Nexus 7 and iPhone 4 Tethering (Can Jellybeans and Apples Co-Exist?)

cotodecaza

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 with IOS 6.0.1. I also have a New nexus 7 32GB WiFi. Is there any possible method that would allow me to tether the two devices together? If not, and I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 or a Samsung Note 2, would this be possible and preferably without rooting.

I found these instructions and would like to know if they are correct. They seem pretty simple. If these instructions are correct, can this be done without having a tethering account. I am on AT&T with my iPhone 4 and since I have been with them since 1997, I was able to keep my unlimited data account. They tell me that if I want to add tethering, I need to switch from my current individual account to a shared data account which will force me to forfeit my unlimited data plan. Since unlimited data plans are no longer available even to a long-time customer changing my account type, that not a viable option. I won't forfeit my data plan.

I have not been able to find anything yet that allows tethering the iPhone 4 with IOS 6 to anything other than adding a tethering account. Apparently even Cydia has no current solution. I did read about something in beta but with the warning that I could brick my phone. If Apple to Nexus 7 is out, can I do the Galaxy S3 or Note 2 to my nexus 7 with Jellybean 6.2 without rooting and without a thethering account on AT&T. Sorry for writing a novel here but I have neither unlocked an iPhone or rooted an Android phone. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Can't speak to any Apple product, but I can set my Samsung Galaxy S+ up as a mobile access point and my N7 (wi-fi only) connects to it fine.

It doesn't require anything special but that may be a feature of my UK provider, Vodafone.

On the Galaxy (well, on mine anyway) it's in Settings/Wireless and Network/Tethering/Mobile AP. Worth a try.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You have a couple easy options. The first is to jailbreak your iPhone (easily done) and then download an app allowing your iPhone to be used as a mobile hotspot. I have used MyFi in the past which is available on Cydia. (google it) The app is $19.99 but as long as you control your data usage and don't get crazy AT&T will not pick you out and take away your unlimited data plan. I used it for almost two years and it worked great but used 3.6 GB of data one month and lost my grandfathered unlimited plan and now have a 5GB tethering plan on AT&T. With MyWi I was able to connect to both my Chromebook and Nexus 7 with no issues.

You can also go with the S3 or better yet with my personal choice the Nexus 4 and use the built in hotspot client to connect. Again, as long as you restrict your data usage you should be able to keep your unlimited plan with no issue. Android does offer the tethering option and it can be easily configured.

jamesc760

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
ATT will know you are tethering due to the fact that android traffic is coming from an apple iphone, and vice versa.

I've been tethering for three yeard without them knowing, until I let my wife tether her iphone to my samsung skyrocket. A few days later I received a nasty gram frpm ATT. I had to call them and beg for forgiveness as I didn't want to lose my unlimited data plan.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech