Nexus 7 use for purchases using NFC and Google Wallet

Do you use your N7 to make NFC enabled Google Wallet purchases in retail locations?

• Total voters

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a quick question to determine if anyone and how many people use their Nexus 7 tablet for making in-store purchases using Google Wallet and the N7 NFC protocol. I have not really used mine as much as I thought I would initially partially due to the size of the tablet and not having it with me most the time when running into a store. I tried several times unsecussfully to purchase the N4 without success on both 11/13 and 11/27 due to shopping cart issues and have decided to wait until the long shipping times are a little less. One of the features I really like about the N4 is not only its size but also the NFC protocol and being able to use the Google Wallet service on POS terminals.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Early on, there was the credit for setting up Wallet on the N7. I got that credit and used it at the local McDonalds. I haven't used NFC or Wallet since. I could see myself using NFC for some different things, but right now the only place local me that has NFC payments (that I'm aware of) is McDonalds, and I'm not going to bother inputting my credit/debit information into Wallet just for that. I would probably consider using Wallet if I had NFC/wallet in my phone, and a lot more local stores accepted payments that way.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I have used it with my Nexus from VZW. I'm not sure how NFC would work without having an internet connection. I assume it will charge your card at a later time?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have used it with my Nexus from VZW. I'm not sure how NFC would work without having an internet connection. I assume it will charge your card at a later time?

Doesn't need internet - the card info is encrypted on the device and sent to the payment device. Your credit/debit card doesn't use an internet connection, does it? ;)

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I would love to start using Google Wallet on my S3 or my N7 but the whole thing is really a joke for most people.

I say it is a joke because there is virtually no merchant rollout for NFC payment of any sort at this time in most areas of the country--I don't even have LTE in my area under AT&T for S3. Speaking of AT&T, there's another punchline. AT&T is blocking Wallet while they perfect their own version which will take the form of a freshly coiled steamer.

Complete this old-school SAT analogy: Google Navigator is to AT&T Navigator as Google Wallet is to _____________

The point is, even on the device (N7) where I do have Wallet, there aren't any places to use it where I am. Even if I had places to use it, my primary mobile device (S3) is not capable.

The sad thing is that if Apple had made their fanbois spend a few extra dollars for their iPhone 5 and added NFC capability, I believe merchants across the country would have been much quicker adopt NFC as a payment option. Fanbois are typically much easier to separate from their money.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree that if the iPhone ever comes out with NFC and a virtual wallet app then you will see rapid expansion of NFC payment options in many retail locations. I think that as we become more and more technology reliant as a culture that a virtual wallet in some form is on the horizon.

I read a recent Motley Fool article that stated Apple would be releasing the iPhone 5S as early as June of 2013 and NFC was one of the big debuts of the new phone. I don't think their Passbook idea has gained much traction with either merchants or retailers up to this point and one of the reasons I believe is the lack of iPhones NFC capabilities.

I have used my N7 after first receiving it to complete in store purchases, there is a chain of C-Stores that have NFC enabled credit card terminals but like other posters have stated these terminals are not prevalent in most retail stores. The N7 is mounted on my dash with a Satechi bracket system when I drive for navigation and such so removing it and carrying it into a store is less than ideal but if the purchase terminals were more popular and when I get my N4 I will use the technology more frequently. I would love to be enabled to make my purchases and keep store cards on my phone and not have to carry a wallet around.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The article talking about the iPhone 5S was actually taken from an edition of Business Insider and not Motley Fool. Here is a link to that article for reference. I think it is funny that Apple just released the 5 without NFC and now after Google releases the Nexus 4 Apple is already talking of trying to catch up. In another article Apple is said to be looking at releasing an "unlocked" version of the iPhone. Looks like Google has set the bar in this one.

The iPhone 5S Is Coming Next June In 6-8 Colors, Says Jefferies - Business Insider