41 bucks retail it is silly when Google/LG/ASUS wants 50 bucks for 8 or 16 and they can buy wholesale in bulk.

All this talk on how Google must be selling the devices at cost. No way both size models can both be at cost. The mark up on memory upgrades is ridiculous. If the 16gb is at cost then the 32 makes cash. If the 32gb is at cost then the 16gb is sold at a loss. Can't be but 2 or three dollar manufacturing difference.

Pay $50 for every 16gb up to a $1000 tablet? Tablet makers would love that. Prolly make $48 for every $50 upgrade, gotta love those margins.

Maybe that is why they don't include an SD card slot on nexus devices, no one would buy the larger sizes and that would reduce profit. Why buy a 32 GB nexus 7 for 250 when you can get an 80 GB one for 241, or less if you get a no name micro SD card, or a patriot, instead of a sandisk. But people do buy 64gb SGS3's, so who knows. Some people love having up to 128gb of music and videos on their device. Who cares that it has 4 months worth of non-repeated music on it and your phone has a 14 hour battery life. People sometimes pride themselves of having bigger and more than others, even if it is not truly practical. To each their own.

This post turned into 2 or 3 rants spliced together but it is my .02 for what that is worth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Stefan Bosch likes this.

Yes, I'd already read that from you, and while I agree with the missing SD slot, do you have something against profit? My 401k kinda depends on it....

How did you manage to "Quote" my post without actually reading it?
    Saying "I don't mean to belittle" doesn't mean you're not belitting. Talk to someone in person and say "are you kidding?" and see how they take it. Your statement comes across as if anyone who doesn't buy the highest model is making a poor decision. Many people respectfully disagree.
    Thanked by:

I bought the 32 gig model because, hey, you never know. I have the Asus TF101 with a 16 gig sd card and I haven't come close to filling it with stuff. Just wanted to be sure since the N7 doesn't have a micro SD card slot.
    mathelm likes this.

Say you "respectfully disagree" doesn't mean you're being respectful either, right?... "Are you kidding" in this context would mean "you'll have to explane your reasoning", not "are you an *****" (hence the "not to belittle part). And yes $50 bucks is a lot to me, all my penny's have smooth sides and at this point have acquired sentimental value status...

I think you may want go up a size or two on your underwear and save your flaming for PM's.....
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Thanks for the advice. And sorry for starting a squabble. I didn't feel belittled, but I'm married to a man who doesn't always put things in the most diplomatic terms either. But thank you for your defense, YAYTech.

I got enough 16 GB votes that I'm still leaning in that direction. But if I live to regret it, I promise to come on here and say "You were right; I was wrong" to all the 32 GB voters.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Suntan, what do you think the primary advantage of the Kindle fire is? I have looked a little in that direction, but my impression from the reviews I read was that the reading on the Nexus would be just as easy/good (and maybe easier in terms of accessing content from different sources). But it seemed like web/email/app use on the Kindle was going to be more complicated and/or limited. So my conclusion was that the Nexus was a more flexible device with a comparable price point to the Kindle Fire. But I'm open to correction on that -- haven't bought anything yet!

As an avid reader and owner of Kindles as well as the N7, I almost always prefer my Kindle e-Ink screen for reading over the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7.

The reader is just nicer to use, easier on the eyes, smaller, lighter. No reason you can not have both the nexus 16 GB and use the money you saved to pay for most of the $79 dollar kindle, which is just awesome for reading.

edit:
    Hah !! it's 69 dollars right now !!

Kindle - Best-Selling Ereader - Only $69

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

If you are going to be watching videos and such, there is always the option of getting an OTG cable. You can then plug in a flash drive and use Nexus Media Importer to stream them. That way, you are only limited to the number of flash drives you carry with you. I have quite a number of videos on a 32GB flash drive and am able to watch without issue.

That being said, I tend to load up my tablet and would have loved to have the 32GB option when I got my Nexus 7.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )

Say you "respectfully disagree" doesn't mean you're being respectful either, right?...
    Now you're getting it.

I think you may want go up a size or two on your underwear and save your flaming for PM's.....
    If you think I was flaming, you may want to avoid exploring the darker corners of the internet. There was no name calling or insults. I simply pointed out that the way you stated your point could easily come across in a negative tone. And my simply pointing that out seems to have gotten you upset. That wasn't my intention, but instead to get you to try a little harder to see the other point of view in this discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast