Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jtskier11
  • 1 Post By carracerz14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Did you get something similar when you unbox your nexus 7

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone had anything similar to me (or is it standard packaging)

I bought a Nexus 7 from PCWORLD here in London, and when i got home and unbox the Nexus 7 couple of things i noticed. The two sticker that hold the box was not damaged.

1. The Nexus 7 screen did not have any protective sleeve or in any plastic wrap like here
    2. When looking at the screen at an angle, i can clearly see two circle marks [IMG][/IMG]
    3. Lastly, on some apps, the screen will flicker constantly, is this a defect with the Nexus 7 or with the apps?

Please can someone put my mind at ease that i didn't buy a refurbished Nexus 7 or someone returned Nexus 7?

Many thanks
    LLYY

Carrier
    Stockness

Default Re: Did you get something similar when you unbox your nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by llyy2012 View Post
    Hello,

I would like to know if anyone had anything similar to me (or is it standard packaging)

I bought a Nexus 7 from PCWORLD here in London, and when i got home and unbox the Nexus 7 couple of things i noticed. The two sticker that hold the box was not damaged.

1. The Nexus 7 screen did not have any protective sleeve or in any plastic wrap like here
    2. When looking at the screen at an angle, i can clearly see two circle marks http://<a href="http://postimage.org...le.jpg</a></a>
    3. Lastly, on some apps, the screen will flicker constantly, is this a defect with the Nexus 7 or with the apps?

Please can someone put my mind at ease that i didn't buy a refurbished Nexus 7 or someone returned Nexus 7?

Many thanks
    LLYY
    Sounds like you got someone elses RMA dud!! Its happened to quite a few people on here.
    Ry likes this.

That doesn't look right. I'd take it back and insist on an exchange.

There should have been a clear plastic film covering the screen to protect it. Those circles make it look like some clown was using the N7 as a coaster for a soda can.

The flicker might be a known issue that some people have reported, where the screen brightness level constantly varies when set to Automatic Brightness. Not sure if it's an Android 4.2 issue (since most people noticed it after the update from 4.1 to 4.2) or if it's just specific to individual units.

In any case, I strongly suspect you got a preowned/returned unit. Demand an exchange, and this time, open the box and inspect the tablet thoroughly before you leave the store!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

This is very annoying, i will take it back tomorrow morning first thing.

Many thanks guys!

Just remember to be polite and I am sure they will oblige. Well actually they have to under consumer rights.

PCW had a lot of flak a few years back for putting used returns back on the shelves. I don't *think* mine had a screen film, but it definitely was in a sealed plastic wrap, the screen was unblemished, and the box was stickered. I got it from Currys (aka PCW) online. Hope you get sorted, I'm sure you will.

Did you check the data to see if there were any files left on there, like pictures, music, books, etc?

Someone used it as a coaster.

Two perfect circle rings. They appear when there are smudges or fingerprints on the screen. Definitely NOT from any misuse on my part and I purchased my Asus Nexus 7 tablet directly from Google. I am guessing the circular smudges are from actions used during assembly or packaging. I have seen other posts claiming similar issues. Others have had success:

1. Cleaning the screen with nonabrasive cloth (seems to help temporarily),
    2. Apply a screen protector, and/or
    3. Return it.

Please repost with your experience!

Quote Originally Posted by llyy2012 View Post
    Hello,

2. When looking at the screen at an angle, i can clearly see two circle marks http://<a href="http://postimage.org...le.jpg</a></a>

Many thanks
    LLYY
    Hi LLYY

I bought one of these in the last 2 weeks or so also from PC world. I had exactly the same marks on my tablet once used for 10mins or so and fingerprints got on the screen... I brought it back once,and they put some stuff on it and then they dissapeared temporarily...after a few days i went back and told them its obviously defective from manufacture..but i did manage to get an exchange,even though I got the feeling they didn't want to give me one and thought i was being fussy lol, thats the impression i got anyways...

I hope you get it sorted!

I had the same problem. I am in the process of returning it.

Carrier
    Arctic HD

I had one there I got from an exchange that had fingerprints all over the plastic and looked like someone tried to re wrap it themselves. To say the least I was passed. Took it back to walmart where they were all out of the 16 gb so they offered me the 32 for 225. Couldn't past that up

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    Live2ride883 likes this.

It's interesting that others have posted pics of these circles. It's been suggested that they're from suction cups that presumably were used to hold and place the glass without damaging it.

I presume you got it replaced OP ?

Carrier
    Stock

Lol! The exact same thing happened with mine.

I had the same ring mark and assumed someone in my house had used it as a coaster. It cleaned off eventually with glass cleaner but it seems too common to be ignored. Does anyone know of an official response to this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by al shookup View Post
    I had the same ring mark and assumed someone in my house had used it as a coaster. It cleaned off eventually with glass cleaner but it seems too common to be ignored. Does anyone know of an official response to this issue?
    Considering the age of this thread and the fact that he returned it, you may of actually gotten his old one......

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    It's interesting that others have posted pics of these circles. It's been suggested that they're from suction cups that presumably were used to hold and place the glass without damaging it.
    Great explanation. Would certainly explain the rings on what appear to be Factory sealed boxes.

I have the same problem. My Nexus not only have 2 circles on screen, the screen also error , it click automatically without any touch.

You can wacth in the clip, at 2:21 I cleaned the screen , all clean except 1 of two circle still last.

Here are the photos:
    Before clean

IMG_4194 by lonelyplanet_tam, on Flickr

After clean

IMG_4197 by lonelyplanet_tam, on Flickr

I do not know the Asus accept my return or not but my Nexus really made me mad.

Carrier
    STOCK

That video was hilarious.
    But when I got mine it only had 1 sticker not 2. xD