Google sky maps not working Nexus 7 Update

acefutura

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi All I have only had this new Google nexus 7 one day. I have discovered that the gyro accelerometer and magnetometer has a problem, it wont work in Google sky maps and apps that need the magnetometer like Satellite AR. I have tried to celebrate by doing the usual fix, wave the device in a figure of eight, with no success. I had the 16GB model before replacing it with this 32gb 3g model and it worked fine but not on this new one ? Any suggestions.

Update

I am now on my 3rd Nexus 7 and I don?t believe it, but this one has also a faulty compass. Not a big problem, unless you use Google sky maps or IR satellites where the compass needs to work to find where you are in the sky. I have a HTC Wildfire S not a great phone but it works with both apps mentioned. I really don?t know what to do now, send it back for full refund. Keep it and live with it, or buy Samsung or I pad mini and have done with these Nexus 7. I just wonder how many people don?t know they got a faulty compass in there nexus 7 ???

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I've never gotten the compass to work in any app. Have tried to calibrate several times (out in the yard) with no luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
hmm, mine works. Use the GPS Status app and it will show you a compass that will indicate your heading.

My problem with Google Sky maps is it is so jumpy Sky Map is a LOT better.

chocdog

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Are you using your Nexus 7 in a case with a built-in magnet to activate the tablet's sleep/wake function?

When I tried mine in such a case, the compass/magnetometer was useless. Trying to calibrate by double rotations around each of the three axes (as recommended in the Tools part of the GPS Status app) achieved nothing. When I removed the tablet from the case and again tried to calibrate the compass, there was again no joy. However, after 48 hours out of this case, I found I could calibrate successfully. The compass works well in Google Skymap and the Viewranger app I use.

I left the Nexus 7 to charge last night on the sill of a metal-framed window. While the compass was askew this morning, it responded immediately to the calibration routine.

I now use the tablet in the official Asus-branded plastic/rubber/silicone travel cover or in a waterproof Proporta Beachbuoy case if I take it out on the fells when there might be a serious Cumbrian downpour. Either way, I have to press the power button for sleep/wake. That is not as convenient as opening/closing the flap on the magnetic case, but it is not a serious issue for me.

Of course, the great joy of the Nexus 7 is its high-res screen. I just would not get as much pleasure from reading web pages, ebooks and newspaper apps or viewing my 3GB of UK Ordnance Survey maps on a Galaxy Tab 7 or an iPad Mini. Of course, others may differ - perhaps, for example, preferring the higher colour saturation of the iPad Mini despite its relative lack of clarity.

sholg8

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
My magnetic case also stopped the compass functioning correctly in my Nexus 7. I removed it from the case, re booted, and was then able to calibrate the GPS compass correctly. Now it works well. Had to dump the magnetic case and buy the official Asus case, which has no such magnet in the lid. I am surprised that this problem with magnetic cases is not more widely documented.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown