ATT 3G - How to opt out of Auto Renew when you activate for first time

barry_g

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I just activated my ATT 3G for the first time and wanted to document the auto renew opt out procedure. I signed up on a PC at https://buyasession.att.com - When you give it your credit card info etc, it clearly states that you will be auto renewed every 30 days unless you cancel. There was no option to opt out of auto renew displayed on the screen. I was concerned so I called ATT and spent half an hour on the phone with them. The good news is that you should just go ahead and complete the transaction. When it's done, you can go into your Account Information screen under "My Devices and Plans". Look on the bottom under Purchase History - there's an entry for "enrolled in Auto Renew?". There's a link to "edit plan info" that will allow you to change the "yes" to a "no".

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Good to know. Is it safe to assume then you can opt back in and out as needed? I am thinking some people might only need 30 days of service a couple of times a year for example.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
That is excellent info and should be a sticky of some kind. How are you liking the AT&T data plan? What other providers have you considered?

Thanks...

barry_g

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Good question about opting back in. I asked the CSR this exact question. She couldn't give me a definitive answer but she thought your account would stay viable for some number of months to opt back in but at some point it might get cancelled and you'd just have to sign up again from scratch. It shouldn't be a big issue.

I just signed up last night and can't give you an answer about the ATT data plan yet. I did notice that I get poor reception at my home. Outside of big cities, ATT coverage is poor compared to Verizon, but we don't have that option. I will be trying to use it on a trip next week to North Carolina and not sure what to expect.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm in NC (Winston-Salem area) and AT&T has pretty good coverage here. Had a straight talk phone (via at&t) and it worked great. Haven't tried their data though. I hear that (like everywhere) all the iphoner's clog it up pretty well so....

Enjoy God's country while you're here....next week,,,,:cool:

barry_g

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Funny postscript - for several days, I was struggling to get the 3G data connection working at all, even though 3G sig strength showed as good. I finally opened a chat session with ATT customer service. The rep quickly told me that my new account wasn't "provisioned" correctly and to immediately call an 800 number. I did so, and they fixed it. They refused to extend my 30-day period by the 6 days it wasn't working. They said all they could do was give me 250MB of data for the remaining 24-days. I wasn't a happy camper but had no choice but to say okay. On my account data plan, the extra 250MB first showed up as being added but then showed as cancelled shortly thereafter. Don't want to go through calling them again. That's the kind of service/support you get from ATT I guess - didn't make a fan out of me, for sure.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
They must still have people left over from their monopoly days...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Could anybody please post APN settings for ATT. I had my old sim from my HTC Jetstream tablet and just put it in my N7. The speeds are bad. Up to 1.5 mbps down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae