Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google now voice has changed to US accent

I updated several apps recently, the last of which was Google Search (not sure if that's relevant) and now when I ask Google Now a question using the voice thingy, the voice which tells me I'm going to need my umbrella tomorrow has changed from my nice UK accented man to a slightly nasal sounding American woman. I've looked through various settings and everything seems to be set to UK English.

Is there a way to get my dulcet-toned man back?

Default Re: Google now voice has changed to US accent

Sounds like they changed it to the same as what we in the US have had the whole time. Does it sound like this?

No idea how (if you even can) change it, sorry.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

We are coming for your beer next. The plan is to put it all in the refrigerator.

I have seen that coming up here and there but no real answer to it. I just played with mine and I have a british guy.

I would clear cache on the search app and see what that does. Alternatively, change it to american, reboot, change it to british, reboot.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

You can have the beer - I drink rum!

One of the ratings/comments on the app page on Google Play also mentioned this problem, so hopefully it's not just me being a complete eejit. I'm an Android virgin - my phone is of the stupid, rather than smart, variety, so it's possible I've messed something up.

Tried changing from UK-US-UK with no success. Will now try emptying the cache, if I can remember how. Otherwise I'll just have to wait and see if Google sort it out in the next update.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

No it isn't you. I saw a few other comments on here and other forums all the way back to August of this year.

Not sure what to clear but I can look it up. To get you started it is settings, application manager all applications... Then which ever one. Could be search or language or text to speech.

Rum--see that is where you brits messed up. You should have kept Jamaica and everything around it. Screw the colonies and Spain, prioritize!

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Jamaica is part of the Commonwealth and dear old Liz is still their queen, so we're hanging on with the very ends of our fingernails! I'm doing my best to keep their economy going by knocking back their dark rum. We all have to do our bit in these hard times.

Cache clearing didn't bring back my suave man.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

yeah but it is sorta like Canada isnt it? Same queen, no real British control...

Which app did you clear?

While flipping through I saw a few things.

One, make sure that under language and input, then voice search, language, that the setting is English-UK
    two, same for Google voice typing
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I cleared the Google Search cache. All of the settings you mentioned are @ UK English and yet I still have the American woman telling me that I won't need my umbrella while I'm lying here listening to it pouring with rain outside. I'm in England, for goodness sake - of course I need my umbrella! The British man would have known that.

Will just have to hope that the next update sorts it out. Thanks for your help.
    bc2k, YAYTech and mr_nobody like this.

The important thing is not the accent, but the language. As long as it's using the American language and not that odd British language, everything should be fine.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Yes but wants the British guy back.

I will keep working on an answer

dashdashdot likes this.

Oh yuk! I want the british guy back too!

Sent from my lovely Nexus 7
    dashdashdot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dashdashdot View Post
    and yet I still have the American woman telling me that I won't need my umbrella while I'm lying here listening to it pouring with rain outside. I'm in England, for goodness sake - of course I need my umbrella! The British man would have known that.
    This made me chuckle pretty good!

I can't seem to find any videos online showing the British Accent version of Google Now... shame, I was intrigued.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Found one

He's the only male voice of the three. Just watching this is making me nostalgic!
    Loving owner of a Nexus 7, Samsung Note 10.1, Samsung Note 10.1 2014 & Samsung Note Pro 12.2

Anyone had any luck yet?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I am sorta looking but no luck.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Oh, that's great, Google! Rub salt into my wounds, why don't you!

There has just been a Nexus 7 ad on TV, with my lovely British-voiced man featured. Almost brought a tear to my eye.
    Loving owner of a Nexus 7, Samsung Note 10.1, Samsung Note 10.1 2014 & Samsung Note Pro 12.2
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

DVR it and replay? I think I am striking out on a fix

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Is there a way to contact Google when there are problems with their apps? I did try to find one but, despite the fact I'm a woman and therefore really good at looking for things (and I say this as the mother of two boys,) I couldn't find anything.

Send from my Chromebook
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I think it is a n7 issue so I would say yeah call customer support

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Looking through the reviews on Google play, most of them that mention the disappearing man ARE from Nexus 7 owners, but at least one is from a Samsung Galaxy S3 user, so it's not just a Nexus issue, apparently. I expect Google will get their act together eventually. I'll wait. Thank you for your efforts

I'm (that's short for I am) using an app called Ivona obtained from Google play store. I'ts (short for it is) free. A better voice from the default google voice. I'm (see previous) using the female Kendra voice (US English). They have a version called Amy which is Brit (short for British). They also have Nicole (Australian English), and Gwyneth (Welsh English). I haven't (short for have not) listened to Amy because I'm (see previous) sure I would not be able to understand her. The only male voice is Giorgio (Italian) go figure???

I feel your pain! Am using a rooted HTC sensation with CyanogenMod 10 Jellybean and my voice has gone all U.S. since the update....BOOO!
    dashdashdot likes this.

I'm in the U.S. and I miss the british guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stephenson View Post
    I'm in the U.S. and I miss the british guy!
    Move to England. I hear there are lots of British guys there.
    svfd757 and mr_nobody like this.

I live in Canada and I was able to change the voice from the default american lady to the british man.
    I went to:
    Settings > Language & Input (under the "Personal" header) > Text-to-speech output (under "Speech" header) > clicked the slider diagram to the right of "Google Text-to-speech engine" > Language > selected the "English (United Kingdom)" radial button. I then backed out a couple pages to where it says "listen to an example" and the voice was now changed. Hope this helped. I'm using a Nexus 4 so the menus might be a little different but a Nexus devise's layout is pretty much the reference for any android phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast